• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtntk updated tune

djarvis

Premium Member
May 9, 2008
Canada
Was talking to the guys at Mtntk just before Christmas and they were working on an updated tune for the Axys which they thought they would release that week. Just wondering if they did actually send it out and whether it is helping with the hard starting issues or making any other differences?

djarvis

Premium Member
May 9, 2008
Canada
I should add to this a bit. This is in regards to the kits on the 16-17 Axys. Just curious if guys are still running the tune from the original install or have you updated to a newer tune. It is suppose to help the issue of having to give it a bunch of throttle to start. I haven't really heard if the 18 kits have this issue or not?

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
A friend of mine got an updated tune that is way better then before. Starts without giving any throttle.

But its still abit rough(fat) on idle and low RPMs. So they need some more fine tuning there.

Though i dont see the problem of fixing this. Shouldnt be that big of a job to finetune the last bit for them.
But what do i know. Maybe is really hard to get it right when the injectors is placed where they are.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I got the new tune started great for 6 rides the. Today drove to higher elevation staging area and no start drove back down the road. Fire on first pull. Left it idling on back of truck and as I climbed up the road it died. Got it fired up and ran without issue all day. I noticed less power with the new tune. Ver 2 tune was freaking nuts on 5lbs boost when it would start. Ver 3 tune Seems tamer and more linear power.

Edit: I believe the injector placement is a huge part of this issue. It gets embarrassing when buddies sibler kit on identical sled runs crisper starts perfect and it was cheaper. I will say the power of ver 2 tune 5lbs was similiar to his setup at 7lbs. Keep in mind i switched to standalone water to air.

Last edited:
S
Oct 5, 2012
Bozeman MT
Tune

I'm going to offer up a day and see if I can get Shawn to meet me in Island Park ID and do some tuning on my sled. If it's just a matter of taking the timeto make some small tweaks and male some pulls I'll take a day off and help out.

What clutching are you guys running on your mtntk turbo axys and how is belt life/heat?

R
Mar 21, 2014
Niagara Falls, NY
I just got back from Cooke City after a week of riding on the new tune. I agree that it is to fat down low. I encountered a rich bog between 4000 and 6000 rpms. I also noticed the sled did start easier but cut out several times if left to idle on its own. I’m running 10 #’s with the Indy specialties turbo clutch kit.

Last edited:
S
Nov 7, 2015
Rigby, Idaho
I just got back from Cooke City after a week of riding on the new tune. I agree that it is to fat down low. I encountered a rich bog between 4000 and 6000 rpms. I also noticed the sled did start easier but cut out several times if left to idle on its own. I’m running 10 #’s with the Indy specialties turbo clutch kit.

I am having the EXACT same issue with my 15' on the new tune. High elevation idle is hit or miss and on full throttle pulls with quick stabs immediately after it falls flat on its face. I nearly lost my sled into some trees on a steep sidehill when it cut out and completely died.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I'm going to offer up a day and see if I can get Shawn to meet me in Island Park ID and do some tuning on my sled. If it's just a matter of taking the timeto make some small tweaks and male some pulls I'll take a day off and help out.

What clutching are you guys running on your mtntk turbo axys and how is belt life/heat?

TRS clutching, ZRP cover, balanced clutches 8#'s boost. Wet and heavy snow I got my first 200miles out of my first belt. Clutches do get hot for sure, need to check my alignment. My turbo pro was easy 5-600 miles on dayco xtx's

djarvis

Premium Member
May 9, 2008
Canada
Also running TRS setup at around 8 - 9 #'s boost. Just over 300 miles on belt and it looks great. This setup works very well! Clutches run warm after several long pulls but nothing like they did with the original mtntk setup. So as far as the updated tune goes - is a guy further ahead to keep the last tune and just give it some throttle to start because I really haven't had any other issues with it??

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Also running TRS setup at around 8 - 9 #'s boost. Just over 300 miles on belt and it looks great. This setup works very well! Clutches run warm after several long pulls but nothing like they did with the original mtntk setup. So as far as the updated tune goes - is a guy further ahead to keep the last tune and just give it some throttle to start because I really haven't had any other issues with it??

With ver2 tune my sled was not useable at all, ver 3 tune once it starts its good for rest of day

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
A friend of mine got an updated tune that is way better then before. Starts without giving any throttle.

But its still abit rough(fat) on idle and low RPMs. So they need some more fine tuning there.

Though i dont see the problem of fixing this. Shouldnt be that big of a job to finetune the last bit for them.
But what do i know. Maybe is really hard to get it right when the injectors is placed where they are.

I did the install on a 2018 for a friend. It sure is a clean kit and install, but I do have some doubts about the injector placment. Sure they have their reason, helps cooling reeds and bottom end, and for ease of design and install I belive they made a compromize when they installed the injectors where they are.
I noticed that it is fat off idle and low speed. I belive that spraying fuel onto closed trottleblades, let fuel form dropplets on the trottle blades and housing, and when they are opend, you get a inrush of fuel that has contaminated upstream the trottlebodies. For drivability I think it is a back draw, but for the longvitity of the engine I think it is wise to relocate. Maybe the perfekt spot would have been in between trottle bodies and reeds.

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Yes but that doesnt explain why my kit ran great last year. Only thing to complain on was the hard start (4 pulls). But it never once had this problem with running fat on idle and low rpms.

The longer the sled stands on idle after a cooldown the fatter it runs. If running the sled a couple of minutes on idle then it could take up to 10 second before it cleans itself up and starts to run great.

That problem never existed last year.

So i think its just a matter of leaning it out enough on idle/low rpm.

R
Mar 21, 2014
Niagara Falls, NY
I called and spoke with MTNTK about my concerns on the new tune! I’d almost prefer to deal with extra pulls to start the sled. I called last week and still have not heard anything back. They are aware of the issue as numerous people have called with the same complaints. Hopefully they can figure this out quickly.

S
Oct 5, 2012
Bozeman MT
Tune

16 kit with new tune. Indy clutching. 7-8#. Just picked the sled up from Mtntk last week after getting the fix kit installed. Feels very fat in idle and low end rpm/Just before boost. Idles low to where headlight flickers on and off. I've only got 50 miles on the new top end and only 1.3 tanks of fuel. Imma run another tank through this week and see if it leans out some. Hoping the extra oil in the first tank may be adding to the issue. Also took 15 pulls to get it started twice tonight, 1 time sitting in 50 degree shop and about 3 hours later sitting outside in 32 degree weather, my fuel is low(on res, but not out by any means). I HOPE that does not continue.

chrisco

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2008
Stony Plain Alberta
The tune for the 18 is completely different than the 17 and 16. Shawn does have the new tune done that we rode on the 17 and its good.

S
Oct 5, 2012
Bozeman MT
Any updates?

I've got about 150 miles on my sled now with the most recent tune and it still takes 15-20 pulls to get it started after sitting overnight in my 55 degree shop. Anyone else?

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I have 3 days on the latest 33 tune. Starts 4-5 pulls cold -20 celicius to 15 Celsius in my shop.
Starts pretty much first pull hot every time.
I like this tune runs nice and clean, have checked plugs after 3 rides they look good.
I had to change my TPS, had been checking it and the voltage was changing after every ride. Wouldn’t start very good, idle proper, or go into reverse.
Hope yours get fixed up.

Premium Features