For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Currently: working for the man
boondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Base Package Pickups

How many folks out there are getting by with lower trim level pickups? Sledders always seem to want the latest and greatest of everything, myself included. However, I'm starting to question what is really needed on my next pickup purchase. I'm going to be in the market for a diesel truck before the end of the year (hopefully) and the reality of truck prices is really setting in as I'm starting to layout my budget.

What really got me thinking about this is I ran across an ad last week for a truck: 2012 Ford F-450, 4wd, crew cab, emissions deleted, a decent flatbed, new tires, and 120k miles for $25k. The deal was it was an XL trim truck. The same truck in Lariat trim would be in the $40k range. Didn't appear to be beat up in photos, but you never know until you really see them. It had the basics: power windows, locks, cruise, heat/AC, CD player/radio with aux port, vinyl floor and seats, split front seat with fold down console, fold up rear seats, and running boards. In all honesty it wasn't that poorly equipped compared to what I'm used to driving now. It was an extra long wheelbase truck, so it had a 12' flatbed. With the wide track front end, turning radius would be about the same as a 350 crew cab long box. Driving it in town and parking wouldn't be a concern anyway with me keeping my old F-150 daily driver. Probably had a 40+gal fuel tank in the rear.

The more I thought about it the more it seemed this would actually make a pretty sweet sledding rig. Twelve foot bed would hold 2 mountain sleds nicely, and could probably do 3. All that space under the bed between the cab and rear wheels would be prime for large tool boxes to hold gear bags and gas cans aside from the standard truck items. Don't have to worry about tracking snow/mud in on the rubber floor.

Anyway, it's enough for me to think about what my priorities are. Anyone gone this route and really regretted it? Other downside from not having all the creature comforts is the resale isn't going to be great, but you're not paying what you're getting back out of it up front either.
2009 M1300, 2001 Mountain Cat 800 LE, 1972 Kitty Cat
Gone but not Forgotten:
1999 Powder Special 600 LE, 1998 Powder Special 600, 1993 EXT 550, 1980 JAG 340

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Currently: waiting on winter
freak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond reputefreak485 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocker97 View Post
How many folks out there are getting by with lower trim level pickups? Sledders always seem to want the latest and greatest of everything, myself included. However, I'm starting to question what is really needed on my next pickup purchase. I'm going to be in the market for a diesel truck before the end of the year (hopefully) and the reality of truck prices is really setting in as I'm starting to layout my budget.

What really got me thinking about this is I ran across an ad last week for a truck: 2012 Ford F-450, 4wd, crew cab, emissions deleted, a decent flatbed, new tires, and 120k miles for $25k. The deal was it was an XL trim truck. The same truck in Lariat trim would be in the $40k range. Didn't appear to be beat up in photos, but you never know until you really see them. It had the basics: power windows, locks, cruise, heat/AC, CD player/radio with aux port, vinyl floor and seats, split front seat with fold down console, fold up rear seats, and running boards. In all honesty it wasn't that poorly equipped compared to what I'm used to driving now. It was an extra long wheelbase truck, so it had a 12' flatbed. With the wide track front end, turning radius would be about the same as a 350 crew cab long box. Driving it in town and parking wouldn't be a concern anyway with me keeping my old F-150 daily driver. Probably had a 40+gal fuel tank in the rear.

The more I thought about it the more it seemed this would actually make a pretty sweet sledding rig. Twelve foot bed would hold 2 mountain sleds nicely, and could probably do 3. All that space under the bed between the cab and rear wheels would be prime for large tool boxes to hold gear bags and gas cans aside from the standard truck items. Don't have to worry about tracking snow/mud in on the rubber floor.

Anyway, it's enough for me to think about what my priorities are. Anyone gone this route and really regretted it? Other downside from not having all the creature comforts is the resale isn't going to be great, but you're not paying what you're getting back out of it up front either.

I think it really boils down to your needs and wants...and balancing them...i know lots of guys who hate leather so there always in a lower trim truck with cloth seats. Honestly it comes down to weather or not you want heated and cooled seats really. If its new enough most of them all the back up cameras, and most everything has power locks and doors unless its a work truck model.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:35 PM
Currently: Snowskippers Sled Club Pres
Basic Member
jrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond reputejrizman has a reputation beyond repute

I dislike all the b.s. electronics. The new trucks have so much of it. I went with xlt superduty because that was what I could get a hold of and the price was great. (My old truck was an 01 lariat, which was simple compared to the new lariat trim)
It has all the stuff I need and none of the touch screen b.s. that only is a distraction and extra expense to repair.
To each their own, but I like the simple stereo and all. It still has Bluetooth and remote start and supplemental heater.
I'm happy with my choice. I prefer to drive my truck not play with electronics

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Currently: Not set.
volcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a half ton for work in the woods. Used to be driving my own rig (by choice) and had 3 F150 SuperCrew Lariats. Company changed policy and put me in a '17 F150 Supercrew XL. Electric doors/mirrors, 4wd, 3.5 EB/10 speed. Nice enough truck. Biggest thing I missed was the heated seats for my back. I didn't like the cloth XL seats so I installed vinyl covers and installed seat heaters under these covers. Now, I'm pretty happy with the truck. I still own my '12 Lariat that I installed rear seat heaters in. Trip to McCall a couple weeks ago, the guy that rode in the back was pretty pleased with seat heat that is wired through a power-on relay (with switch of course). Since we were running short trips to the snow, he left the heater on so when I remote started the truck his seat was already warming up! My daughter drives an older Outback that I installed a back up camera on. Works really well for $150.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:39 AM
capulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond repute

Easy for me. Don't like leather, and the plain seats work better for taller guys.

Insane to me that people not only want all that crap, but are willing to pay for it.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Currently: I can't ride until I find my Superman cape!
Bubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond reputeBubba has a reputation beyond repute

If you got it and want it buy it.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Currently: working for the man
boondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
Easy for me. Don't like leather, and the plain seats work better for taller guys.

Insane to me that people not only want all that crap, but are willing to pay for it.
I prefer the feel of sitting in a cloth seat to leather as well. Never liked sitting on something I could slide around on. Heated cloth would be my choice if I could order a new truck.

How much lower are the cloth ones than the leather?! I'm a taller guy and I can't hardly sit in any newer truck without slouching in the seat to keep my head away from the roof, regardless of brand. All my friends newer trucks have leather though. 2010 and older Fords I'm fine regardless of the type of seats. 2011-2016 they changed something and I'm a little cramped for space. 2017+ there's more room again.

I agree if you have the spare cash and it's what you want go for it. I'm just no where near being able to spring for a high end model that's any newer than a 2010. Just trying to prioritize what I really need/want so I could maybe get a newer rig with fewer miles since I'll probably have it for a while.
2009 M1300, 2001 Mountain Cat 800 LE, 1972 Kitty Cat
Gone but not Forgotten:
1999 Powder Special 600 LE, 1998 Powder Special 600, 1993 EXT 550, 1980 JAG 340

Old 03-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Currently: Out to Lunch
IDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind the resale value.
Loaded trucks sell faster and higher.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:02 PM
Thanked 2,498 Times in 990 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

It really boils down to preference. Whatever you gain on the purchase price, you will likely give up something similar on the resale -unless you keep vehicles until end of useful life. I'm not one for excess electronics, but do like leather seats. We have cloth seats in one of our vehicles and leather in the other. With a kid and large dog in the fam....cleanup in the leather vehicle is a breeze compared to cloth.

As my current truck is getting older, the thought of buying a new/newer truck with all the gadgets really doesn't excite me...I can turn a knob to adjust heater, back up without a camera, etc. Just more junk that doesn't work when the truck gets a few years old. So I get that part for sure!

Old 03-27-2018, 06:35 PM
Currently: and here we have a monkey with 4 asses
Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute
Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 PM
polaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond reputepolaris dude has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 04-02-2018, 12:09 PM
inspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond reputeinspector01 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Currently: Hele i kahi mokupuni
Thanked 2,418 Times in 1,529 Posts
05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 04-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Currently: TOO MANY PROJECTS!
joshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 04-02-2018, 06:01 PM
Currently: and here we have a monkey with 4 asses
Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Reg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-16-2018, 11:05 PM
Currently: Fighting Winter Wildlands with everything I've got
kidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-18-2018, 11:47 PM
Thanked 2,498 Times in 990 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaynelson For This Useful Post:
05900 (06-20-2018), kidwoo (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Currently: Patiently waiting for my '19
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Currently: Fighting Winter Wildlands with everything I've got
kidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to kidwoo For This Useful Post:
Jaynelson (06-24-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 05:19 AM
GoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register