For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Currently: Preparing for snow
Basic Member
Kx500tslt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gsxr 1000??

Well itís the middle of summer, perfect snowbike dreaming weather. Anyways I bought a crashed 08 gsxr 1000 that I was planning on fixing, but motor runs perfect and now I have the stupid idea for for a 1000 snowbike, or is it a stupid idea? Iíve been riding my kx5 on a 16 ts Lt for a few years now and love it but always looking for more power. Iíve been thinking of putting that motor in a motocross frame like those open class hill climb bikes. It seems to work for them. Just wondering what you guys think? I know some people have done this before me any insights would be awesome. The way I figure it the gsxr motor is about 60 lbs heavier but almost 3x the horse power!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 07-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Currently: Not set.
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

check out youtube for guys running this most as a street with a track under it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm08zioMOdI
just type in 1000 cc snow bike. stooooopid fast.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Basic Member

Iíve watched a lot of those videos already which is why I think this idea has potential. They are really fast and powerful but seem to loose a lot in handling, like in the trees. I donít want to build a hill climb snowbike. I have a sled to climb hills. I know adding weight will make it harder through the trees regardless but I think if I swap it into a motocross frame I wonít loose that much in terms of handling. There are a few problems I see like where to put the radiator but I figure I could make a tunnel cooler and ditch the radiator. Also not sure on a gas tank. Most of the hill climb bikes have a extremely small tanks.

Here is an example of a hill climber with one of these motors. Looks like they fit it in there nicely.

Last edited by Kx500tslt; 07-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kx500tslt For This Useful Post:
Sheetmetalfab (07-17-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Currently: Waiting
Dartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond repute

For better handling you need the track under the rider.

This is a CBR 1000. Check it out. https://youtu.be/CL9ZIP8KkFc

It can be done.

http://gnarbike.net

Last edited by Dartos; 07-17-2018 at 02:47 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 PM
Basic Member
Default Wow

I hadnít seen that video yet. Thatís awesome they have something figured out. But it almost seems like they built a glorified snow hawk. Because you sit above the track on a hawk like that. Is that the end game if I go down this road, Iím just going to build a snow hawk? If I just throw this motor in a motocross frame do you think it will handle that much worse than a regular snow bike because of the added weight? Why does the track further forward help so much?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Dartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the track under the rider makes the overall length shorter and therefore more maneuverable.

With a dirt bike conversion the entire track is behind the rider, that makes the weight of the bike and rider transfer to the front of the machine in certain situations with potentially negative effects such as g outs or jumping in powder.

What made the Snowhawk bad? (Or less desirable) I sense you have a negative opinion of them. I never rode one in the powder, just once in big packed open field.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 AM
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartos View Post
For better handling you need the track under the rider. This is a CBR 1000

^^^ this.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:35 AM
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,013 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when it falls over in some gnarly spot and you have to up right it yourself in deep snow? Is that possible? Is it usable for aggressive mountain riding, or just a novelty flatlander item for crushing meadows that happen to be in the mountains?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaynelson For This Useful Post:
Sheetmetalfab (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartos View Post
I believe that the track under the rider makes the overall length shorter and therefore more maneuverable.

With a dirt bike conversion the entire track is behind the rider, that makes the weight of the bike and rider transfer to the front of the machine in certain situations with potentially negative effects such as g outs or jumping in powder.

What made the Snowhawk bad? (Or less desirable) I sense you have a negative opinion of them. I never rode one in the powder, just once in big packed open field.
I donít have an opinion on snow hawks because Iíve never ridden one. I didnít mean to diss snow hawks in anyway. What I was trying to say was if modding this bike ultimately ends in being a snow hawk it would make much more sense to start with a hawk and throw this motor in. Iíd donít really want to do that I think my snowbike handles pretty well already I just donít want the gsxr snowbike to handle way worse than a snowbike.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Basic Member
Old 07-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Currently: Snowbiking Wyoming
Basic Member
eric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Currently: Getting the R6 snowbike ready......
Thanked 1,403 Times in 876 Posts
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Currently: Snowbiking Wyoming
Basic Member
eric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-18-2018, 01:31 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 07-18-2018, 01:59 PM
capulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Kx500tslt For This Useful Post:
dooman92 (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 05:24 PM
flatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond reputeflatspeed has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-18-2018, 05:30 PM
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-18-2018, 05:37 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 07-19-2018, 10:51 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Currently: Snowbike addict with a Tedesled 129" kit on my 2018 KTM EXC 300 TPI
Robster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond reputeRobster has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 07-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Basic Member
gdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond reputegdriscoll has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,013 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register