• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which front-end upgrade for 15 m8000

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Going to change the front end. I’ve read a lot of positive feedback on adding the 16 spindles and upper arms to the 15 and how much better the 27 degree spindle angle is.

But has anyone tried bdx’s (ssi) front kit with the shorter spindles? I like the idea of the shorter spindles as it seems it would give less contact with hill when side hilling. I can’t find any reviews on this kit.

Or does anyone have other brands front upgrade info? Thanks

Also adding gripper skis if that comes into play

Attachments

• ACBE2965-8A5A-4C86-A196-177F214D66D2.jpeg
    ACBE2965-8A5A-4C86-A196-177F214D66D2.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 138CCA1F-E8CA-4426-8482-06A4CCB5989B.jpeg
    138CCA1F-E8CA-4426-8482-06A4CCB5989B.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Check out zbros. You can keep the 38” stance and get the newer spindle. You end up just changing the upper A arms. No messing with your shocks that way. Good idea on the skiis too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
ive never noticed the stock '16+ spindles coming into contact with sidehills. the stock parts are light and strong and readily available. i like cat spindles because they hold zero snow. countersteer a boxed spindle and they collect snow. id like to ride a bdx front but my thinking is the larger space between the arms on the cat setup is stronger. i think bdx might sell other aftermarket lower arms as well for a good price (last time i looked).

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Check out zbros. You can keep the 38” stance and get the newer spindle. You end up just changing the upper A arms. No messing with your shocks that way. Good idea on the skiis too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only kit on zbroz site I can find is upper a-arm for $595 and spindle for $325 for a total of $920 plus shipping! Oh my!

Kit form country cat is upper arms and spindles (retains 38” stance) for $345

Bdx kit is $399

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The z broz kit is $505 without new upper ball joints

Last edited:
J
Jan 7, 2016
If you really want to upgrade your front end. Get the Barcode kit! It flat out rocks. I have one on my Viper. Totally transformed the chassis!!
Do a search, Ive yet to see anyone not happy with it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
It really depends on what your ski stance preference is as to what options you have. I like the 38" stance over the 36" that the newer sleds have so I had to stick with Cat or Zbroz parts. Here's a link to what I went through with mine: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417126&highlight=front+end+thread

The BDX kit shown in the picture of your original post is the old one for the 38" stance and has the same geometry as stock 2013-2015 sleds, just shorter and lighter. If you go with the BDX 36" setup to get the newer geometry I think I'd opt for the billet upper a-arms. I've seen a few photos of the forged upper aluminum arms broken right where the ball joint screws in.

Last edited:

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
It really depends on what your ski stance preference is as to what options you have. I like the 38" stance over the 36" that the newer sleds have so I had to stick with Cat or Zbroz parts. Here's a link to what I went through with mine: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417126&highlight=front+end+thread

The BDX kit shown in the picture of your original post is the old one for the 38" stance and has the same geometry as stock 2013-2015 sleds, just shorter and lighter. If you go with the BDX 36" setup to get the newer geometry I think I'd opt for the billet upper a-arms. I've seen a few photos of the forged upper aluminum arms broken right where the ball joint screws in.

Thanks for the link to that thread. Read it twice lol. I just got this sled, got a couple hundred miles on it. Love it, but it’s handling in fresh fluffy snow is inconsistent... sorta dives from one side to the other unexpectedly. And I feel most of that is due to the skinny skis (what was cat thinking). So I’ll do the grippers but read about how night and day the 16+ geometry is so wanted to add that as well.

Good to know the shorter bdx spindles don’t really change the geometry.

I also want to stick with the 38” cause I ride all types areas/conditions, little trail but occasionally.

The barcode system seems like the ultimate and I’d love to go that route but $9hundred somthing is not in the cards.

I feel confident after all the input and reading the cat 16+ upgrade is the way for me. That and the grippers should be a awesome upgrade. I like the idea of readily available replacement parts. Even though I’ll have to carry some spare tie-rod ends lol

W
Sep 26, 2014
Change the skis for sure...I have slp powder pros and it was a huge improvement! I ride in the woods and in the pow ( 2-3 ft) it performs awesome .. I really want to go 36 .. 16 spindles etc ... if anybody wants my 38 front pm me and we can work out a good deal! Shoot me a pm..

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
Barcode

I put the barcode kit on my 15 and also installed grippers. Used stock 15 spindles. Huge improvement and I love the 36" stance. It's pricey but well worth it in my opinion. Sidehills much better than stock and very easy to get on edge. Took a day to get use to it.

Last edited:
J
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for the link to that thread. Read it twice lol. I just got this sled, got a couple hundred miles on it. Love it, but it’s handling in fresh fluffy snow is inconsistent... sorta dives from one side to the other unexpectedly. And I feel most of that is due to the skinny skis (what was cat thinking). So I’ll do the grippers but read about how night and day the 16+ geometry is so wanted to add that as well.

Good to know the shorter bdx spindles don’t really change the geometry.

I also want to stick with the 38” cause I ride all types areas/conditions, little trail but occasionally.

The barcode system seems like the ultimate and I’d love to go that route but $9hundred somthing is not in the cards.

I feel confident after all the input and reading the cat 16+ upgrade is the way for me. That and the grippers should be a awesome upgrade. I like the idea of readily available replacement parts. Even though I’ll have to carry some spare tie-rod ends lol

I hear ya on the cost. But by the time you factor it all the other stuff you need, the Barcode kit is no more than the others.
Its totally fine on the trail.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
the barcode kit pushes the skis out further forward no? i just cant get on board with that. but im sure it rolls up on edge easier.
maybe with mohawk skis mounted in rear most position.
not sure if you need uppers (kinda dont think so?) but BDX garage sale has a few sets.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
the barcode kit pushes the skis out further forward no? i just cant get on board with that. but im sure it rolls up on edge easier.
maybe with mohawk skis mounted in rear most position.
not sure if you need uppers (kinda dont think so?) but BDX garage sale has a few sets.

What’s your thoughts about the skiis pushed forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
What’s your thoughts about the skiis pushed forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

man, i just dont think its the right direction is all. i go by feel. the stock skis stick out front too far as it is imo. look at the gripper thread above, i posted a pic of the mohawks next to stock floppers...

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Cats 38" '16 style kit is the best bang for the buck. That's what I have on my '14 and it made a world of difference, i see no need to go skinnier. Another big improvement if you do much sidehilling is narrow running boards.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I would just go with the Cat parts, the 16+ set up works really well. I have been on a '15 loaner for two weekends now and swapped back and forth with my buddies '16. It is night and day. IMO the early proclimb handling was a step backwards from the 2011 M series. The new front end changes all of that. I can't wait to get my 17 MC back from the shop, the 15 handles like crap IMO.

Premium Features