For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
TreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Camso 280 track on XM

So I am running the new lightweight 280 track in 174 length on my t3 174 sled.

When I put the track on I felt like it just didn't build ground speed in the soft snow very well. But I figured it just needed to break it. It pulled like an animal in a track or on a road. And on one day in late October it was June type snow...sopping wet, setup. Pulled good then too.

I now have 400 miles with the track. It just feels like it won't push the sled to any ground speed in soft snow. With my old t3 track, when I hit the throttle it would trench some but the skis would come up and the sled would head forward. After I was on the throttle for a brief period of time the sled would be planing and building speed. With the 280 the motor bellows and strains but it won't lift out of its trench. It now acts like a boat that wont plane. track speed is down on a typical climb from the old t3 track. I am chaulking that up to trenching deeper at any given point in the hill. You have to let off and coax it up on the snow...which can't be done when the sled is really having to work.

To get the sled to have any fun factor I had to loosen the limiter 2 notches from where I was running it with the t3 track. Or the skis were just planted, it would not loft the skis, just settle the rear of the sled.

It's strange to explain, but at any given point with the 280 track on the sled, I feel like the rear of the sled is deeper in the snow.

Skid is in good working order. I have tried a couple different clutch setups and a couple different gearing packages.

What's the deal? Anyone else having any issues with it? Or I am all alone..

Thanks

Jake

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Clutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond reputeClutched Films has a reputation beyond repute
Default 280

From the sounds of it you traveled back in time. 2007 ski-doo summit XRS stiffer paddle worked great in spring snow but would get beat in the powder by the 07 800 non x package with the older 06 summit x track. I personally have never ran or seen the 280 but from what your describing paddles are just a bit to stiff. Put the stock track back on and maybe talk to someone about porting the track to lose some weight.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Currently: Tinker till I die
tinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeThrasher View Post

When I put the track on I felt like it just didn't build ground speed in the soft snow very well. But I figured it just needed to break it. It pulled like an animal in a track or on a road. And on one day in late October it was June type snow...sopping wet, setup. Pulled good then too.

I now have 400 miles with the track. It just feels like it won't push the sled to any ground speed in soft snow. With my old t3 track, when I hit the throttle it would trench some but the skis would come up and the sled would head forward. After I was on the throttle for a brief period of time the sled would be planing and building speed. With the 280 the motor bellows and strains but it won't lift out of its trench. It now acts like a boat that wont plane. track speed is down on a typical climb from the old t3 track. I am chaulking that up to trenching deeper at any given point in the hill. You have to let off and coax it up on the snow...which can't be done when the sled is really having to work.

To get the sled to have any fun factor I had to loosen the limiter 2 notches from where I was running it with the t3 track. Or the skis were just planted, it would not loft the skis, just settle the rear of the sled.

It's strange to explain, but at any given point with the 280 track on the sled, I feel like the rear of the sled is deeper in the snow.

Skid is in good working order. I have tried a couple different clutch setups and a couple different gearing packages.

Thanks

Jake
I had the same track on my 15 t-3 163, I had the same issue with it so I took it back off. It worked well at slow speed or on setup snow or in a track but in the powder it was a trenching sob, I'm running a power claw 3" now but snow has went to concrete so I can't tell if it's better but the cats I rode with were much better than my doo with the 280

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Currently: Resisting the urge to screw with people...
Thanked 1,130 Times in 588 Posts
Matte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 2014 T3 174. Rode a couple weeks ago in 3-4' of new snow here in the WA Cascades. I noticed exactly what you were talking about with the stock track. Pin it from slow speed and the sled trenches and stayed that way unless you backed off a little on the throttle and then the sled came right up on top of the snow. May be more of a sled characteristic than a track. Buddy made the same comment on his 850 165-3". A little throttle control goes a long way on the Doo.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Basic Member
TreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond reputeTreeThrasher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerjohnson View Post
I had the same track on my 15 t-3 163, I had the same issue with it so I took it back off. It worked well at slow speed or on setup snow or in a track but in the powder it was a trenching sob, I'm running a power claw 3" now but snow has went to concrete so I can't tell if it's better but the cats I rode with were much better than my doo with the 280
Ya anything that even looks soft....she's a trencher it seems.

Matte, I'm with you on the throttle control deal but I had 1800 miles on the sled with the stock track and never had the issues I'm having now..

We have had some strange snow here in the northwest and I was pretty well chalking my issues up to that until last weekend. Last weekend the 163 sleds had half the trench depth that my 174 did...that was the final straw.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:07 PM
tinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond reputetinkerjohnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ya anything that even looks soft....she's a trencher it seems.

Matte, I'm with you on the throttle control deal but I had 1800 miles on the sled with the stock track and never had the issues I'm having now..

We have had some strange snow here in the northwest and I was pretty well chalking my issues up to that until last weekend. Last weekend the 163 sleds had half the trench depth that my 174 did...that was the final straw.
Ya it's just not a good powder hill climbing track. It works well for the trees and sidehilling, places where your not under full power, but suffers in the deep soft snow. Seems to get too much traction or something. Maybe the the 3.5 pitch Tracks are better with less paddles but seems like most guys are seeing what saw with it.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Currently: ..current
Goinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerjohnson View Post
I'm loving the Cat track. I put one on my 154 XM this season and it's a monster in our snow. Initially it was a trenching SOB but I've tamed that with scissor relocate and cranking the torsions to 5. Now it's controlable but still playful if you step back a bit on the boards.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:43 PM
sledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond reputesledhead9825 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks

Jake
Thought I would chime in because it is a track thing not a brand thing. I bought the 280 X 174 for my turbo Axys. I had the exact same results as what your having. Took off the 280 and went to the 174x3 X3. Day and night difference. Ive said it on other threads. The 280 might be a great spring track but does NOT work in deep powder.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sledhead9825 For This Useful Post:
kanedog (10-04-2018), TheRedrooster (02-05-2018)
Old 02-26-2017, 01:18 AM
Basic Member

Jammed an x3.2 174 on it. Been on the sled 2 days now. Night and day difference. The 280 is not in the same league as the 3.2 in anything resembling soft snow.

The two days I have on the 3.2 are in settled powder. Not blower powder or waist deep or anything. Just nice snow in McCall. 3.2 is miles better than the 280

I would go so far as to say I was ripped off by camso on the 280 deal. Their early claims about that track are out and out BS, it does not perform as advertised. Remember all the claims of how well it's lifts on the snow? Right...

Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Currently: waiting for snow!!
lancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond reputelancelarue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tracks

To dig, grab and displace snow takes a lot of hp.
Sled will want to move forward AS LONG AS THERE IS A STIFF BASE UNDERNEATH. Otherwise, will just try and dig, which is what a lot of these track are designed for. I'm talking as in you can see it in the roost behind. Over the years it's been interesting in the different designs tried.
Here's what I've seen in my opinion for what it's worth:
The staggered pattern as in a Cat Power Claw etc. Conquest 280 offers unbelievable hookup AS LONG AS THERE IS A SOLID BASE UNDERNEATH, if there isn't, it's going down to try and find it! On the other end of the spectrum take a Polaris track / Skidoo track, name your poison which one, will typically try and PACK snow and still give lift in deep snow. This track design thing has been going round and round for years but some things don't change, that is types of snow!
The "digger tracks", for lack of a better description, all work on the same concept. In the right conditions they are unbelievable. I just don't want to be following one as you could hide a football team in the trench if it's deep snow with no reachable base.
Another thing, anyone who has done a lot of clutching will know what I mean when I say the "digger tracks" eat up a ton of horsepower trying to MOVE ALL the snow, instead of trying to pack it. This = lower track speeds in the pull.
In set up snow diggers are impressive, other than that, no thanks.
Old faithful :06' Summit X W/163" flex,2 wheels in rear, big drop & roll. 860R, 05' electronics, 46 mm Lectrons, custom airbox, lots of air, SLP single, Paragon, Mtn Tamer rear w/ floats all the away around,extra cooling tubes in tunnel, premix, 5 gal race tank, >

Trail sled: 07' 151" stock except 860 & paragon, other stuff

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancelarue For This Useful Post:
fynnigan (04-03-2017), kanedog (10-04-2018)
Old 02-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Basic Member
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 02-27-2017, 08:57 PM
Currently: Restoring my old race sleds....
Reeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reeb For This Useful Post:
raleigh111 (05-11-2017), TheRedrooster (03-24-2017), x-5 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Meyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond reputeMeyersnow has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Meyersnow For This Useful Post:
raleigh111 (05-11-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 08:52 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 05-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Basic Member
raleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond reputeraleigh111 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raleigh111 For This Useful Post:
Berkleyb (09-08-2017), Reeb (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Reeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Reeb For This Useful Post:
antepedersen (04-04-2018)
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Currently: Keyboard highmarking at its best.
jim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond reputejim has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 05-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Reeb For This Useful Post:
hobbes (05-13-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Currently: Danger Zone
hobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond reputehobbes has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hobbes For This Useful Post:
FEZ (05-15-2017), Reeb (05-12-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Currently: Mechanic for and Advisor to SHR
Basic Member
FEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FEZ For This Useful Post:
hobbes (05-16-2017), Reeb (05-15-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 AM
Currently: ..current
Goinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond reputeGoinboardin has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Goinboardin For This Useful Post:
Reeb (06-05-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 05:12 PM
TheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-07-2017, 07:49 PM
damx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-07-2017, 07:53 PM
TheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond reputeTheRedrooster has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-07-2017, 08:38 PM
damx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond reputedamx has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to damx For This Useful Post:
TheRedrooster (09-08-2017)