For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Cameras All things Still Photography

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Currently: wasting time on snowest
1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entry Level D-SLR cameras

I know we have some good camera people on here, anybody care to offer up some advice?

I am in the market for a somewhat entry level Digital SLR camera to take pictures with while I am snowmobiling as well as taking pictures of cars and stuff when i am at the race track in the summer.

I've been looking at cameras like the Canon 400D XTI or Nikon D40x but am open to anything. I have really no experience with much more than a point and shoot camera and have never been happy with the blue snow those cameras produced. So here I am looking for some advice. Obviously durability is paramount as well as ease of use and $$$, I don't plan on dropping the camera, but I have managed to break the screen on one of the old point and shoots I had. (in front pocket of jacket, met handle bars quite hard). I also don't want it to be obsolete in a year so keep that in mind

As far as my price range, I'd like to keep it around about $400-$600 for a body and starter lense. That will leave me able to buy some more items like a nice case to keep it in and I'll buy more lenses later on as I can afford them.

Any advice? I've been doing some reading but am looking for some advice from real people, not big magazines and professionals who talk above my comprehension level.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Currently: on another forum
Basic Member
icr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a canon rebel xsi, and I'm very happy with it. It has beginner settings and advanced, so you can make it as technical as you want. It would be towards the top end of your price range with a basic wide angle lense but I think you'll be happier buying a nice camera with a cheap lense and upgrading the lense later.

Photoshop can help a lot with color casts as well (ie; blue snow)

Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Currently: Braaaaaaaaaaaaap Pray for MORE snow!
Basic Member
brahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond reputebrahm has a reputation beyond repute

I started off with a 10d (back when they were new).... but I would avoid a DLSR unless you need one.

I plan on buying a regular point & shoot for this year. Unless I'm going out for the sake of just shooting (which does happen often) I hate lugging around a 60lb bag w/camera lenses, batteries ect ect ect.. then spending my time switching lens instead of just snapping away while my friends are doing something fun and spur of the moment. You can get an upper end P&S that has manual settings so you can set white balance ect.. something like a power shot G9/G10

Last edited by brahm; 10-06-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Currently: First one's in, last one's out.
tomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond reputetomMTX has a reputation beyond repute

I shoot with a Nikon D50. Picked up on a steal off the intern0t for $319 right before the D40 came out. Got a Nikkor 18-70mm used lens of Craigs for $200 for a lady that worked at a camera shop. The continuous shot kills for sledding shots. Usually I just crank out like 5-9 shots in a sequence and most of the time get a good shot in there.

Sometimes the whole sequence which is super cool, especially on cornice drops and air time type shots. I hope to pick up the 10.5mm fish and maybe a decent 200mm sometime this season, but sled parts come first right now.

I shoot with it on vacation, misc sports (skateboarding, motorcross, snowboarding, sledding) and just love the results. For a cheap SLR it can't be beat. I bet you could find the body really cheap by some shop that has old stock.

But like Bram said, it's pretty much a pain to lug it out with you. Mine spends more time in the car then it does out on the hill most seasons. I pretty much only take it out on sunny days which basically is never in the PacNW.

I bought a Olympus Stylus 850 (Waterproof, Shockproof, Freezeproof). Thats the cam I'll be taking out daily this season.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
sdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enoughsdobbs20 will become famous soon enough

i learned with a canon rebel xti.

they are all pretty basic, and once you know one you know just about the rest of them.

prices have been coming down on them, could probably pick up a 2 year old one for $400 or so, with maybe a lense not that much more.

lenses are going to be most of your expenses- telephotos, fisheyes, fast lenses are all pretty pricey and value depreciates rather quickly.

often, if you pick up a photographer magazine there will be packages that include the camera, a lense (or 2), and a pack for all of it.

the convenience of a dslr is awesome. just set it on auto if you want the ease of just point and shoot just much higher quality, or you can flip everything to manual and adjust it appropriately with the focus, aperture, and shutter speed, as well as iso.

any questions with any thing just pm me.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Dunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond repute

If I was you I would spend a little more money on a good weather sealed body, maybe find a used Nikon D200, you wouldn't have to worry about using it in the wet weather. I used to use one, it is a good weather sealed body and gets 5fps, it was originally a $1800 body, now you could probably find one for 7-9 hundred bucks, find a used 18-135 lens.

I use a top load zoom Lowepro bag with a chest harness, I ride with it almost every ride, quick and easy access to get great shots.

some of my favorite shots http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...art/?start=all alot of them taken with the D200, I upgraded to the D300

Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Currently: It's not the destination, it's the journey.
Ancient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant futureAncient Sledder has a brilliant future

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-T100. It's not an SLR,but it takes a really good picture and shoots decent video. Small enough to fit in a coat pocket.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Basic Member
dog breath dog breath dog breath dog breath dog breath dog breath dog breath dog breath dog breath dog breath dog breath

Most people buy Canon or Nikon but there are other cameras such as the Pentax and Sony that I believe deserve a look. I suggest you go to http://www.dpreview.com/ and go to buyers guide and search for cameras based on what you want. Most entry level dsl cameras are less than $750.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
PowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond reputePowderProject has a reputation beyond repute

The d 40 x is a great entry camera. It takes great shots. No need for anything else unless you are doing sequence shots.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 AM
x-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond repute

I personally have the Rebel XTI, its a great camera, but one downfall of the canon cameras is the image staibilization is built into the lense, which adds a big cost into the lense, where I believe Sony and Nikon have the image stabilization built into the camera body, so the lenses are alot cheaper if you go to expand.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Rob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond reputeRob1334 has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Currently: Never play leapfrog with a unicorn
Basic Member
RMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond reputeRMKcowboy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Currently: is ready to head west again!
sabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond reputesabels has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Currently: ACTIVELY defend your right to ride.
Polaris & Montana Moderator
Thanked 7,828 Times in 4,522 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Currently: Bored
HighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Currently: wasting time on snowest
1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute1Fast68 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Currently: spoolin' and droolin.
Veedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond reputeVeedy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Currently: does telling yourself "it's ok" actually make it ok?
phatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond reputephatty has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Currently: Loves riding with his son.
SledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
tbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond reputetbeaton has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
x-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond reputex-guy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Basic Member
Waxy is on a distinguished roadWaxy is on a distinguished roadWaxy is on a distinguished roadWaxy is on a distinguished roadWaxy is on a distinguished roadWaxy is on a distinguished road

Click Here to Register

Old 12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
dsp81 has disabled reputation

Click Here to Register

Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Basic Member
KFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond reputeKFD070 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Basic Member
PassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond reputePassRev has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register