For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Arctic Cat: Proclimb M 2012 and beyond

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Currently: Dreaming of riding in deep, deep powder!
Frostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there an Easier Pulling/Starting Mountain Sled

I am going to ask this question at the risk of being called a wimp!

I had an Arctic Cat M8 for years and even with the SLP stage III kit, I never had an issue starting the sled when it was cold. I updated to a 2015 M8000 and the sled was harder to pull over than the M8 but, I managed. A month ago I added a SSI high compression head and now when it's below 10 degrees the M8000 is a real bugger to pull. I guess that's fairly predictable.

I'm not a huge guy but, I'm not a featherweight either. I weight about 180 and am in pretty good shape. Years ago I had the same issue with my wife's 99 Phazer 500 Mountain Lite in Cooke City when it was below zero. We could hardly pull the sled over.

Like all of us, maybe I am just getting older and I'm wondering if there is a sled that is easier (better mechanical advantage) than my M8000 Proclimb?

Is the new Cat engine is easier to pull over when cold than the Suzuki engine?

I love the Skidoo SHOT system but, it's always that first start in the morning that is the tough one and with the SHOT setup, you still have to start it initially to charge the super capacitor.

I would bet that other manufactures are inking deals with Bombardier to use their SHOT technology on their 2020 sleds.

I don't want to have to carry around the extra weight of an electric start but, there has to be a mountains led that is easier to pull over than the M8000 when it's cold.

Has anyone else ever had to stand on their rails and jump back to start their M8000 when it's below 10 degrees? I am worried the starter rope is going to break.

What are your thoughts, ideas and experiences?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Currently: Meadow Muffin
Thanked 1,235 Times in 687 Posts
89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute

Electric start, won't own a sled without it!

The Following User Says Thank You to 89sandman For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Sledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tired the c-tech oil, I would assume that would pull over easier with the thinner oil.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Currently: Enjoying all the deep pow!
txinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond reputetxinmt has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Just my very humble opinion......but the only easy 2-stroker to start is one with crappy compression or one with electric start. I have a ‘14 M8000 that has great compression and is a bugger to start. I did just snap the factory starter rope a few weeks ago. I replaced it with a Cobra Cord that has a lifetime warranty. I have 4 cats and only 2 of them have electric start. I have actually thought of putting electric start on all of them for the sake of my family. I have a wife and two daughters and none of them can pull start our sleds (they all have really good compression). Unless you are competing professionally in hill climb competitions, I think it is worth getting/adding electric start. I like to take different family and friends sledding on them from time to time and it would make life much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to txinmt For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:32 PM
sno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond repute

18 cats are supposed to be easier. might even have a decompressor?
polaris' are easier.
even with e-start id pull it over slowly on cold mornings first. just me.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Frostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond reputeFrostbite has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear it's not just me!

I just bought a new 50cc Stihl chainsaw and it has a decompressor to make it easier to start so, I would think an 800cc sled would have a mechanism to make them easier to start.

I know sleds and dirtbikes have had decompressors in the past and they ended up leaking compression in the past. Perhaps that's why they were deleted?

Old 02-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Currently: ready
007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute007 has a reputation beyond repute

as said above. I always pull my sled over 2-3 times real easy. It really does loosen up, then give it the normal pull. fires right up.

"its bad luck to be superstitious"

The Following User Says Thank You to 007 For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Speaking of oil.....I bet doing an oil injection delete might help?

Old 02-23-2018, 04:39 PM
Currently: Alpha Hawk!
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute

My 18 starts much easier than my 14. Now the strength required to pull the rope is the same or a touch tougher on the 18 but its always 1 pull, 14 is 3 pulls when cold.

Alpha ......

Old 02-23-2018, 06:43 PM
Basic Member
BBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond reputeBBP has a reputation beyond repute
The Following User Says Thank You to BBP For This Useful Post:
440rev (03-01-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Currently: Digging the Alpha One
Woody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond reputeWoody67 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Woody67 For This Useful Post:
BBP (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Tyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond reputeTyman212 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 PM
Currently: www.youtube.com/ippielb
Basic Member
ippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond reputeippielb has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-23-2018, 08:37 PM
Currently: Counting the days
Allseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond reputeAllseasons has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-23-2018, 11:05 PM
Currently: '14 m8 SP 153-hyvos, dmnd-s, anti-stb,
Vern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 02-23-2018, 11:11 PM
Deanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond reputeDeanearl has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-23-2018, 11:51 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 AM
Currently: '14 m8 SP 153-hyvos, dmnd-s, anti-stb,
Vern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond reputeVern has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 02-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Currently: Geographicly Displaced Snowmobiler
pitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond reputepitchervy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to pitchervy For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 09:05 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Currently: WTF mother nature?
Basic Member
clutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond reputeclutch has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to clutch For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (02-28-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 09:27 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-25-2018, 06:30 AM
Old & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond reputeOld & slow has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Old & slow For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (02-28-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Basic Member
Mike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond reputeMike from langley has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike from langley For This Useful Post:
Frostbite (02-28-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Currently: Fighting Winter Wildlands with everything I've got
kidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond reputekidwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register