• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 RMK -- Pistons

B

Bruso

Jan 4, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Is changing the pistons of a 05 900 rmk to the pistons from a 06 900 a factory update or is it just what peopl on the forum is doing?

I just bought a 05 900 for $4800 from a dealer and it has all the updates.

B

TOlsen

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Martin City, MT
It isn't a factory update, Polaris has discontinued the 05 pistons and replaced with the 06. The 06 has a different design which most feel is better, stronger. There is a post on here with pics of an 05 piston that grenaded.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Its not an update.. just a good idea, and depending on the milage of the sled you just bought, you may want to tear into it ASAP just to replace pistons and make sure everything is to spec. great sleds when you dial em in right

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Is changing the pistons of a 05 900 rmk to the pistons from a 06 900 a factory update or is it just what peopl on the forum is doing?

B

This has been discussed before.

I don't know the proper Polaris terms so I am gonna create definitions for the terms I will use.

They no longer make the 2005 pistons and there is a technical bulletin , a report written by Polaris saying the skirts in the 05 might crack, thats why you are to use the 2006 pistons for any 866cc sled for 2005 -06.

It is not a recall or update meaning bring your sled to an authorized Polaris dealer and they will replace the 2005 pistons with the 2006 pistons.

The tech bulletin advises the repair technician to replace the 2005 pistons with the 2006 pistons if repairs are made to a sled requiring the primary repair proceedure to remove the pistons.

So in laymen terms the crankcase cracks on a 2005 after 100 miles while in warranty. In the proceedure to replace the crankcase you must remove the cylinders fron the crankcase. The Polaris technical bulletin suggests to go ahead and replace the pistons with this much of the engine disassembled .

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
Just pistons?

You might as well replace the crank this summer too. That way it won't snap next winter when your trying to highmark. It happened to mine. Top of a small hill, crank snapped, and my sled went down the hill backwards and rolled a few times. No damage to the sled. Lucky I guess. Still a long tow home and now 3 weeks of awesome snow and no sled.

E
Jan 17, 2008

B

Funny how they think they are so bad that they should not be used... but they won't pay to have them replaced. Hell I would pay the labor if they would pay for the parts.

This is the crap that will keep me from buying another polaris. Crap I would have sold you my 900 for 4400 with probally less miles (860)

K
Nov 27, 2007
05 900 pistons

I posted on another thred but same question.What is needed to reseat new pistons to cylinders.

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
Light hone job along with new rings. Then do the breakin procedure according to the owners manual.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Honing plated cylinders

The correct term for honing plated cylinders ( Diamond hone )

If you do not have a diamond head hone you can't hone them. and if you have you shouldn't have. you wasted your time.

Nothing works correctly on plated cylinders " except " diamond.

just because a hone with some type of stone was passed thru the cylinder does not mean it was honed..... Unless it was done correctly with the right fixture and honehead.

If the cylinder plating is not penitrated to some degree the cylinder will not cut in the new rings and the motor will run but never will preform as well as it could have with a correctly honed cylinder.

Dan

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Hey Dan ... What pistons do you like for thr 900 polaris?

Most say no to Weisco.
No to SPI.

Some people told me to use SPX. Here is what they say: The Moly coating and ceramic top are a much better for heat transfer than stock and other after market. Even the chrome rings are coated for longer life.

Then here on this site people say to use the OEM Polaris 2006 Pistons.

What do you say?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
pistons

Hey Dan ... What pistons do you like for thr 900 polaris?

Most say no to Weisco.
No to SPI.

Some people told me to use SPX. Here is what they say: The Moly coating and ceramic top are a much better for heat transfer than stock and other after market. Even the chrome rings are coated for longer life.

Then here on this site people say to use the OEM Polaris 2006 Pistons.

What do you say?

Well Don, I have not spent much time checking the options out there for the 900.

The SPI is a copy of the 2005 piston.

and I am not a big Wiseco fan in big motors. ( But the good thing about the wiseco is they normally do not break, But the skirts have been knowen to collaps., And then performance suffers.
as far as the " SPX " you mentioned........I have not heard of this ( Can you explain.... )

So far the 2006 piston is the only show in town as far as I know.

Dan

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
A Canadian retailer is corresponding with me saying SPX ands SPI are separate companies.

They declare and I quote "

They are SPX Pistons ( Not SPI ) We have put them in many jobs here and they are much more durable than stock.

$279 including Freight
Includes:
Gaskets and crank seals
2) Pistons
2) ring Kits
2) Wrist Pins
4) C-clips

Second Email

Yes If you just want pistons they are $189 shipped, the only gasket kit we offer is complete with seals - I don't know what your failure was but in the case of piston skirt issues we recommend splitting the cases and cleaning the crank. The Moly coating and ceramic top are a much better for heat transfer than stock and other after market. Even the chrome rings are coated for longer life. Guys were buying these pistons even in the warranty period because big bore guys like to ride not wrench. We've had great luck with them.

"end of Quote

A search on the internet for SPX resulted in ? http://www.spx.com

SPX was founded in Muskegon, Michigan in 1911 as The Piston Ring Company. The company name was changed to Sealed Power Corporation in 1931. SPX adopted its current name in 1988

If this is the correct company they are a engineering conglomerate.

Then I found this dated 1997 www.dana.com :

Sealed Power Acquisition Makes Engine Products a New Core Business
Also in February, Dana acquired the assets of the worldwide piston ring
and cylinder liner operations of SPX Corporation for $223 million. The assets
purchased are SPX's Sealed Power Division in the United States, the operating
companies of Sealed Power Europe, and ownership in two North American joint
ventures. The acquisition provides Dana with a complementary array of engine
component resources and important new customer relationships around the world.
The acquisition also spurred Dana to elevate its Engine Products Group to core
business status.

I also found a catalogue in Canada with SPX branded carbides , tie rods , etc.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
www.spx.com is an automotive OEM mfg. I think it was "Speed-Pro" before all the big companies started buying everything

SPI is a different company, China Mfg... good luck in getting ahold of them!

Royal mfg is who you are probably talking to in Canada.
http://www.royaldistributing.com/shoppingcart/MiddleRedirect.aspx?page=ATV2007/157.html

From what I've learned, SPX is the Canadian brand of SPI. Even the logo looks the same except the "I" is replaced with an "X"

Like Indy Dan said, SPi makes good quality, but the design for the 900 is copied off a crap piston design

SPI/SPX make pistons, grips, mirrors, carbides etc etc...

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
BTW... the ELKO brand Austrian made pistons are among the best out there...Polaris dropped the ball in 2005 with the piston design and changed it in 2006.

This guy is blowing smoke if he says that the SPX is a better quality piston than the OEM.

The Moly coating and ceramic top are a much better for heat transfer than stock and other after market.

This may be true for a 1995 ski doo summit, but the factory Polaris, ELKO, pistons are some of the nicest Coated pistons I've seen.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
BTW... the ELKO brand Austrian made pistons are among the best out there...Polaris dropped the ball in 2005 with the piston design and changed it in 2006.

This guy is blowing smoke if he says that the SPX is a better quality piston than the OEM.

This may be true for a 1995 ski doo summit, but the factory Polaris, ELKO, pistons are some of the nicest Coated pistons I've seen.

So the 2006 OEM Polaris pistons for bthe 900 RMK are made by ELKO?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Yep, ELKO is the OEM for Polaris pistons... an Austrian company... You have to be an OEM to order from them and place a HUGE quantity order. They do not sell in the aftermarket as replacement pisons

Premium Features