For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Currently: Not set.
Catrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond reputeCatrider144 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sled deck pros & cons advice

I am thinking about switching from a trailer to a sled deck and I would like some honest opinions from people that have them. Both good and bad. I am on the fence if I should get one or not. Thanks for the input.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Currently: The person Elky looks up too.
Thanked 3,837 Times in 2,153 Posts
NorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to give it a try this year and will be selling the deck shortly.

We are in MN and planned to use the deck on our trips out west to save time and get a bit better MPG's on those 2,000+ mile trips. While the deck let us run a bit quicker on the interstate (5mph) the sled catching the wind actually resulted in similar MPG's. We got back a couple weeks ago from a 3,600 mile round trip to Grizzly lodge in BC. Made the exact same trip last year pulling a 7x25 enclosed all aluminum inline. Running the deck this year we averaged .8 mpg better for the entire trip then last year pulling the trailer. But what we really noticed is how much slower the deck is to use when loading an unloading. By the time you load the sleds and the bed of the truck, put the covers on the sleds and leave vs just hooking onto the trailer and leaving since everything is already loaded and ready to go in the trailer.

If I lived closer to the mtns and didn't have to mess with the covers or all the other tools and such we bring on long trips I would love having the deck set-up. But for me personally the deck is not worth the extra hassle vs the smaller enclosed trailer.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NorthMNSledder For This Useful Post:
Catrider144 (02-21-2018), Coldfinger (02-21-2018), ggcustoms (02-22-2018), Mark's RMK (02-25-2018), Pro-8250 (03-02-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:57 PM
NWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeNWAlpineAssassin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthMNSledder View Post

If I lived closer to the mtns and didn't have to mess with the covers or all the other tools and such we bring on long trips I would love having the deck set-up. But for me personally the deck is not worth the extra hassle vs the smaller enclosed trailer.

This about sums it up....I live out west and choose to go with a deck, main reason being that any time they put up chain controls on the passes they require you to chain up your truck AND trailer. Not playing that game. With that being said, I've seen the roads in Wisconsin during the winter and there is NO WAY I'd run a deck out there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NWAlpineAssassin For This Useful Post:
Mark's RMK (02-25-2018), NorthMNSledder (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 PM
Thanked 1,113 Times in 635 Posts
SRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond repute

Ive had both. The deck is GREAT for local riding and short day trips. The trailer is better for trips.

Its nice to be able to haul 2 sleds and not pull a trailer to the trail head. Plus as mentioned the chain law on mountain passes, AND some passes (Teton) dont allow trailer traffic at all in the winter.

Making a multi-day trip... the trailer is still better to store gear, work on sleds, dry stuff out (if you have heat).

Depending on your truck/trailer set-up you could see no mileage gain, or as much as 4-5mpg. When I pull my 24ftx8.5 enclosed I get 9 mpg, with my deck I could get 14 mpg.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SRXSRULE For This Useful Post:
ggcustoms (02-22-2018), NorthMNSledder (02-22-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Currently: Doing a snow dance!
dboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond reputedboe03 has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting and thanks for the write up. Must admit that I've been jealous of the sled deck owners as I've always had the idea that you could really just haul the mail with those. Now maybe that wasn't the correct thinking!

The Following User Says Thank You to dboe03 For This Useful Post:
Pro-8250 (03-02-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Currently: The person Elky looks up too.
Thanked 3,837 Times in 2,153 Posts
NorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboe03 View Post
Very interesting and thanks for the write up. Must admit that I've been jealous of the sled deck owners as I've always had the idea that you could really just haul the mail with those. Now maybe that wasn't the correct thinking!
This was my same exact thinking 1 year ago.......

Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Currently: scott is gutless
Blu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond reputeBlu Du has a reputation beyond repute

I love my deck but than again its a truckboss. put 2 36" summits up on top and push the sides in tight and its hardly wider than the truck. I drive 85 in nd and 90 in montana. but don't buy one to save on fuel unless you keep the speed down

Old 03-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Currently: Riding every chance I get
Basic Member
GlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRXSRULE View Post
Ive had both. The deck is GREAT for local riding and short day trips. The trailer is better for trips.

Its nice to be able to haul 2 sleds and not pull a trailer to the trail head. Plus as mentioned the chain law on mountain passes, AND some passes (Teton) dont allow trailer traffic at all in the winter.

Making a multi-day trip... the trailer is still better to store gear, work on sleds, dry stuff out (if you have heat).

Depending on your truck/trailer set-up you could see no mileage gain, or as much as 4-5mpg. When I pull my 24ftx8.5 enclosed I get 9 mpg, with my deck I could get 14 mpg.
Totally agree. I have not owned a deck but I have several buddies with them. I'm not really a fan myself. Its a pain in the butt to load up and throw covers on.

I like an enclosed trailer and little propane heater a lot better myself.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Currently: ..current
Goinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond repute

I have a flatbed for hauling sleds, keeps them lower for less drag and lower center of gravity. My truck takes a fuel economy hit with two sleds but it is no where near the hit for towing. This is with a half ton gasser. I don't think I'll ever have a standard box pickup again.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Currently: Too many sleds, not enough time
Basic Member
MrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond reputeMrIQR has a reputation beyond repute
The Following User Says Thank You to MrIQR For This Useful Post:
Pro-8250 (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Currently: Patiently waiting for my '19
Thanked 1,024 Times in 610 Posts
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 03-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Currently: Have fun while you can
Thanked 1,138 Times in 667 Posts
Pro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-06-2018, 01:56 AM
Basic Member
AZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Currently: boondocker axys is ripping!! Love it
Thanked 1,116 Times in 528 Posts
M8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond reputeM8Chris has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-17-2018, 12:09 AM
Currently: Alpha Hawk!
Thanked 1,098 Times in 541 Posts
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register