For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Currently: Not set.
thump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sled Comparison Thoughts

Thinking of changing up my ride this year and picking up a leftover 2018 cat. Last 6 years for me has been Pro and Axys, previously were M sleds.
Riding for me is in deep dryer powder with mostly technical tree riding, lots of sidehilling in treed steep terrain and the usual carving around in meadows added in.
Looking for constructive comparison thoughts from people who have ridden Axys and the 2018 cat or have friends in your group who ride one or the other in similar type terrain and riding. Iíd be riding a 3Ē as well.
Also curious on how the reliability and general quirks for the sled are. I see some crank issues perhaps? Polaris dealer is an hour away and cat dealer is 3 away,,,, that should almost make the decision for me but like I said looking to change it up. Whatever I buy Iím going to have to hang onto for a while this time.
One other question that I canít seem to find: what are the differences between the Early Release sled, SnoPro and the in season sled? I recall the SnoPro was the snowcheck sled back when I was on M sleds but they look like all same shocks, gauge etc, but no doubt Iím missing something. The leftover early releases seem cheaper for some reason but canít see why and thatís the one Iím looking at right now.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 AM
goridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond repute

I ride an Axys.

I have NOT ridden the 2018 Cat.

My main riding buddy rides a 2017 Mountain Cat.

We ride similar stuff to you.

The Mountain cat works very well and will go the same places as the Axys. Just different sleds. The Axys seems to get on the snow better and tractor out of holes where as the Cats seems to dig and go down. The Cat will come up on egde easier but doesn’t feel as balanced or in control, seems like it wants to just flop over.

I wont comment on the motor since the 2018 has the new motor. Seems like the Cats are typically more reliable, and built heavier in most places, with the exception of the rear tunnel section and the steering system. The lower post breaks and its the chits. Hopefully they have changed on the newer ones?

The Axys obviously have issues primarily with RPM fade and weak front ends but I truly believe the Axys chassis is TOUGH. You see very few bent tunnels and bad bulkheads.

I think if I were you I would base the decision on price and dealer (not just location, but more importantly service).

Last edited by goridedoo; 08-20-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:19 AM
sno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the ER was basically a sno pro with a 3" but I could be wrong.
I kinda have a thing for the grey ERs, but if you can afford id go for the mountain cat. should be like 10+ pounds lighter. the power and track make it a more capable sled than the 800 axys imo, unless you just like to go sideways across stuff all day at a slower pace. if thats the case stick with the poo.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 AM
ndfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a whole lot of time on the Axys, but I rented one for a day to see what all the hype was about.

How I thought the 155 Axys Pro RMK compared to my 18 153 MC in key ride-ability areas:

Side hill initiation - The cat was easier to initiate and once on its side was easier to maintain. The Axys wanted to get back on both skis and ended up costing me some $. I was on a steep hill and was transitioning into a side hill and the sled wanted to plant itself which caught me off guard and both the sled and I hit went down hill and hit some boulders.

Engine - No comparison, Cat is the winner. The Axys would get the MC out of the gate for maybe 20 feet racing up hill and then the Cat would pass it and continue pulling. My lady and I ran many times and even with me on the Cat at 260 lbs loaded vs her @ 190 lbs loaded the Axys still couldn't touch the Cat. Besides just racing, the Axys was enjoyable to ride due to how snappy the belt drive and motor felt, but I'm assuming if I had a belt drive on my MC it would feel similar but with more oomph.

Handling - I think both handled very similar, making pow turns, jumping, etc. I was able to go back and forth without any hesitation once I figured out how the Axys wanted to side hill. The suspension on the MC was much better and when setup handled everything better.

Ergos- I have CFR bars on my MC and the Axys bars felt pretty good in comparison. The throttle pull was nice and the brake lever felt good, better than the long Cat lever. I liked the display on the Poo but that is not something I worry about.

Track - the Poo had a 2.6 and it did everything I needed it too but again I think the MC is just better.

Overall I can see why people like the Axys, and if I didn't have the option of the MC I would be happy riding one, but the light weight, chincy feel of everything is not what I'm about, and in many areas the Cat out performs it. As it has been said many times either one is a good option but the reliability and multiple bad experiences with Poo I've had will keep me on a Cat even with the new 850 coming.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Yaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond repute

"Side hill initiation - The cat was easier to initiate and once on its side was easier to maintain. The Axys wanted to get back on both skis and ended up costing me some $. I was on a steep hill and was transitioning into a side hill and the sled wanted to plant itself which caught me off guard and both the sled and I hit went down hill and hit some boulders."

I have to 100% disagree with you. My axys was sooo easy to pull on edge, ridiculously easy. My 18 cat isn't to bad but no where near the axys. Also I feel you may be comparing a m8 that doesn't have a sway bar to the axys with the sway bar in.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-20-2018, 11:58 AM
ndfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond reputendfb35 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaeger34 View Post
"Side hill initiation - The cat was easier to initiate and once on its side was easier to maintain. The Axys wanted to get back on both skis and ended up costing me some $. I was on a steep hill and was transitioning into a side hill and the sled wanted to plant itself which caught me off guard and both the sled and I hit went down hill and hit some boulders."

I have to 100% disagree with you. My axys was sooo easy to pull on edge, ridiculously easy. My 18 cat isn't to bad but no where near the axys. Also I feel you may be comparing a m8 that doesn't have a sway bar to the axys with the sway bar in.
If Pros come with a sway bar from the factory then I'm assuming it did. I didn't touch any of the settings and as I stated, it took more effort than my MC does to roll over. My SO said the same thing, she preferred my MC to the Axys and wanted to be on the Cat when we got into some steeper stuff.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:26 PM
Currently: Going for the Gophers now!
Thanked 1,135 Times in 812 Posts
DDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond repute

The MTN CAT has the better shocks, the aluminum shafts, and LED head light.

The snow pro has the aluminum shafts and float 3s. no LED headlight

The ER has a different ecm?! or something of that sort, most are running a few more ponys then production sleds. float 3 shocks and steel shafts. No LED headlight.

Id be looking for a EB MTN CAT

Old 08-20-2018, 03:37 PM
thump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond reputethump426er has a reputation beyond repute

EB?

Old 08-20-2018, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the great replies folks. Very helpful

Old 08-20-2018, 04:02 PM
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

EB is early build. cat sent out the 2018 at the end of 2017 season so you could demo the new set up. solid sleds but missed a few light weight parts.
I would look for a production 2018 mountain cat.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Currently: Alpha Hawk!
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to summ8rmk For This Useful Post:
ndfb35 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Reddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond reputeReddragon800 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Currently: sourceinnovations.ca
Teth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Currently: Needs to snow
Thanked 2,139 Times in 893 Posts
CO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeCO 2.0 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 09:17 AM
jakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond reputejakey-boy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Teth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 09:42 AM
sno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 PM
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summ8rmk For This Useful Post:
sno*jet (08-21-2018), Teth-Air (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:18 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 01:22 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to summ8rmk For This Useful Post:
05900 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:54 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Thanked 2,109 Times in 1,260 Posts
snowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond reputesnowmobiler has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snowmobiler For This Useful Post:
05900 (08-21-2018), summ8rmk (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Uncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Currently: Falling off in the Powder
Basic Member
MountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register