For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: AXYS 2016 AXYS chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Currently: Back in the mountains
Thanked 1,133 Times in 425 Posts
Murph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond repute
Default E-VES cable causing low RPM in Axys chassis (at any mileage)

There have been many threads on RPM fade/ low rpm on the Axys chassis both here and on other sites/ forums.

This cause/ effect was eluded to by SheetmetalFab in another thread but I wanted to start another thread in the hopes that it could help someone who was searching to find a solution sooner and easier.

The E-VES system has multiple components which translates to multiple possible points of failure. These components include:

ECU
PWM converter
E-VES Actuator
Relays
E-VES cable
wire harness
wire harness connections

Having a problem in any of these components can adversely affect performance-- typically manifested in peak rpm not being achieved. The service manual will lead you to believe that a code will be thrown for any E-VES malfunction offering quick diagnosis and solution. This is not the case.

A customer brought in a 2016 Turbo SKS with 2000 miles, complaining that the sled would only reach 7600 rpm. He mentioned that it had thrown a code (position not achieved) but that the code was not currently active. I elevated the rear of the sled and, after warming it up, opened the throttle to see what we could achieve rpm wise and whether or not it would throw a code. With no load, we could spin the motor up to 7600, no code thrown, and could watch the E-VES actuator move through the three positions.

When I removed the cable from the actuator, to do the service manual "push-pull" test for resistance and travel distance, the cable came out-- it was broken. This made me think about the E-VES system.

The system is set up where the ECU compares commanded position versus achieved position by comparing the hall effect sensor in the actuator versus voltage values at a given position. The problem with this system is that they are upstream of the actual exhaust valves and also the cable. Without a limiter switch on the actual exhaust valve or the tie-bar, there is no real way for the ECU to know if the intended valve position has been achieved.

There is a cable travel specification--full-in to full-out-- of 16-18mm.

If the cable has stretched, the exhaust valve may not fully open--leaving the exhaust port shrouded-- reducing peak rpm.

What can make this difficult to diagnose is that the ECU may not throw a code if the actuator hall effect sensor reaches it's intended position and the voltages correspond because they are upstream of the actual valves. This customer SKS did not throw a code and yet the cable was broken meaning the valves weren't opening at all.

How many Axys motors with low rpm issues have had the cable travel distance inspected? Are dealers doing this or are they simply using Digital Wrench to perform an E-VES re-learn without physically checking the travel distance?

I may add the cable to the list of components that I swap out at a specified interval (like motor rubber isolators) versus suffering cable stretch/ break performance issues.

Speedcell Technologies-- Founding Member

Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue-snowmobile team

12 out of 12 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
14RMK144 (11-29-2017), adamg (04-15-2017), AKFULLTHROTTLE (04-13-2017), b-litt (11-29-2017), Beavis (04-14-2017), Coldestwinter1 (11-28-2017), CSV (04-13-2017), Dartos (04-13-2017), DBRK (04-12-2017), dragonfire (04-14-2017), edgexcsp (04-13-2017), flying frenchman (04-13-2017), FrequentFlyer (04-13-2017), Jaynelson (11-30-2017), Jona$ (11-23-2017), justinkredible56 (11-28-2017), LoudHandle (11-22-2017), M8Chris (04-16-2017), Madtown (12-30-2017), MDEVO (04-14-2017), Merlin (04-13-2017), mountainhorse (04-13-2017), Nooby (04-13-2017), Norway (04-13-2017), Oinakka (04-12-2017), Overthehood (04-13-2017), pablosescape (04-13-2017), prorideupper800 (08-28-2018), Reg2view (04-13-2017), rp2000r (11-30-2017), Sheetmetalfab (04-12-2017), Snowbird11 (04-12-2017), sno_mo_racer (04-15-2017), Solby (04-13-2017), Teth-Air (04-13-2017), Tewstroke (12-31-2017), TRS (04-12-2017), wellfed777 (04-12-2017), west dreams (04-13-2017), Wheel House Motorsports (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Currently: Braaaaap
Davajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond reputeDavajn has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting find!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 04-13-2017, 01:40 AM
Currently: 2017 SBA 800
Basic Member
edgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond reputeedgexcsp has a reputation beyond repute

The whole system is a bit short sighted... We call this sort of thing "value engineering" where I work.

The Following User Says Thank You to edgexcsp For This Useful Post:
Madtown (12-30-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:23 AM
Currently: CONTEMPLATING: "Laughter is gods hand on a troubled world.".
Thanked 9,310 Times in 4,120 Posts
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute

MURPH...thank you for taking the time to put up this excellent thread !!

Old 04-13-2017, 02:25 AM
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Murph,

A couple of q's if you have the time...

Do you have the part number(s) for those cables?

What kind of cost each?

Can they be lubed?

How much of a PITA is it to change the cable?

Might be good for some people to have an extra in the trailer.

Signature:

The Following User Says Thank You to mountainhorse For This Useful Post:
west dreams (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Murph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhorse View Post
Murph,

A couple of q's if you have the time...

Do you have the part number(s) for those cables?

What kind of cost each?

Can they be lubed?

How much of a PITA is it to change the cable?

Might be good for some people to have an extra in the trailer.
CABLE, EV VALVE, PUSH/PULL
7081870 $37 (Babbit's)

The cable could be lubed by removing the one end from the actuator arm.

To change cable, you need to remove E-VES assembly from cylinder. The problem lies in the fact that the service manual calls for a Digitial Wrench relearn after replacing the cable. When I receive the cable, for the previously mentioned customer SKS, I am going to see if it is possible to measure and replicate the cable attachment on the tie bar and see if it can be replaced without the relearn procedure.

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to manually enter a relearn code through a series of control inputs-- similar to how you can manually prime the oil pump without Digital Wrench.

My question is whether or not a BullyDog GT would have the capability to perform the E-VES re-learn?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (04-14-2017), Teth-Air (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
CSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant futureCSV has a brilliant future

So is this cable like a throttle cable, bike shifter cable, etc? I haven't really looked at mine yet. When the EV get gummed up, is it too much resistance for the cable so it stretches? Can you prestrech the cables like on a bicycle? Would cleaning EV more often, help prevent this?

Old 04-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Currently: Loving my BMP 860
Thanked 1,538 Times in 906 Posts
richracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I got some pictures of my spare exhaust valves.

This the underside of the valves

The nut to the right is what you loosen to remove the outer housing - there is no adjustment to this, loosen enough to remove the housing and tighten snug when putting it back together. The nut inside the housing is fixed.

This is the nut that must be removed to R&R the cable. After looking a little closer to the shaft this nut screws onto, it doesn't look like there's any kind of adjustment. The back side looks to be another fixed nut, so you would just tighten this nut down snug.

The actuator end. The nut to the left is not adjustable, the nut to the right just holds the cable to the actuator bracket.

Last edited by richracer1; 04-13-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Add pictures

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to richracer1 For This Useful Post:
b-litt (11-29-2017), flying frenchman (04-13-2017), mountainhorse (11-22-2017), wellfed777 (11-28-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 03:05 PM
richracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I installed a completely new exhaust valve setup when I did the BMP 860 mod last summer. As peace of mind, I had the dealer do the relearn, everything was within spec. Everything but the outer housing comes assembled from Polaris when you buy the kit.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richracer1 View Post
FWIW, I installed a completely new exhaust valve setup when I did the BMP 860 mod last summer. As peace of mind, I had the dealer do the relearn, everything was within spec. Everything but the outer housing comes assembled from Polaris when you buy the kit.
Rich,

I'm curious what you mean by the bold statement, when you perform a E-VES relearn in Digital Wrench it goes through the procedure of opening and closing valves while turning the MFD on and off-- it never states any values or otherwise notifies the operator of any changes. It basically just says when it is finished.

You have a BullyDog GT on your BMP 860, correct? Does the BullyDog give you the ability to observe E-VES funtions or perform the re-learn?

Thanks,
Murph

Old 04-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 04-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Currently: is it winter yet?
Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,370 Posts
Wheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-14-2017, 12:13 AM
Basic Member
ogrfre01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register

Old 04-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Basic Member
Jreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond reputeJreng87 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 11-28-2017, 01:17 PM
HECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-28-2017, 10:21 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (12-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 11:58 AM
HECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond reputeHECKS has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Thanked 2,501 Times in 991 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-30-2017, 09:10 PM
Basic Member
Wyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond reputeWyomingbbq has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 08-27-2018, 06:41 PM
Currently: easing into Winter......
Sage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond reputeSage Crusher has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-30-2018, 12:28 AM
Currently: Living the dream
owenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond reputeowenbstory has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register