• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Gen 4 starts on fire

L
Jan 1, 2008
cheney, wa
We had a Gen 4 start on fire yesterday. We were only about 2 miles from the truck. Stopped on the side of the trail to make sure we had everyone and when we started off again my buddy hit the throttle and a ball of flames came from under the sled. Next thing it's of fire. We think the fire was on top of the engine and we could not get it out with snow. Ended up getting a fire extinguisher to put it out, no amount of snow was going to stop it. FYI sled not even broke in yet. Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Operator error. Brake was left on. Too bad, so sad.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
We had a Gen 4 start on fire yesterday. We were only about 2 miles from the truck. Stopped on the side of the trail to make sure we had everyone and when we started off again my buddy hit the throttle and a ball of flames came from under the sled. Next thing it's of fire. We think the fire was on top of the engine and we could not get it out with snow. Ended up getting a fire extinguisher to put it out, no amount of snow was going to stop it. FYI sled not even broke in yet. Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

You're gonna have that.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Kanedog is correct with his speculation, he's just a little rough with his communication.

A sled fire that is approximately 2 miles from the truck is generally from an emergency brake that has been left on. I personally know of 2 fire incidents this year that were from an e-brake that was left on.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
Kanedog is correct with his speculation, he's just a little rough with his communication.

A sled fire that is approximately 2 miles from the truck is generally from an emergency brake that has been left on. I personally know of 2 fire incidents this year that were from an e-brake that was left on.

yep this is true. your foot usually starts on fire first.

Snow4life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
My park brake lever broke off a while back, I dont tie it down in the trailer either way. But I dont understand how you could ride your sled with the park brake on and not notice... if that was the case.

L
Jan 1, 2008
cheney, wa
If the brake was left on would you smell it before the fire starts? If it was not the brake any other thoughts? The flames were coming out next to the steering post and the vents on the right side. We pulled the clutch cover and took the belt off to tow it out and it all looked good. If it was started by the brake would that have burned? Thanks again for the responses, thoughts.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

Agree, a bit of a rough delivery.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

L
Jan 1, 2008
cheney, wa
As far as I know it will be at the dealer on Tuesday and then I'm sure insurance will be involved. I have a hard time thinking he left the brake on because of the fireball that came out of the sled, almost like fumes ignitniting. I'm no expert and this is the first time I've ever seen a sled on fire but if it was the brake wouldn't that be a slower burn not fire shooting out the bottom then the top by the steering post?

Flydanner

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2018
Sounds like fuel or oil related I know mt 850 dumped a ton of oil during brake in so much so I pulled my pipe to clean it out of the belly pan. Maybe a flash fire from something like that. Could it have been a loose fuel line did he ever smell fuel? Sorry man that really stinks.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Like its good that you were but i cant think of anyone that brings a fire ext. With them sledding thats amasing lol. Sometimes doos just light on fire prob belt slipping lol

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
If the sled was upside down oil could have leaked on the y-pipe..
My cap leaks quite a bit...
cant leave it upside down long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
My .02, I have seen many gen 4's that will spit gas out because they are not venting properly. I can usually see it gushing out of my shock area. Obviously this happens most often in the beginning of the ride after you have just topped off your gas tank. Check out the stickied thread at the beginning of this section.

Premium Features