For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Ski-Doo: REV Gen 4 For the 2017 and newer REV Gen 4 Sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Currently: Good!!!!
kipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond reputekipperdavis has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2017 Summit

I was looking at a 2017 carry over sled that the dealership this weekend. My question for you all is ,would you be afraid of a 17? I now the bulkhead needs reinforcement. Get a good clutch kit. keep a eye on the chain case. Or would a guy be better off spend more for a 18 hold over? The 17 should come with most of the 18 or even 19 update right? Thanks!

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperdavis For This Useful Post:
christopher (06-26-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Currently: Not set.
Thanked 1,130 Times in 587 Posts
turboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond repute

Buy it and ride it on snow and not rocks and they are fine. My wife's has over 1000 miles on original belt. The only thing I've replaced is a side panel because I jumped off a rock on a steep hill and had a fitment issue with some trees. It did fit but side panel broke. You only hear about the bad ones on the internet. Not the 1000 good ones like hers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turboless terry For This Useful Post:
christopher (06-26-2018), kipperdavis (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 14,855 Times in 7,051 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperdavis View Post
I was looking at a 2017 carry over sled that the dealership this weekend. My question for you all is ,would you be afraid of a 17? I now the bulkhead needs reinforcement. Get a good clutch kit. keep a eye on the chain case. Or would a guy be better off spend more for a 18 hold over? The 17 should come with most of the 18 or even 19 update right? Thanks!

So long as you are willing to install a good brace kit like the Grip n Rip, I really wouldn't have much concern with the 2017s. Other than the rock I hit, mine has NOT caused me any grief at all. If you can get a smoking deal on a 2017, GO FOR IT.

The Following User Says Thank You to christopher For This Useful Post:
kipperdavis (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Basic Member
Illinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re

Only difference made with any success, was the upgraded module. Get the updates done (I personally believe you can skip the gear change, especially if you ride at lower elevation ever), get a pivot weight kit, then remove all foam and vent pto panel. You'll then be better off than a stock 18.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illinoispowder For This Useful Post:
christopher (06-27-2018), kipperdavis (06-27-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:16 PM
Basic Member
Daag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond reputeDaag44 has a reputation beyond repute

A minority of 17s had odd ball problems such as the cooling system. The chafing wire repair is part of the upgrades, so that can be done by the dealer. The clutching and alignment isn't much of a problem with regular riding, and easy enough to mod if necessary. Each year gets better belt cooling, which is an owner expense if needed. The 17s didn't have the problem with pto side self-threading engine mounting bolts, so that's a plus compared to the 18s. I am missing some things, but I think the cooling system would be my only fear. If the problem shows-up at the coolant pump then the dealer can fix it. If not then you may end up with a sled running hotter than normal.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daag44 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 06:50 AM
Currently: Sidehilling with stock boards.
Basic Member
Motorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a 17 this year and put grip n rip braces on it. I do believe it saved my bulk head at least once. I wouldn't worry much about buying one again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Motorbreath_ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 06:57 PM
Basic Member
Illinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond reputeIllinoispowder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re

The new and improved 531 belts were also hit or miss. I'm going to try the Carlisle xs821 this year.

The Following User Says Thank You to Illinoispowder For This Useful Post:
kipperdavis (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Currently: 2683 miles - 15-16
Devilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond repute

Spend more for an 18/19. The bulkhead isn't the issue, the belt life was. I was almost done with done with Doos until I got my 18's. They were both soooooo much better than my 17 sleds. MUCH faster, much better belt life. I really hated my 17 Doos.

The Following User Says Thank You to Devilmanak For This Useful Post:
kipperdavis (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:35 PM
Basic Member
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmanak View Post
Spend more for an 18/19. The bulkhead isn't the issue, the belt life was. I was almost done with done with Doos until I got my 18's. They were both soooooo much better than my 17 sleds. MUCH faster, much better belt life. I really hated my 17 Doos.
I think I heard just as many complaints from 18 owners on belt life. 18's got a finned primary to churn hot air, is the only difference after updates. Yes the 18's got different ramp profile to control rpm, but that can be remedied with pivot weight, not to mention a clutch kit that owners of all years install.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illinoispowder For This Useful Post:
kipperdavis (06-28-2018), Motorbreath_ (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Currently: Sidehilling with stock boards.
Basic Member
Motorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond reputeMotorbreath_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmanak View Post
How exactly did they improve the belt life on the 18 or 19? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to install those improvements on a left over 17? Depending on the price of the 17 of course.

That being said, not all 17s had issues. I only managed to get 500km on mine, but the belt looks like brand new.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Motorbreath_ For This Useful Post:
christopher (07-02-2018), kipperdavis (07-04-2018)