• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So many UNUSED spare belts on my Gen 4 850s

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So there I was.
Ready to head up to Canada for a 10 day SnoWest adventure.

3 days of Riding in Pemberton and 3 more days of riding in Revelstoke.

Have read over and over again how "everyone" is blowing through belts on their 850s. So I thought on this occassion I would be extra careful as I didn't want anything to effect my big trip. So I bought SIX spare belts to take up north with me just on the chance that maybe it really was the snow, the elevation, the mountain angle, the Loooooong pulls, SOMETHING that was wildly different up there than down here in Idaho that was causing people to blow through belts.

6 Days of long hard riding.
4 850s in our group, (1 turbo)

And guess what.

I came home with SIX SPARE UNUSED BELTS.

I am yet to change out a single OEM belt on any of my 4 850s!
Not one stinking belt has yet to go out on me in two seasons of riding.

Honestly I don't get it.
I know there are guys who are OBLITERATING belts every single weekend. But I honestly think they are the exception and NOT the rule.

As for me.
I am SnowChecking a 2019 Summit X 165 w/SHOT in Lava Red for next year. I absolutely LOVE these 850s!

cq5dam.web.1024.1024.jpeg

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
Lol that’s funny. All my buddies ride 850 and one of the has blow a belt this year that’s it. I’m a Polaris guy and I’m really thinking about getting that red 850 as well, but a 175 :)

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You ride like a grandma! :eyebrows: I have only blown 1 belt on my 2 850's. Never blown one on my turbo (850 miles) and blown 1 on the stocker (900 miles). Attached is a picture taken 10 minutes before I blew the belt...

IMAG0512.jpg

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
That’s all good n stuff but after 3 blown belts (2in one day) and 2 schorched belts I was about to go to cat. But, after completely changing the clutching and gearing it was much better. Definitely thinking of a red 154x2.5.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You ride like a grandma! :eyebrows: I have only blown 1 belt on my 2 850's. Never blown one on my turbo (850 miles) and blown 1 on the stocker (900 miles). Attached is a picture taken 10 minutes before I blew the belt...
DAMN.
That is some FINE LOOKING SNOW there!!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That’s all good n stuff but after 3 blown belts (2in one day) and 2 schorched belts I was about to go to cat. But, after completely changing the clutching and gearing it was much better. Definitely thinking of a red 154x2.5.

I hear ya.
I KNOW there are guys out there that are just destroying belts.
But in my case it sure wasn't for lack of TRYING.:face-icon-small-hap

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
So there I was.
Ready to head up to Canada for a 10 day SnoWest adventure.

3 days of Riding in Pemberton and 3 more days of riding in Revelstoke.

Have read over and over again how "everyone" is blowing through belts on their 850s. So I thought on this occassion I would be extra careful as I didn't want anything to effect my big trip. So I bought SIX spare belts to take up north with me just on the chance that maybe it really was the snow, the elevation, the mountain angle, the Loooooong pulls, SOMETHING that was wildly different up there than down here in Idaho that was causing people to blow through belts.

6 Days of long hard riding.
4 850s in our group, (1 turbo)

And guess what.

I came home with SIX SPARE UNUSED BELTS.

I am yet to change out a single OEM belt on any of my 4 850s!
Not one stinking belt has yet to go out on me in two seasons of riding.

Honestly I don't get it.
I know there are guys who are OBLITERATING belts every single weekend. But I honestly think they are the exception and NOT the rule.

As for me.
I am SnowChecking a 2019 Summit X 165 w/SHOT in Lava Red for next year. I absolutely LOVE these 850s!

cq5dam.web.1024.1024.jpeg

Going back to a Summit? Didn’t like the Freeride as much?

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I have about 1200 miles on 3 belts. only blown 1, was the first ride out after putting in a clutch kit. Ride with 5 or 6 other 850's, damn near every fricken one of them are blue, I have the only blown belt.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Going back to a Summit? Didn’t like the Freeride as much?
The Freeride has been a fun ride, but I really just am NOT using the extra beefed up suspension. I DO like the highly adjustable shocks, and wished they offered it on the Summit X, but I suspect its just a cost issue on BRPs end.

So yes, I will move back to just the Summit X for next year once again.

Hopefully I will get it early enough that I can get some mods done to it this year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher...
Your sled is ExceptionAl !

But this is my FOURTH 850 and NONE of them have ever replaced an OEM Belt, not even the Turbo?

I may not be the most aggressive guy in the group, but for crying out loud, I ride the dang things every weekend and did some LONG Multi-Minute pulls in Canada pinned going up the glacier face.

Beats me.
I suppose I should just be happy and count my blessings.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
We have 9 gen4 850s in are group with last season and so far this season not not of us has blown a belt. And 2 of the 9 are turbos

Translation:

We have 9 GEN 4 850’s in our group.

Last season, NOT ONE of us blew a single belt.

Out of those 9 850’s, 2 of them are turbos!

Premium Features