For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Bourboncty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question to diesel owners - 3.0L vs. 6.6L?

If I am going to be using my truck only for shorter mountain commutes with a sled deck, should I be considering the new chevy 3.0L diesel 1/2 ton?

Not a brand topic, am about to sell my 2500 HD 6.0L gas and was really only looking at 3/4 ton diesel trucks. Am tired of the lack of power climbing grades, hence the diesel, but maybe a 1/2 ton isn't a great idea if my truck will be loaded up most all winter. my current truck just feels way more durable than any 1/2 ton i have ridden in.

Any constructive input on what I should get?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-21-2018, 11:47 PM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 15,216 Times in 7,196 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourboncty View Post
If I am going to be using my truck only for shorter mountain commutes with a sled deck, should I be considering the new chevy 3.0L diesel 1/2 ton?

Not a brand topic, am about to sell my 2500 HD 6.0L gas and was really only looking at 3/4 ton diesel trucks. Am tired of the lack of power climbing grades, hence the diesel, but maybe a 1/2 ton isn't a great idea if my truck will be loaded up most all winter. my current truck just feels way more durable than any 1/2 ton i have ridden in.

Any constructive input on what I should get?

I plan ̣n ordering the new F150 3.0L just as soon as the 2019s appear online

Old 09-21-2018, 11:49 PM
Currently: I know, let's have a spelling contest
Thanked 1,477 Times in 848 Posts
AndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond repute

This is a hot topic at several sites. I too have considered the 1/2 ton diesel to have a lighter truck with great fuel mileage. The problem is that the cost isn't far off of the HD version. Even the gasser trucks are way up there in price, but they can usually be found at better deals than the diesel versions. No matter how you look at it, be ready to spend $60k ++ for a loaded out truck of any kind.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrettiDog For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:51 AM
Currently: Planning a build
Basic Member
M5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond repute

Don't come to BC if you have a half ton with 2 sleds and a deck on. You will be pulled over by the cops because you are over weight. Too light of a truck, even with my 3/4 I run air bags. My one ton dually doesn't need bags. Don't limit yourself with a truck that kind of does the job, get the right tool. JMO.

M5

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M5- For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (10-01-2018), christopher (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 01:40 PM
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrettiDog View Post
This is a hot topic at several sites. I too have considered the 1/2 ton diesel to have a lighter truck with great fuel mileage. The problem is that the cost isn't far off of the HD version. Even the gasser trucks are way up there in price, but they can usually be found at better deals than the diesel versions. No matter how you look at it, be ready to spend $60k ++ for a loaded out truck of any kind.
Agreed.
This is NOT about saving money on the cost of the truck.
I could pretty much get an F250 Diesel for more or less the same cost as the 150.

This is all about MILEAGE on all the days when I am not pulling a trailer AND a higher overall creature comfort rating for around town and high DRIVABILITY.

The F150 is simply a more "pleasant" truck to spend hours and hours inside of than the 250 is.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5- View Post
Don't come to BC if you have a half ton with 2 sleds and a deck on. You will be pulled over by the cops because you are over weight. Too light of a truck, even with my 3/4 I run air bags. My one ton dually doesn't need bags. Don't limit yourself with a truck that kind of does the job, get the right tool. JMO.

M5
Loaded Sled Decks are like having a full time trailer

Old 09-22-2018, 05:35 PM
Currently: I know, let's have a spelling contest
Thanked 1,477 Times in 848 Posts
AndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Agreed.
This is NOT about saving money on the cost of the truck.
I could pretty much get an F250 Diesel for more or less the same cost as the 150.

This is all about MILEAGE on all the days when I am not pulling a trailer AND a higher overall creature comfort rating for around town and high DRIVABILITY.

The F150 is simply a more "pleasant" truck to spend hours and hours inside of than the 250 is.
I agree the 1/2 ton is just a better truck for daily use. Just hitting a bump will remind you. Easier to turn and park and get in and out of. But I never did understand spending more money to save fuel mileage. I guess if it is a daily commuter and that's all you have - and you need a truck bed. I'm looking forward to a "shoot out" between the GM, Ford and Dodge half diesels.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndrettiDog For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 06:16 PM
Currently: '14 m8 SP 153-hyvos, dmnd-s, anti-stb,
Vern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

This is why I have two trucks, my 1 ton dmax for pulling the RV/sleds and then I got an old 1st gen 4 banger Tacoma for daily driving, offroading, hunting etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vern For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Basic Member
slyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond repute

i've had many trucks over the years, 30+, general rules (always situational exceptions to general rules) 1/2 tons, 6k lbs max, 250's, 9k lbs max, 350's, up to 13k lbs max...this is for winter roads as they come, not necessarily a particular sunny day, and this is for loaded trailers, always considering wind, terrain, traffic....for bed carry, 1/2 ton, one sled; 250/ 350 two sleds...don't know of anything carrying more than two sleds in bed, but there might be...remember, it's not just pulling power that makes a good choice, it's how does the suspension handle weight, and adverse winds and stopping situations, which will get you in more trouble than pulling power of your rig...slick roads can combine with curves, wind and downhill stops to increase pucker factor significantly...higher truck ratings always handle the unexpected better....i'
ve found 350's to be too stiff for me when empty for general driving, 150's leave me wanting more weight handling ability and power....250's seem just about right overall for me...everyone will have preferences depending on personal need and desire, which is why we have many choices available to us...i only went too heavy once, but it was only a little too heavy, but i've had to upgrade to a more capable truck several times.....my daily driver ? an 18 f-150 with 5.0; my sled, boat, all other trailer truck is a 17 f-250 with airbags...if i could have only one ? easy choice, f-250, gas or diesel...

The Following User Says Thank You to slyrydr For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:02 PM
Basic Member
Bourboncty is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Currently: and here we have a monkey with 4 asses
Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,618 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Mafesto For This Useful Post:
justinkredible56 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:52 PM
Currently: waiting on winter
freak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Currently: Back in the game!
Dogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond reputeDogmeat has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 AM
Reg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register