For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Climb13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to snowbikes

Hey there Iím new to the whole dirt bike industry. Iíve been snowmobiling for years, my son wanted to start riding dirt bikes. So I have decided to sell my sleds and go the snow bike route my questions are.
250 or 450?
Is there anything I should do to the bike to make it more suited for a snow bike
And finally I was thinking the timbersled aro 120 kit, any pros or cons

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Currently: 2 x('18Camso/'08KTM300 XCW)
Basic Member
Misha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome. You will need to give more specifics about the terrain and general area you and your son plan to ride in. We are here are in Southern Ontario. I think the Camso unit is best suited to our trails (trees) along with our KTM 300s. If you are in more mountainous areas, perhaps a 4T 450 would be better? The shorter Aro 120 track is going to turn better than its 129 counterpart but with not as much traction on the deep climbs.

On the other hand, the Camso 129 track offers a great mix of traction and steering, as it has a single rail and allows the whole track to tilt on side hills and turns. I have only tried the Yetis by comparison. IMO go with a more cost effective entry like Camso and upgrade to a lighter unit later if you feel the need.

So, in the end it's complicated. There is no blanket solution. Only a specific prescription.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Basic Member

Thanks for the info I live in southern Minnesota but do make 2 trips a year out west most of the riding would be in fields and ditches and in the summer mostly trail riding

Old 09-09-2018, 09:42 PM
Basic Member
assaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the sport! A few more questions. How much Moto have you and your boy done? How many hrs a year do you expect to put on each bike?
How mechanically inclined are you? What type of Sledder are you? Gotta push the pace and lead the pack or happy pushing a mid pack machine to the limit? It is very important to think about these things and be honest with yourself. snowbikes are a lot like modding sleds used to be before turbos. You spend a ton of money on mods and gadgets for horsepower gains.

If heading west a few times a year, flat landing at home and trail riding in summer a yz450fx is your weapon. The fx is a capable machine in the hills, has a little more gearing for flat landing and is a fantastic trail bike for a 450. The power is there but has excellent manners. Electric start with kick backup, large stator, great airbox setup for snowbikes and Yamaha reliable!! This bike won't beat up on some of the others in the hills but definitely hangs right in there.

As for the kit, Misha's suggestion of the camso is a good one based on the price. We have 1 in our group mounted to the bike mentioned above and it has performed quite well. Only downside to that kit that we found was the ski while on the hard pack trails. Our group of riders are very equal in skill set and though the trail up is not our favorite part of the day, we do have a good time racing, bumping and grinding in the corners. Every rider in our group is a fair amount slower on the trail while on that setup. This includes the owner that has a tonne of seat time on it. When I swapped bikes with him I just assumed he didn't like riding fast on the trail but instantly realized that the ski was much harder to trust while going into corners at high speed. He easily gained an extra gear through the corners on my yeti instantly. We tried quite a few setup changes to fix this and it did help some but still lacks in this department compared to the yeti and aero. Once off trail all 3 kits are very comparable for medium duty riding. The camso lacks for handling big drops ect but most will be happy with it's performance off the trail. I ride yeti and love the products performance but simply can't recommend them based on reliability and customer service. All this said, I would recommend the new aero 129 if you are willing to spend a little more on the kit. Works pretty good in all areas and very reliable with spindle fix. If cost is King, camso all the way and you will still be having a good time.

Start with these simple mods for winter and go from there.

Seat concepts seat(must!)
Intake
Thermostat
Revv up engine blanket
Skid plate
Temp meter
Light
Handguards
Pipe shield
Heated bars(luxury)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to assaultn For This Useful Post:
Climb13 (09-10-2018), Revv Up (09-09-2018), Sheetmetalfab (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Currently: Home of the Mountain Addiction gas can covers and custom insulated engine blankets
Revv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a 4 stroke 250 or a 2 stroke, I would think a 4 stroke would be extremely docile while a 2 stroke could be an awesome weapon.

http://www.revvup.net/

Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Currently: Getting the R6 snowbike ready......
Thanked 1,409 Times in 882 Posts
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaultn View Post
Welcome to the sport! A few more questions. How much Moto have you and your boy done? How many hrs a year do you expect to put on each bike?
How mechanically inclined are you? What type of Sledder are you? Gotta push the pace and lead the pack or happy pushing a mid pack machine to the limit? It is very important to think about these things and be honest with yourself. snowbikes are a lot like modding sleds used to be before turbos. You spend a ton of money on mods and gadgets for horsepower gains.

If heading west a few times a year, flat landing at home and trail riding in summer a yz450fx is your weapon. The fx is a capable machine in the hills, has a little more gearing for flat landing and is a fantastic trail bike for a 450. The power is there but has excellent manners. Electric start with kick backup, large stator, great airbox setup for snowbikes and Yamaha reliable!! This bike won't beat up on some of the others in the hills but definitely hangs right in there.

As for the kit, Misha's suggestion of the camso is a good one based on the price. We have 1 in our group mounted to the bike mentioned above and it has performed quite well. Only downside to that kit that we found was the ski while on the hard pack trails. Our group of riders are very equal in skill set and though the trail up is not our favorite part of the day, we do have a good time racing, bumping and grinding in the corners. Every rider in our group is a fair amount slower on the trail while on that setup. This includes the owner that has a tonne of seat time on it. When I swapped bikes with him I just assumed he didn't like riding fast on the trail but instantly realized that the ski was much harder to trust while going into corners at high speed. He easily gained an extra gear through the corners on my yeti instantly. We tried quite a few setup changes to fix this and it did help some but still lacks in this department compared to the yeti and aero. Once off trail all 3 kits are very comparable for medium duty riding. The camso lacks for handling big drops ect but most will be happy with it's performance off the trail. I ride yeti and love the products performance but simply can't recommend them based on reliability and customer service. All this said, I would recommend the new aero 129 if you are willing to spend a little more on the kit. Works pretty good in all areas and very reliable with spindle fix. If cost is King, camso all the way and you will still be having a good time.

Intake
Thermostat
Revv up engine blanket
Skid plate
Temp meter
Light
Handguards
Pipe shield
Heated bars(luxury)
What he said.
Use the jay marmount map in the yz450fx

Yamaha reliability is real.

Aro 120 or a raw for budget minded. (Hard to beat 3k brand new)

Old 09-09-2018, 10:41 PM
Basic Member
AZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond repute

450 4T or a 300/350 2T for an adult. Put a track on a bike and it sucks about half the power your used to when on wheels.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Basic Member
assaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheetmetalfab View Post
What he said.
Use the jay marmount map in the yz450fx

Yamaha reliability is real.

Aro 120 or a raw for budget minded. (Hard to beat 3k brand new)

After seeing your post, I would agree. A hold over raw kit with a yeti/aero ski update would be a better economy kit than the camso.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaultn View Post

Intake
Thermostat
Revv up engine blanket
Skid plate
Temp meter
Light
Handguards
Pipe shield
Heated bars(luxury)
Thanks for the input as for hours I was thinking 20-30 a year, he is just getting into some light racing nothing to major yet. Iíve mainly been looking into ktms because thatís what a few of my friends ride. As for being mechanical Iím not great I can do basic maintenance of a sled and have ran aftermarket parts but I have never built a true mod sled

Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Currently: Getting the R6 snowbike ready......
Thanked 1,409 Times in 882 Posts
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute
Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Basic Member
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register