For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Currently: Patiently waiting for my '19
Thanked 1,024 Times in 610 Posts
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tire chains for the truck - Which style?

I'm in the market for a set of tire chains in 295/65/20 and appear to have a few choices as to the style of chain. They will be on my 15 F350 CCLB with sleds and a deck, sometimes a trailer in tow.

I have no experience with tire chains and am unsure which one I should be looking at. I'd be surprised if I'll use them twice a year and only for getting into/out of areas to sled. It's unlikely I will use them on the highway, but you never know.

Which set should I be looking at? I'm not interested in the cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	293661  

2016 Summit X T3 154

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Currently: Not set.
stahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond reputestahlecker has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up a couple sets of these for my BFG AT ko2 LT275/65R18 on aftermarket wheels. They fit perfect for those. Have yet to need them just installed to check fit. If I remember correctly the Peerless website showed me actually needing the next size up. I cross referenced a lot of similar size tires and decided to go with the smaller chain set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Following User Says Thank You to stahlecker For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,013 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong, but only really seen people use the v-bar for winter in a truck. We have used them on little Toyota's for hunting and they are amazing (compared to no chains). You would be very, very limited on speed for any type of on-road use

Old 02-27-2018, 07:46 PM
volcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the Diamond Back style chain you show in your diagram. There is a 2300 series and a 2500 series. The 2500 is a heavier duty version but works the same. They go on and off from the outside of the tire so you don't have to crawl under the dirty drippy truck.

I also run chain snuggers on these to keep them firm to the tire so they don't sling when you get up to speed. I have had to chain up on the highway before and they ride reasonably smooth and offer nice lateral traction to keep from skidding sideways and also allowing to turn.

I have run my share of ladder style chains which have more "pull" but for general use the newer style are easier and smoother.

http://lacledechain.com/product/alpi...ck-suv-chains/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volcano buster For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (02-27-2018), NorthMNSledder (02-28-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Basic Member
slyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond repute

my experience is that when conditions are so poor that i need chains, i need the best traction i can get. i have had several types over the years and have found the v-type work best for me..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slyrydr For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (02-27-2018), NorthMNSledder (03-01-2018), volcano buster (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 05:45 AM
Currently: Out to Lunch
IDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond reputeIDspud has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vbar

Another vote for vbar, take a beating and serious bite.
Also prefer the cam lock to put a real squeeze on the tire, protects fenders and rims better. Keeps the wife happy when I need to chain her duraburb up...
We haul 8 sleds with it, so weight can shred a weak chain pretty quick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IDspud For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (02-28-2018), volcano buster (02-28-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Currently: Making Feethookers!
meathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond repute

V-bar all the way.

We’ve had situations where the non-vbar chains still slide.
Arctic Cat Proclimb, M series / Polaris - Pro, IQ Raw, Edge, IQ, and IQr / Ski doo - XP and XM / Yamaha - Nytro
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/u...climbgreen.jpg
Price $165-$185

The Following User Says Thank You to meathooker For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Currently: Semi-retired. Work in the summer so I can ride all winter. Perfect
eyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond reputeeyefish123 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely the v-bar in my opinion. I would also add that with the F-350 I would get a chain that is as heavy duty as you can get. With the added weight of what is being pulled or hauled plus the weight of the diesel engine you can eat up standard duty chains really easily. Just my observations of 40 some odd years of being too stupid to know when to turn around. LOL
Good Luck in your choice.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to eyefish123 For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I will pursue the Vbar setup!

2016 Summit X T3 154

Old 03-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Thanked 1,169 Times in 603 Posts
turboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond repute
Old 03-01-2018, 11:20 PM
volcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Basic Member
HenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to HenryTheHammer For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (03-02-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 03-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Currently: CONTEMPLATING: "Laughter is gods hand on a troubled world.".
Thanked 9,378 Times in 4,157 Posts
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Blk88GT For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (03-08-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Currently: Waiting for some Snow
zal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond reputezal has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to zal For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 05:09 PM
Currently: CONTEMPLATING: "Laughter is gods hand on a troubled world.".
Thanked 9,378 Times in 4,157 Posts
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Currently: Let it snow !!!
donbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-22-2018, 01:57 PM
Currently: Waiting on the weekend
BigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond reputeBigT has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-15-2018, 06:28 AM
dodgetruck2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register