For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
BackcountryUP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone ride a 2015 CRF450R?

Found a great deal on a 2015 CRF450R. 60 hours but had a top end rebuild 20 hours ago. Anyone here using this bike for a snowbike setup? Any common issues I should be aware of? Can I run this thing in cold temps on the stock ECU and tune? Any recommendations on a reliable setup would be appreciated. Planning on purchasing the new Timbersled RAW kit. Will also be running a thermobob and engine jacket.

Thanks!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Currently: 13 ktm 450sxf. 17 yeti 129
Basic Member
coryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond repute

ahhhh. theres a "but" in there! theres a reason youre getting a great deal on it... someones trying to dump it. its not even holding up solidly on the dirt if it needed a top end at 40 hours (do you mean a head rebuild, or just piston? were the seats cut? SS intakes installed? who cut the seats? new cam chain installed?) I dont think itll do much better in the snow having its neck wrung all winter.

personally, ive had bad luck with crfs and their junk TI intake valves/unicam, rocker arm head setup in general... the older 02-08 generation non EFI bikes, but still left a sour taste in my mouth with crfs in general after 3 motors, 380 engine hours and 8 years on one. wouldnt trust a new one with a track kit, definitely wouldnt trust a rebuilt one. but thats just me.... ive had way too much bad luck and go way too deep and scary places to be bringing a rebuilt honda personally. you may have better luck, others here run them with no problems. just depends how lucky you feel and how hard you ride...staying around the acreage with the son. fine. trying to keep up with turboed 850s all weekend long in revy and the rebuilt ol girl might not last!

just some food for thought, sometimes cheaper/the best deal isnt really the best or cheapest in the long run. especially this sport!

Last edited by coryf89; 08-09-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Currently: 18 Camso DTS 129
Basic Member
Ben 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond repute

My brother in law got a 2008 CRF 450X last winter and I put a 2018 Camso DTS 129 kit on it and he had a blast riding it all last winter.

The bike, while it had more than enough power and was a lot of fun, never ran as good as it could have as the fuel strainer at the bottom of the tank/on the top of the fuel-tap, had degraded and had been sending small plastic crystals all through the fuel system/carburetor and had caused all sorts of odd running issues as a result.

I just sent the FCR carburetor to be cleaned and rebuilt and put it back on last night and now the motor is running great.

All I did was plumb in a Thermobob and put a PST engine jacket around the motor and he ran the bike all winter. The bike will run really well this upcoming winter as the entire fuel system has been cleaned/flushed and the carburetor rebuilt and cleaned. All the fluids have been changed so it is now ready to go.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Basic Member
Default Crf450r

I contacted the Honda shop today that did the engine rebuild to get more details. Once I told them the guys name that owned the bike before they said "oh ya" we know him and that bike. They said he just had lots of money to spend on the bike all the time and had them rebuild it and put a stage 1 hot cam in it. They then verified that they put in new rings, valves, and the hot cam at that time. It's a pretty reputable shop in the area too so I'm sure the work was done right.

But honestly I was hoping to hear from some of the guys on here running some of the newer CRF450's and how the fuel injected ones ran in the cold and if they start up ok?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Basic Member
Ben 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond repute

It is summer and this forum has been really slow. Even in the heart of winter it is slow as there are very few on here compared to other sites.

I have, though, seen LOTS of guys who are riding FI 450 Honda's with no issues.

I had to have FI as I got a new Beta 500 RR-S 02/22/2017 and this past winter it ran flawlessly. I would not have gotten a bike that was not FI as the FI makes the bike start and go. I need to warm it up when it is cold out or my clutch plates stick and every time I go to put the bike in gear it stalls but now with a Rekluse Radius CX, I might not have that problem this upcoming winter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 PM
Thanked 2,498 Times in 990 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

Our shop ran a new Honda this winter (2018 450)...worked well, ran and started well. It’s a somehwat pipe-y motor in the snow, and you need to work a bit to keep it in the meat of the power band, but it was fun to ride. Also was much more prone to over-fueling in the cold (resulting in oil in fuel) than the KTM’s we usually ride. I would say the CRF with engine jacket and thermobob still pumped more fuel into the oil than a box stock KTM, at our temps and elevations at least. So you definitely need to be diligent on oil changes.

If I had that bike I would throw a snow kit on it no question. If I had to go out and buy a bike FOR a snow kit, I’d probably look for an e start bike

Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 PM
Currently: Getting the R6 snowbike ready......
Thanked 1,332 Times in 825 Posts
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

Keep looking for a 14+ Yamaha. (If you are buying high hour bikes)

Honda’s have the least power and most weight of all the 450’s
(At least until 17)

Last edited by Sheetmetalfab; 08-09-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:42 AM
Basic Member
Default Kawi

What about the 2017 KX450. Any opinions on that bike in the snow?

Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 AM
Currently: dreaming of global cooling
needpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackcountryUP View Post
Found a great deal on a 2015 CRF450R. 60 hours but had a top end rebuild 20 hours ago. Anyone here using this bike for a snowbike setup? Any common issues I should be aware of? Can I run this thing in cold temps on the stock ECU and tune? Any recommendations on a reliable setup would be appreciated. Planning on purchasing the new Timbersled RAW kit. Will also be running a thermobob and engine jacket.

Thanks!
What’s a good deal? Personally where I ride, we don’t see a lot of red bikes. Or green for that matter. There are a few however. Mostly blue and orange. I imagine there’s a pretty good reason for that.
Sounds like a solid bike you’re looking at. I would want the PR2 ECU for winter on it since they are known to over fuel.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-10-2018, 10:03 AM
Basic Member
mtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond repute
Old 08-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Basic Member
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 08-10-2018, 09:03 PM
wonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond reputewonderdummy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Currently: dreaming of global cooling
needpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond reputeneedpowder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-12-2018, 07:32 AM
Basic Member
mtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond reputemtnthumper has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-17-2018, 10:14 AM
Basic Member
etecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant futureetecheaven has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register