For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Member Sled Builds A forum for building a project or mod sled.... Not just your common "Mods", but full on sled build projects.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 11:24 PM
Currently: I'd rather snowshoe than be caught on a SKIDOO! I'm not feminine / gay enough to ride SkiDoo either.
Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,116 Posts
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute
Default PRO RMK build my way

I recently picked up a MY '14 PRO Ride RMK 155" as the previous owner's insurance company totaled it out due to what looks to be the stock can getting so hot it melted a lot of stuff on the right hand side. Side Panel and fender, coolant hose, noticed the starter bendix is quite worn so I'm assuming it at some point was trying to run and shaved 1/8"-3/16" off of the bendix gear. The CF over structure has a crack most of the way around about an inch above the lower right lug where they always seem to break (even though the owner has never rolled the sled, nor hit anything; the original owner used the sled exclusively for getting up our local mountains in order to snowboard / ski back down). Recoil rope is melted off. Coolant hoses, and can mounting rubbers are scorched as well.

The 800 caught both rings on the exhaust port on the MAG cylinder so it will get sent to INDY DAN to work his magic with a long rod. Meanwhile I'll put in a 600 for her to learn with.

I'm building it for my 12 year old daughter.

***Update***; I ended up selling the chassis (as this winter, jobs at work have been a little on the lean side). I have enough parts to build an Aluminum version of that I'd hoped would eventually become a full Carbon chassis. I'll be doing very close to the full extent of the light weight mods I've hinted at over the years. I will be doing my drop and roll and 9 tooth drivers this time around, and will be documenting the weight loss compared to stock and what I did to the stock and / or aftermarket parts to further lighten them.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to LoudHandle For This Useful Post:
snoballssnoglory (06-24-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Currently: I'd rather snowshoe than be caught on a SKIDOO! I'm not feminine / gay enough to ride SkiDoo either.
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Steering post; stock verses ALT's TI post and '10 Rush bushings

Stock Flat Top Post and all the stock mounting hardware; 1362 Grams Total weight

Alt Imp's TI flat top post, PMS's Handlebar Clamp with TI fasteners, 2010 style Rush Post mounts with TI fasteners; 697 Grams Total weight

Saved 665 Grams, nearly half the weight of stock. I may lighten the handlebar clamps more as they are still as delivered and over kill.

**Note** to use the MY '10 Rush bushings you need to use the stock aluminum shim under the bushings to get the correct offset for the steering stops to function and retain full travel.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:57 AM
Default Front Structure; My Lightening of the lugs and inserts and TI tube upgrade

Stock (as removed) Faux Carbon Fiber Front Structure; 1115 Grams

Stock Steel Fasteners; 232 Grams

So the stock Faux Carbon Fiber Front Structure assembly weight is; 1347 Grams

Stock Aluminum cross tube with Titanium down tubes, Lightened lugs; 1275 Grams

This is the one that I'll use on her sled

My choice of Titanium (structural) and aluminum (coil and solenoid) fasteners; 101 Grams The shouldered Titanium bolts are for the front bumper and the nut is for the ground lugs. I upsized the bolts to 8mm so I could tap the lug and save a nut. Plus the use of a shoulder bolt will make more sense when I get to the bumper post.

So the Total weight of the front structure assembly I'll use on her sled is; 1376 Grams
So while I did not save any weight on this version, I can live with the 29 Gram gain for the piece of mind, knowing it is Bomber and will last forever.

While were at it; here is what I use on my sleds with the Faux Carbon Fiber Cross tube retained as it sees much less stress than the down tubes due to the design of the Polaris Bulkhead, sure the shock expert some compression force onto the tube but the majority is directed upwards and absorbed by the bulkhead itself, even under sever bottoming. Also I did not want to chance melting the plastic coil and solenoid mounts releasing the glue. After buying most of the donor stock parts new (As my offer to buy damaged front structures went largely unanswered). The Titanium tube is thinner walled than the Faux Carbon Fiber so the curved aluminum washers you see on the scale are shims to make up the difference. You'll notice I ported the needless weight out of the cast aluminum tube inserts as well.

Stock Carbon cross tube with Titanium down tubes, Lightened Lugs; 1141 Grams

So with my same fasteners of choice this version weighs; 1242 Grams
Saves 105 Grams over stock and no worries of the fragility of the Faux Carbon Fiber

***NOTE*** I'll update this post soon, as I have my answer to breaking the cast bumper tabs. I built a jig to enable me to router an 1/8" step in the lug where it meets the bulkhead and I'll glue a teardrop on each side that I cut from 1/8" aluminum. That will make the bumper mount a double shear instead of a single shear joint and enable me to do some light logging without worries.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Currently: Not set.
volcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thread.

Any thoughts on a 660 instead of the 800?

Old 01-15-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano buster View Post
Nice thread.

Any thoughts on a 660 instead of the 800?
As stated in the first post, it will get a 600 (low mile, take out '13). The 800 will go to Indy Dan for the Long Rod upgrade and will then go into another build. Even the 600 is overkill for her as she last rode a stock 120.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:30 PM
volcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I jumped to the conclusion that the 800 was going back in it for her.

The 660 is pretty fun though.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:53 AM

I concur; I've always been fond of the 600 and all of it's variations. 660, 685, 727, 797. Back to the next installment.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:07 AM
Default Steering Geometry Changes and ALT's TI mid-post upgrade

I'm going to start by briefly touching on what I feel is a very beneficial geometry change to the PRO Ride RMK's

This photo shows the primary difference between the Rush mid-shaft (Left) and the RMK mid-shaft (Right). As I've posted elsewhere on SW; by moving the tie rod end inboard to the Rush position or trading to the Rush Mid-Post, you go from a 1:1 steering ratio to a 0.75:1 steering ratio. Or in other words; by turning the handlebars 45 degrees, equals 60 degrees of ski movement. The advantage to this is you don't have the bar end in your crotch when doing tight turns or hard counter steering. And in my opinion the steering effort is so close to the same it is negligible. If you trail ride a lot, it may not be for you, but it's ultimately no harder than the rush sleds geometry wise.

FWIW; The Rush hole is exactly 1" inboard from the RMK hole. For those wanting to modify the stock part. I have not modified the 3 ALT's mid-posts I have yet but will be quite soon.

P.S. All these stock parts are for sale if you want or need something, PM me. I've acquired a lot of stock parts for R&D over the last 5 years or so and they need to go now. So I can start on the AXYS version.

Stock PRO Ride RMK style post; 777 Grams

Stock steering bushing with aluminum strap and steel fasteners; 148 Grams

The stock mid-shaft bearing, stud, nut, and snap ring; 62 Grams

So the stock mid-shaft and fasteners; 987 Grams

ALT's TI steering mid-shaft with stock plastic cap; 385 Grams

Rush 2010 style steering bushing and aluminum extrusion mount with current stock aluminum strap for spacing and my choice of Titanium fasteners; 77
Grams

Also worthy of mention; I had to router a slight radius to the Rush bushing to clear the gusset weld on the ALT TI mid-post at the top. Not a big deal just bolted two of them back to back and did a few doughnuts on my router table with a piloted 3/16" Radius round over bit.

My light weight fastener of choice; Ceramic Hybrid bearing, modified 10mm Titanium V-brake stud, 2 large aluminum drilled 6mm washers, 2 10mm aluminum crush washers (which I also use to seal the brake banjo fittings), 2 6mm x 10mm Titanium Torx drive button head screws, snap ring; 32 Grams

So the ALT TI mid-post with my choice of fasteners is; 494 Grams

A savings of 493 Grams or HALF the weight of stock

From left to right, my renditions of the lower bearing stud; stock, Aluminum (decided not worth chancing a aluminum fastener shearing with a tree hit and rendering the sled unridable), 10mm TI bolt with thin TI nut for retainer/ spacer, Final choice- The modified TI 10mm V-brake stud

This pic shows the modification to the Titanium V-brake stud. Left; Titanium 10mm V-brake stud, Center; I part the excess off in the lathe and face and chamfer the end of the DD that fits thru the bulkhead for the lower fastener of the mid-shaft, Right is the waste or parted piece

An additional note; all the PRO Ride mid-posts I've had my hands on can benefit from a little shimming. I use one or two of the aluminum 10mm sealing washers to space the mid-post up (placed between the bearing stud and the bulkhead) so that it is tight to the upper bushing shoulder and removes all vertical play.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 AM
Default Stock verse ALT's TI Steering Idler

Stock steel Idler with stock bearings, aluminum bearing spacer, and stock 12 to 10mm reducing bushings, and the stock steel fasteners; 395 Grams

ALT's Titanium Idler with Ceramic Hybrid bearings, 12mm OD x 10mm ID Titanium tube bearing spacer between the stock 12mm to 10mm reducing bushings to take the bolt crush load, I sourced a shorter TI bolt as the one ALT provided was too long, IMO; 189 Grams

The shorter replacement bolt for the long one provided by ALT IMP; 40 Grams
Saves 206 Grams

I'm still playing with / planning an even lighter fastener setup. I've run the gauntlet of fasteners ideas with this side as well, still looking for the coup de gras.

Here is a little on this weeks evolution of the Steering Idler fastener;

Steering Idler; Stock Bearings, reducers, spacer, and stock steel fasteners; 137 Grams

Steering Idler; Stock Bearings, reducers, Titanium spacer / fastener combo; 64 Grams

Steering Idler; Hybrid Ceramic Bearings, reducers, Titanium spacer / fastener combo; 61 Grams

These are the two Titanium screws that I weighed the Updated Idler hardware with; 8 Grams

These are what I actually installed the steering idler with (as they matched the screw I used for the Mid-post; T30 drive); 7 Grams

The Final weight of the ALT IMP Steering Idler with my final rendition of TI Hardware with Drilled Aluminum washers. Fasteners are; 2 TI M6x10mm T30 drive screws, 2 drilled Aluminum M6 flat washers, 2 TI M10 V-Brake studs shortened ~0.5mm and connected top to top with a TI M6x25mm stud, Stock 12mm to 10mm reducers were reused with Ceramic Hybrid Bearings; 161 Grams

So the ALT IMP TI Idler with my final choice of fasteners saved 234 Grams!

Additionally; I wonder if the extruded aluminum AXYS idler is the same actual / functional dimensions and what it might weigh as it runs bushings (no bearings).

Old 01-16-2017, 05:12 AM
Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 01-23-2017, 01:54 AM
SNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-23-2017, 02:06 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-23-2017, 02:25 AM
SNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond reputeSNWMBL has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to SNWMBL For This Useful Post:
alt (02-02-2018)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:58 AM
sportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond reputesportsterdanne has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-25-2017, 12:27 AM
Currently: Getting the R6 snowbike ready......
Thanked 1,408 Times in 881 Posts
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-06-2017, 02:44 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-11-2017, 08:37 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-11-2017, 09:47 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Currently: Nothing
ak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Currently: Nothing
ak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-13-2017, 05:53 PM
Currently: on another forum
Basic Member
icr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to icr For This Useful Post:
omernikski (04-15-2017)