For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 PM
Currently: Fighting Winter Wildlands with everything I've got
kidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default TIRES!! (again): Goodyear Duratrac vs. Cooper ATW death match

I've got a 96 chevy k1500 heavily modified with a flatbed for 2 sleds. I'm about to put some blizzaks on the thing but have some other truck buddies with bro-dozers and sled decks that keep bringing up one of these two tires. Just figured I'd get some feedback before comitting. I'd like to get something I don't feel I need to switch out in June but it's hard to debate blizzaks.

I live in mountains. And it sometimes snows 5 feet in a day. Not really looking for 'what gets me from minnesota to togwotee on salted highways' stuff. I need grip on hills and on the daily. Sometimes just to get out of my neighborhood.

I know with two sleds on the back I'll have some bite. I'm more worried about good grip with truck unweighted. What do you know?

Thanks!

Your loud can sounds stupid

Last edited by kidwoo; 06-15-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 06-16-2018, 01:40 AM
Currently: Not set.
capulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond repute

Other factors at play, like compound, siping, and temp.

But long story short, it kindda boils down to fresh snow traction vs packed and/or icy traction. In regards to tread aggression.

Out of the 2 tires you posted. Duratrac would probably get out of the lot a little better on a big dump day, and the ATW would do better on packed snow and iced up stop signs.

So how many days are you dragging the axles in the snow, vs how many days of knucklehead drivers around town on packed streets and icy stop signs and stop lights.

And then i guess you could factor in what you want them to do the rest of the year?

Old 06-16-2018, 06:26 AM
Currently: Alpha Hawk!
Thanked 1,120 Times in 545 Posts
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute

I've had the Duratrac's, no good on ice. I have nothing good to say about them. I actually pulled a new set off in the middle of winter and went with a set of Hankook RF10.

I have cooper AT3 on the work truck (1500 silverado) those have been a really good all around tire, good on snow and ice. The ATW looks like it would have better ice traction.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:34 AM
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I run the ATW all last winter and all around a real good tire. will do them again. do well on ice but have enough to get a 3 place in 15" of snow out of the lot. They have the snow rating and are a bit on the softer side so you do get a bit less miles out of them. I take them of at the end March and put them on at the first of Dec.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:31 AM
kidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah design-wise the cooper atw looks like a snow tire. I just have a bunch of people telling me the duratracs are the shizz. To be fair though, it's mostly friends who drive TO snow, not wake up in it so much. I'd say ice stability is more a priority over trenching it up in fresh snow. Slamming on brakes for other idiots on an icy road is a bigger issue.

Honestly, I've never had an issue with blizzaks in deep, un-tracked snow. That's on trucks with clearance and the V2 versions. So I'm not sure the big lug all terrain is something I really need. Our snow is coastal wetter heavy stuff usually, not that super cold light snow that kind of has its own traction sometimes.

Basically I'm just looking for the closest thing to a blizzak that doesn't turn to mush in warm weather and start to fall apart. I think right now the ATWs look the best. I do drive the thing in the summer but it's not my main vehicle.

Last edited by kidwoo; 06-16-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:22 AM
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

something else is the ATW was available in an E rated tire for the f250 the blizzak only comes in a C rating i believe.

The Following User Says Thank You to kiliki For This Useful Post:
kidwoo (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 06:39 PM
sledslayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on my 3rd set of 10 ply ATW's. Use them on a 2 wheel drive service van. They are great on slippery roads, and pretty good in deep snow. Also a very quiet tire.

The Following User Says Thank You to sledslayer For This Useful Post:
kidwoo (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 07:44 PM

Not like this is helping or necessarily the question I asked......but I did find some e rated blizzaks in the older tread pattern.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Bridgestone/Blizzak-W965.htm

Old 06-17-2018, 06:49 AM
gonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond repute

The duratrac's are pinned for studs. Not sure about the coopers. If I was in your situation I would buy the most aggressive tire I could find that's stud able install the studs and sipe the centers. Best of everything.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:13 AM
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 AM
Currently: Back in the mountains
Thanked 1,145 Times in 429 Posts
Murph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 06-17-2018, 09:15 AM
gonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 06-17-2018, 10:47 AM

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidwoo For This Useful Post:
Goinboardin (06-28-2018), summ8rmk (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:18 PM
Thanked 1,171 Times in 604 Posts
turboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-17-2018, 10:40 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Currently: Patiently waiting for my '19
Thanked 1,024 Times in 610 Posts
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Currently: #fight'n sioux. Westbound and down!
tadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond reputetadder52 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to tadder52 For This Useful Post:
kidwoo (06-18-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:01 AM
titaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond reputetitaniumbadger has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to titaniumbadger For This Useful Post:
kidwoo (07-18-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 10:07 AM
Currently: Out to Lunch
IDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-06-2018, 10:42 AM
GoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-06-2018, 12:52 PM
bucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond reputebucky919 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-14-2018, 09:28 PM
goridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-14-2018, 09:34 PM
goridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to goridedoo For This Useful Post:
kidwoo (07-18-2018)