For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Arctic Cat: M Series 2005-Current, all models in the M-series chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Currently: Ready To Ride!!
MI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bought a 2009 M8 HCR w/ Boondocker turbo...

...and I have a few questions for those of you running similar sleds...

This is an '09, so last of the non-HO 800's. It got a new controller last year due to the original having a cracked (and unreadable) LCD display. The new controller has EBC, while the old one has a manual boost setup.

I'm told that it never ran that well with it's original controller, and that with the new one, it is pretty unhappy in the mid-range...

The box the new controller came in says "CBA-A025 - 2013 Arctic Cat M8" which I think corresponds to a pump gas setup for the newer HO engine...

I found base cal settings Boondocker's website that are listed as "for 2009-newer sleds". I'm planning to start with those settings next year and see how it goes...

If anyone can provide a better starting point, that would be great! Or any advice in general, really...

Thanks!!!

'09 M8 Sno Pro 153"
'02 Z440 Sno Pro - Wife's sled, my project...
New to the fleet:
'09 M8 HCR 153 Boondocker Turbo

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Currently: Keyboard highmarking at its best.
jim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond repute

I have this sled with the separate EBC and boondocker fuel controller...you could manually adjust the boost level, and the EBC compensated for altitude. Works great. The new integrated EBC controller is the same thing, it just has the function of the EBC integrated.

A few things about this sled. Replace the diamond drive bearing immediately. I checked mine at about 1000 miles and the cage has fallen apart and it was ready to fall apart entirely. Also, I fought fueling on this sled for the first year...was getting odd rich spots off of idle and in the midrange at times. Sometimes it was so bad the sled would barely turn the track past 10mph. I then went to a cold air intake and this solved any fueling problems I had. For some reason, that sled did not handle the gulp of hot air it would get at times...usually after a decent pull or if sitting idle for a bit. The cold air intake fixed all of this.

As for fuel numbers, leave the idle circuit alone...it tends to work well left alone for the stock ECU. And then for each rpm range under boost set it pig rich to start out with and pull back from there. And for boost levels, start out low...around 5PSI for 6k feet is a good start. And raise boost from there until your duty cycle is around 85-90% and leave alone.

Lastly, this turbo set-up is what I would call "almost pump gas"...meaning if you run boost up to the 90-95% duty cycle range, you will start to get a detonation code. To make sure I'm safe, I run octane booster. I use half a bottle of 16 oz Royal Purple octane booster per full tank of gas and this keeps me safe from any det codes. I use this octane booster because you can get it at most parts stores (I get mine at Oreillys).

The Following User Says Thank You to jim For This Useful Post:
MI1M600EFI (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:06 PM
MI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond reputeMI1M600EFI has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jim, that was fast!! I haven't powered this thing up yet, but it appears the later cals were not modifying the map much at all, while cals for the earlier model like mine may have added quite a bit of fuel at higher RPM's for all loads.

Interesting on the cold air... Makes sense to me, and jives with how others described how this sled ran... hit and miss... Someone put frog skins over all the hood vents, and I'll be pulling those off... I don't ride in botomless powder much, and I think they really limit airflow underhood...

Unfortunately the factory intake setup is all hacked up and missing... I'll do some research. One of my friends put the intake pipe right up through the hood... Not really interested in that route on this otherwise clean sled...

Since I think my M8 snow pro does fine with no turbo, I'll probably keep the boost on this thing really low, like 4psi or so. That should make it happy on pump gas for sure... Honestly, I may just let this thing go next fall and keep looking for a good deal on a clean '10-11 Sno Pro 153...

As for the DD, I'll check it this summer and replace it if it's not a wide one. My sled still had the factory narrow bearing at ~2500 miles when I bought it, so this one may also be stock... I have an extra wide bearing that I ordered when I did my Sno Pro, so I'm all set aside from doing the work.

'09 M8 Sno Pro 153"
New to the fleet:

Last edited by MI1M600EFI; 04-03-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:45 PM

Quick update. Sent an email to boondocker and got good starting numbers. Not quite what's in the box, but close.

I really don't know if I want this turbo sled or not... It's really clean aside from a few bumps and bruises, and the mileage is low, so if it turns out to be reliable and fun at low boost, it's probably a keeper.

I'll pull it in and check the DD later this fall.

If anyone wants a clean turbo M8, I'm probably up for selling it, or perhaps a trade for an un-molested '10-11 Sno Pro 153.

'09 M8 Sno Pro 153"
New to the fleet: