• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 ECU 12

S
Feb 19, 2017
Sled died as I was driving it. Got it to start back up but idled really low and died with gas. Got it towed back to the house and it fired right up and idled normal for like 2 mins and then idled low and would die with gas. ECU 12 was flashing. Ohm out ignition coils or go after the stator?

Thanks!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Since it's throwing the 12 code I'd start with the coils, check the wiring and connectors to them carefully. You running a control box?

Last edited:
S
Feb 19, 2017
I guess my question is why would the fuel pump throw a ecu 12 code? Yeah, i am gonna go through the coils and the harness. Do you know if the ground underneath the coolant bottle is the main ground or is there another one floating around? Also, no control box.

Thanks

Last edited:
S
Feb 19, 2017
Ohmed out all the coils and they are .2 and .3 ohms for the primary circuit in the ignition coils. The secondary circuit checks out fine at 5.8k ohms. Spark plug boots all ohm out within spec.

Last edited:
S
Feb 19, 2017
Pulled out wiring harness and looked for shorts/chaffed wires in the wires going from the coil connections to the ecu. nothing found. resistance is .1 and .2 ohms on wires for mag and pto coils. Gonna put it back together and see if I can get it to fail again and throw the ecu 12 code.

Last edited:
S
Feb 19, 2017
Replaced all 4 of the coils and it fixed the problem. not sure which coil was causing the issue. I also replaced my ground that goes underneath the coolant bottle with better wire because it was starting to rub. It could have been part of the problem as well. she rips now.

Premium Features