• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tuning info

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Just for your records. 07 800ho top gun 144
here is my clutch setups so far and still trying for better results. Went to the big horns 2 weeks ago. 8000ft primary clutch 160-290 spring 10.5 gram pin weight stock 417 ramps clicker 3 and stock secondary. results 150 rpm over rev on trail about right in pow but not getting full shift out on primary clutch.
My new setup is same spring 13.5 grams pin weight and 415 ramps
changed secondary to straight 44degree cam with black spring from brp. My brother is testing out this week in the black hills SD. around 5k feet I think. Will post results.
Ps. I modified the air box with screen to let it breath some good air.

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to share the info.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
update

I talked to my brother tonight, he said the 800 is rippen. I guess the clutch mods are getting better every time. I cant wait to get it back and check things over for myself.:D

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
I was waiting to hear about your results J&L, I got an 800 144" too and found that the clutch wasn't working awesome in the deep stuff too.
First mods: 13.5g pins with Purple/Yellow Spring (160-230) Clicker still at position 0, everything else stock.
Results: a lot better in the deep stuff at 3000' but still, could be better. I still have problems with my jetting being too rich and/or not enough air coming in the airbox.
I still need to try the mods I did last saturday: Drilled a couple of holes in the air box and covered them with filterskin to let it breathe better, changed the RPM clicker position from 0 to 2 and leanen the mains again from 460 to 440. SnowHawk addict don't stop telling me I should put 420s... but I rather stay on the fat side for now... (Don't worry Tony, I'll may get there one day!) So anyway, 415 ramps are on their way as I write this, I'm sure that would make a good difference too !

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Oh come on Tony, don't try to make myself look like a HawkStar ! I just enjoy throwing that thing around and beat the hell out of it, that's all !

Back to the setup now : 415 Ramps / Violet-Yellow spring / one set screw off each pin and RPM clicker at position 2 seem to make quite a good difference on trenching. Best powder setup i've tried to date. And I finally achieved that chocolate brown spark plug color at 2700' with the 440 mains and the holes in my air box.

Next thing to try : the pods, then clicker at higher pos, then lightening the pin again.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
IMO more spring pressure with more pin weight will be better so you don't slip the belt. gives better squeeze and can still keep the rpm where you want. The change to the 44straight cam seems to make a big improvement on the 800 also.

Premium Features