• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VIDEO: Alpha 1 Track in motion.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We’ve had a lot of people asking for more details on how the Mountain Cat Alpha One mono rail skid and track work together. Here’s a closer look at how the track follows the ground while the Alpha One skid flexes with the chassis. @arcticcat_snow #snowestmagazine

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KRglyeaHFR0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I think it take more pressure to bend than what I thought it would. If you think about mountain riding 80% of the time you are manipulating the track to get the sled to go the direction you want to go. Skis play a part but the track does most of the work. I really do think this flexing track is an paradigm shift, Pol and Doo will come out with a 2 rail design with a similar width to avoid the paten.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I cant imagine this will sidehill well. . . especially on firmer snow.

For example . . . if you are on a snowboard going across a slope, would you rather have half of the edge fold over, or a stiff edge to cut into the snow and hold the snowboard on its edge?

We use a combination of throttle and countersteer to manipulate the sled to go in a particular direction . .. . not a folding floppy track.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Sorry, u cannot compare skis and snowboards to a track.
I know it seems so similar when cutting in to a sidehill but it is not....
Never seen skis or snowboards with 3in paddles. Those paddles are more significant than people understand.
They provide lateral stability that skis and Boards cannot.

Alpha ......

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Sorry, u cannot compare skis and snowboards to a track.
I know it seems so similar when cutting in to a sidehill but it is not....
Never seen skis or snowboards with 3in paddles. Those paddles are more significant than people understand.
They provide lateral stability that skis and Boards cannot.

Alpha ......

Not to mention, snowboards don’t have their own power source.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Certainly interesting. Am looking forward to seeing how it pulls aggressive sidehills on set-up snow and how it compares to the Axys there.

As for welcome to the future...on-board there. But how long until sleds look like a Snowhawk? Was the future already here? We keep going more and more narrow up front with tracks that roll side to side easily.

Do we end up with 13" or 14" wide tracks that are longer? If the push really is a sled that will simply roll on it's edge with minimal force, how far do we go? And when are we OK with minimal side to side stability? Maybe rider preference?

Don't know...but it's cool to see the innovation and fun to watch the trends.

G

GTfly4

Dec 25, 2010
South Dakota
I cant imagine this will sidehill well. . . especially on firmer snow.

For example . . . if you are on a snowboard going across a slope, would you rather have half of the edge fold over, or a stiff edge to cut into the snow and hold the snowboard on its edge?

We use a combination of throttle and countersteer to manipulate the sled to go in a particular direction . .. . not a folding floppy track.

I think the part that we might be missing in that common comparison is the source of motion. Gravity vs propulsion. Propulsion might throw in a variable to that equation that will make it work.
I'm really curious to see how this works in the field. Z-bros posted an awesome review of it last night on here. Anxious to hear more as they come in.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That is exactly what everyone is not seeing. It is more than a solid edge. An axys will wash down. Traction and forward momentum mean more than most think. Flex edge has rolled edge and less track in snow for traction in spring conditions.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
That is exactly what everyone is not seeing. It is more than a solid edge. An axys will wash down. Traction and forward momentum mean more than most think. Flex edge has rolled edge and less track in snow for traction in spring conditions.

This is where it get interesting...because "firm snow" to one person is not to another...and the meaning of a "steep sidehill" varies greatly from person to person.

I think the flex edge comparison is a good one...some feel that this track will sidehill great. But my experience is that it barely holds a steep sidehill and requires full steering lock countersteer to do so...tons of drag due to that and very inefficient with sidehilling. And it washes out very easy if you aren't perfect with throttle control...a bit too much and your nose is pointed straight uphill and you are stuck. But awesome, agile sled to ride...very easy to lay over and cut tight radius turns with. So, there is the tradeoff.

And as for an Axys washing out...sure, it can...any sled can. But when I ride one and cut a steep sidehill, it holds as good as anything, requires minimal steering/ countersteering input to do so, holds a very level edge (track is not always one foot below the skis) and you can simply feel it has minimal drag. Very easy and predictable to sidehill.

I would expect this sled to be very easy to ride and manuever, but not hold the steep sidehill well. And I'm not talking any sidehill...I'm talking steep ones. 45-50+ degree range...not 30 degrees (which some consider a steep sidehill).

And just like the Doos, I would expect the Alpha to require minimal energy to ride...but I think it will be limited when it comes to extreme terrain, specifically the sidehilling.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
it will never work and im only going to sidehill on hardpack to prove it. screw the rest of mountain riding.
that'll show em...

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
I think the part that we might be missing in that common comparison is the source of motion. Gravity vs propulsion. Propulsion might throw in a variable to that equation that will make it work.
I'm really curious to see how this works in the field. Z-bros posted an awesome review of it last night on here. Anxious to hear more as they come in.

Where’s the Z-bros review? Can’t seem to find it...

Thanks

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
This is where it get interesting...because "firm snow" to one person is not to another...and the meaning of a "steep sidehill" varies greatly from person to person.

I think the flex edge comparison is a good one...some feel that this track will sidehill great. But my experience is that it barely holds a steep sidehill and requires full steering lock countersteer to do so...tons of drag due to that and very inefficient with sidehilling. And it washes out very easy if you aren't perfect with throttle control...a bit too much and your nose is pointed straight uphill and you are stuck. But awesome, agile sled to ride...very easy to lay over and cut tight radius turns with. So, there is the tradeoff.

And as for an Axys washing out...sure, it can...any sled can. But when I ride one and cut a steep sidehill, it holds as good as anything, requires minimal steering/ countersteering input to do so, holds a very level edge (track is not always one foot below the skis) and you can simply feel it has minimal drag. Very easy and predictable to sidehill.

I would expect this sled to be very easy to ride and manuever, but not hold the steep sidehill well. And I'm not talking any sidehill...I'm talking steep ones. 45-50+ degree range...not 30 degrees (which some consider a steep sidehill).

And just like the Doos, I would expect the Alpha to require minimal energy to ride...but I think it will be limited when it comes to extreme terrain, specifically the sidehilling.

Have you been on an Alpha ? If so please elaborate on your experience of barely holds a steep side hill.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I play on 45 to 50 degrees all the time and there is no doubt in my mind that the axys is better than the doo. Most aren't that steep but yes that is what separates the men from the boys. Good snow is fine and spring snow the doo will wash and is more of a workout. Not arguing that. I have or rode about everything. What I am arguing is this is different, possibly, because more track is engaged and it is not a flex edge track. The track is going to flex in the middle and possibly less back by the axle. Seems like it has to to a degree. I bet the track is also stiffer than what we have run before. It might be solid by the rear axle to cut into the sidehill like you want and conform in the middle to give more purchase and possibly be better. I don't know and be talking out my but but all the nay sayers might be also. Completely different than anybody has ran.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
How can it be in this day and age that a manufacturer does not have video ready to go to support a new sled release, that shows all phases of typical mountain riding? Get your pros to show it climbing and sidehlling in tough conditions and you would mostly eliminate this chatter. And, it would remove a lot of hesitation for guys thinking of snow checking. At this point, it is kind of a red flag that they did not release a vid of the Alpha sidehilling in steep, firm conditions (where the Axys shines), because they had to anticipate the doubts in that regard. Personally, I'd still buy one without trying it, because it obviously rips in every other scenario, and I don't care much about sidehilling in those conditions. I'm sure it would get me where I want to go, far better than an '08 XP, which is the sled I had when I learned to ride the really techy stuff. If your highest priority is sidehilling a frozen wall over a cliff, then this is probably not the machine for you.

Premium Features