• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 Rebuild

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
What the he!! HAPPENED??? :confused:
I began this project in the hopes of replacing some broken fenders and maybe updating the rear suspension. Four hours later the only thing left in the sled was the motor and a few other things.
Then the only question was, (What color?).
Iv'e never taken anything all the way down and rebuilt it before, so for me, my main hope and question is, will it run again?
Iv'e shared this post to maybe get some more ideas and feedback as to what might help my project.
Also to add that there are a heck of alot of good vendors in our sport!! I've found great customer service, knowledge and accountability in some of our vendors, and would like the chance to thank and acknowledge those such people. First of all, my friend of friends who loaned me his shop and tools and mechanic expertise, Tim Adams of Renegade Metalworks in Athol Id., Kevin of Spectrum Powdercoating, Matt with Holz, Rob with F-Bomb, I think it was Mark with SPG, the young lady at mountain machines, Brian at TCP, Carls Cycles, Timbersled, Junior at Boondockers, the crew at Allsport Polaris, the guys at XXXModrods, Avid products and I'm sure I've missed a few!! :D
However for me, the experienced staff and Ron in particular at SLP have gone in my eyes above and beyond. Just plain good o'l people and accountability in the products and service they maintain.
I purchased this sled from Kurt's Polaris in April of 08', and at that time nothing yet purchased for this sled directly from them. It already had an slp pipe on the sled. When this project began I noticed in removing the pipe that a weld on the lower support had failed. I called them, and sent a couple pictures to SLP, to ask if I might weld it back together and how. Within no time, Ron contacted me and wished me well, as I was by his instruction, to bash in the rest of the pipe with a hammer, as he would be sending me a new one for free and no questions asked if I had flipped the sled or caused this potential damage myself. Unbelievable!! I think it goes to show if your willing to speak the truth with some of our vendors and assume responsibility, they will be happy to do the same. :)

Sorry for the long winded soap box!! :eek:

Parts List;

06' Polaris stock IQ 166 chassie and bulkhead ,powdercoated (rd01), red color
Polaris stock 166 series 4, 2.4 track punched, clipped, and ported
Polaris stock 166 rails powdered wrinkle black
WPS ice scratchers, powered wrinkle black
SLP black hyperfax
Avid products 2.52 anti ratchet drivers
Mountain Machines two wheel freedom axel and 9" billet wheels (BLING ;))
Holz red rear suspension with fox floats and powdered black accessories
Holz red A-arm kit with fox floats
Polaris stock spindles powdered wrinkle black
SLP red powder pros with cut out modifications and black loops and shoes
F-Bomb better boards, powdered wrinkle black
SPG 09' rear bumper, powdered wrinkle black
TreeDog Custom's front bumper, powdered rd01 red
SLP torque and push arms
SLP performance edition kit minus the billet head
Timbersled air intake kit
Timbersled sway bar removal covers
SLP ceramic Y pipe, single pipe and can
19/42 gearing
Almond primary spring
74 gram MTX weights
Boondockers Synergy adjustable nitrous kit, usually run approx 50 shot
Polaris new fenders and side panels,
XXXModrods IQ black racer hood
Treedog customs decal design
Articfx polaris racer eyes
Polaris low profile racer windshield
Powermadd 6" riser
Protaper minibars with 09' Polaris 90 degree hooks
Polaris 05' throttle cable
Extended brake cable

View attachment 26114
View attachment 26115
View attachment 26116
View attachment 26117
View attachment 26118
Front view.jpg
ready for motor.jpg

Maybe more to come!!!
I did not put in the comp discs yet because the motor and sled only have approx 700 miles on them, so I'll probably rebuild motor next year, maybe 975 kit although I don't really want to run 50/50 race fuel, and replace mounts at that time. I'd again be interested in some input and more part ideas.
I'm sure alot of people will wonder why I've put time and $ into the old 900 tractor, but if you have to ask you won't ever understand.
Thanx for your time! Any questions, or ideas would be appreciated!
Thanx-T
TRACTORS RULE !!!

Last edited:
E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
:eek:

they're a lot lighter without the motor and all the extra "stuff" in there, huh... :)

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I glad you were able to get a new muffler because of the crack in the front bracket.

When I contacted them (unwrecked and has a cracked bracket leaking exhaust) they told me no way to a warranty and it can't be welded because of the external coating.

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
I glad you were able to get a new muffler because of the crack in the front bracket.

Don, I was very up front with them and you must realize this pipe might have had a couple hundred miles on it. I certainly did not tell this story for everyone else to use it as ammunition to go to SLP with and ask why not me?
I am simply stating I respect a company who will stand bye their product when given the whole history and facts. I very much was not asking for a freebie, and would gladly be willing to pay for the pipe to this day, instead of causing them any grief with this post.
Thanx-T

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Hey Buddy.

I dont have any suggestions, but i wanted to tell you that I respect the amount of work, heart you put into that baby..it truely looks amazing..i am in love..had to subscribe to this thread to see the progress...

cant wait to see pics..i am a huge powder coat addict as well..HMM..my 05 900 166 better watch out for the powder gun..haha..

love it, good luck..

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Don, I was very up front with them and you must realize this pipe might have had a couple hundred miles on it. I certainly did not tell this story for everyone else to use it as ammunition to go to SLP with and ask why not me?
I am simply stating I respect a company who will stand bye their product when given the whole history and facts. I very much was not asking for a freebie, and would gladly be willing to pay for the pipe to this day, instead of causing them any grief with this post.
Thanx-T

Again , I am glad you were able to convince them to warranty the pipe.

P
Nov 27, 2007
What an awesome build!!! Keep taking pics along the way and posting for us to see. I can't wait see it when it has the plastics and hood back on. The red tunnel looks incredibile.

great work!!!

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
another idea

If you wanted to ditch the plastics on the tunnel here is what I did to clean mine up!Looks like you already powder coated the cooler!

Attachments

• DSC00015.JPG
    DSC00015.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 258
H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
have you ran the 9" wheels on that sled yet? from what ive seen 8" is the biggest you want to go because the 9's will make your 2.4" track hit the tunnel on full syspension compresion.

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
have you ran the 9" wheels on that sled yet? from what ive seen 8" is the biggest you want to go because the 9's will make your 2.4" track hit the tunnel on full syspension compresion.

I ran my buddies 900, with 9's last year for a couple days pretty hard. I made a couple small drops and put it to a pretty good test boondockeing and climbing. We didn't notice any marks or problems under the tunnel, so I guess I'll just wait and see how she goes. Pretty easy change out compared to some of the rest of this build!! :)

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
If you wanted to ditch the plastics on the tunnel here is what I did to clean mine up!Looks like you already powder coated the cooler!

Polzinhunter,

Very nice!! :beer;
I really like the braided accent. :)
I think I'm going to keep my black plastic on however. To be honest I'm not really that big of fan of red. Don't really know what possesed me to go with it. But the black accents help to tone it down a little. First time I saw the chassie my first thougt was, I hope all the snow around me doesn't melt!! :eek:
Thanx for the reply
-T

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
F*#*IN Awesome build!! Have run 9" MMP wheels for YEARS no problems EVER. on 166 900. Gotta see a finished pic!!!!!!! Last few like this haven't been seen in a while?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
hats off to you you tore it down all the way! looks cool and keep pics coming my only tip would be since you got the motor out any ways put comp. fusions motor mounts in it now the 900s are hard on mounts and they are the heart of belt/clutch alinment other wise keep up the good work :)

T
Mar 22, 2008
Athol Id
More Pics

Motor dropped in pretty clean and easy. :D

Seat and plastics looking pretty good.

Best change on the sled is the dumptruck sticker!! Lol :cool:

Still waiting for the TCP bumber. I havent decided which way to install it yet.
Do any of you have current pics of TCP bumper with skinz float plate yet?

I'm thinking of trying to make the Boise Snow show for the Mod Show. Does anyone know if there is a newbie class? I don't think this rebuild will stand up with the $20K - $30K turbo mods out there, but it'd be fun to play in the stock class. :p

I mocked up the XXXmodrods IQ racer hood today, It's gonna be BAD A$$!!
Still don't know which way to go design ways though. Sure could use some ideas. I'm think either very minimalist with a few vendor decals, or maybe the Polaris racer look, might even try the 900 Dragon decal set, although I don't think it'll work on the racer hood. I did go and maybe make a deal with a local sign shop to buy a program for vehicle wraps of skulls and grim reaper, and let him keep the program but he'd do the material and labor for free.
That would look sweeeeet!!! However my sled is usually on its top as much as the track LOL!! Might not last to long!! :eek:

Again thanx for any response!
-T

Motor900 001.jpg

Motor900 002.jpg

Motor900 006.jpg

Motor900 003.jpg

Motor900 004.jpg

Motor900 005.jpg

Motor900 012.jpg

TRACTORS RULE !!

Premium Features