For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Mountain/Deep Powder Riding at its best

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2018, 09:43 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Cat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond reputeCat-man-Doo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Carrying avalanche gear

Just about everyone carries their shovel and probe in a backpack. I don't ride in avalanche prone conditions (not into highmarking or that sort of thing) but ride the backcountry and feel that avy gear should be carried. I'm not really interested in wearing a backpack if i don't have to and I see that there is an outfit that makes a shovel rack for the tunnel that uses the skidoo linqs. Thoughts on carrying the shovel on your back as opposed to on the tunnel??

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Currently: Let it SNOW!!
Ryan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I have been curious about this as well, I have always carried my shovel in my avalanche air bag, but have thought for a while if your buddy is caught in an avalanche, you would ride away on your sled out of the run out zone and then use your sled to get close with your beacon and if your shovel was on your tunnel you could probably get it out quicker than if in your back pack. I am interested to hear what other people's opinions are.

Last edited by Ryan-41; 03-29-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-29-2018, 04:07 PM
Basic Member
SLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond reputeSLEDPEDDLER has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Have one on my backpack as well as on the sled, make sure you have a steel head and not plastic!

Old 03-29-2018, 04:30 PM
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEDPEDDLER View Post
Have one on my backpack as well as on the sled, make sure you have a steel head and not plastic!
This^^ for you guys who do not want a back pack you can keep it down to the basics. life safety only in the pack and use the tunnel bag for all other stuff. You can have a condition when the sled is covered and you are not, now your shovel is covered and your buddies are covered.
this did happen at the big iron shootout a few years back.
i keep one on the sled and my pack.

The Following User Says Thank You to kiliki For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 PM
Currently: trials213mt@gmail.com
Solarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond repute

Avi instructors and experienced back country riders would recommend all your avi gear be carried in or on your pack. Obvious reason would be swept off your sled and separated where you are not buried and need to help others in your group. Your sled could be buried or?

The Following User Says Thank You to Solarguy For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 04:42 PM
capulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond repute

Get it, i hate wearing a back pack, but really should have the stuff on your body.

Could look at vests or other smaller more comfortable means of carrying the stuff. Mystery Ranch used to make a pack called the broomstick that was basically shovel and probe. Now they just make smaller packs. Vest seems the best, and many offer trauma and stab protection.

Lots of people do both. One in the pack, one on the sled for easy reach and not having to take pack off.

It's your life and comfort level. Took several years of riding, but my pack saved my *** this winter. Stuffed it on top of a really steep sidehill in tits deep snow. Bike stayed at the top, and i went down the hill. Only way back was to take the pack off and use it to keep from sinking in the snow and crawl up the deep snow. Was just too deep to posthole.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capulin overdrive For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018), OldMtn58 (09-16-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:03 AM
XFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-man-Doo View Post
Just about everyone carries their shovel and probe in a backpack. I don't ride in avalanche prone conditions (not into highmarking or that sort of thing) but ride the backcountry and feel that avy gear should be carried. I'm not really interested in wearing a backpack if i don't have to and I see that there is an outfit that makes a shovel rack for the tunnel that uses the skidoo linqs. Thoughts on carrying the shovel on your back as opposed to on the tunnel??

One of the biggest misconceptions is “i dont ride in avalanche prone conditions”.

I have had the opportunity to ride in dozens of different riding areas, and even when its a high danger day and we do everything possible to limit risk, there are still avalanche hazards. These hazards im talking about are at the place everyone feels safe and sound, the trail.... There are more trails with avalanche terrain above them than a person would ever guess. Once i started looking i realized how unaware we really are about this. There are also many small hills and terrain traps that could bury you than a person would guess. The best thing you can do is get educated on the snow, whether you highmark or not.

Now onto the original question.

Yes you should absolutely 100% have a backpack on everytime you are riding in the mountains. As stated above, if you dont have a shovel on YOU and your sled gets buried, you don’t, but you buddy does, guess what the outcome is. If weight is an issue try on the new avy vests from bca. The weight distribution makes you forget youre wearing it. That slight hindrance could save your friends life. Remember, this gear isn’t about you, its about your friends and loved ones.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XFIRE800 For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (04-06-2018), christopher (09-11-2018), OldMtn58 (09-16-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:48 AM
Currently: The person Elky looks up too.
Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,153 Posts
NorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond repute

I go absolutely minimum in my Avi pack as I have had back issues all my life. All my Avi gear and survival stuff goes in that. On the sled tunnel pack I carry a bigger shovel (largest one BCA makes from a few years back). The one on the tunnel gets used a bunch but is much easier and faster to access. Plus if I can help it I don't like to take my avi pack off. With the shovel on the tunnel I can use that for digging out sleds or whatever else I want a shovel for.

If you spend some time shopping for your backpack or avi bag you can really find one that is a better fit for your body. I used to hate having a pack on. now that I have one that fits my body I don't even notice it anymore.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthMNSledder For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 07:21 AM
inspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever this comes up, I instantly think of this case.

https://www.sawtoothavalanche.com/ac...ent2-16-14.pdf

I keep my smaller/lighter shovel in my pack, and my bigger shovel on the tunnel.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to inspector01 For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 07:38 AM
kiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond reputekiliki has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Old 04-04-2018, 03:21 PM
Currently: currently looking for work to support my habit
bholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bholmlate For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (04-06-2018), christopher (09-11-2018), Nooby (09-11-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Thanked 1,113 Times in 635 Posts
SRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to SRXSRULE For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 09:35 AM
gonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-08-2018, 09:37 AM
XFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond reputeXFIRE800 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to XFIRE800 For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:24 AM
gonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to gonehuntnpowder For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:03 PM
JungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond reputeJungleJim has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JungleJim For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-02-2018), gonehuntnpowder (04-08-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 12:44 AM
Basic Member
Colbymh Colbymh Colbymh Colbymh Colbymh Colbymh Colbymh Colbymh Colbymh Colbymh Colbymh

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Colbymh For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 11:39 AM
polaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 15,181 Times in 7,182 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 09-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Big10inch For This Useful Post:
MountainCat1 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 12:32 AM
goridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goridedoo For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018), Nooby (09-11-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:17 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 09-03-2018, 08:33 AM
goridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond reputegoridedoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goridedoo For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-11-2018), kiliki (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:42 AM

Click Here to Register

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goridedoo For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (09-06-2018), christopher (09-11-2018), kiliki (09-03-2018), tmberro (09-11-2018)