• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1997 Ultra 680 triple with PSI pipes

U
Jan 10, 2017
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1997 Ultra 680 triple in pretty good shape only 2000 miles on it. The sled came with the stock pipes installed and 270 main jets. I installed the aftermarket It also came with triple PSI pipes and 350 jets. It runs decent, but might need to be tuned and idle checked, seems to back fire a lot too even flame a bit.... now I love the sound of them, loudest pipes I've heard ever truly, but am I going to get the gains and worth to keep them on? Or is it just worth it to go back to the 270 jetting and stock pipe of the 3 into 1 and ride it stock? Looking through it it's seems to be a solid machine, but I don't wanna be playing with it or worrying about it all the time, but with those pipes the sound is unreal :D

Let me know what you guys think, or if you have had experience with these sleds and upgrading pipes ect... from what I read the 680 triple was a pretty solid fast machine, thanks guys!

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
No, the Ultra on triple pipes is transformed to mild mannered weakling to fire breathing monster. Seriously, like 25-30% hp increase.

Someone will have the setup info for the PSI pipes. My experience is only with the SLP triple pipes.

sled_guy

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
what elevation? is it an RMK? you might need richer pilot jets too like 30s, but mine never made much difference in how much i could let the air screws out- only about 1/2 turn. but thats my SLPs. stock pipe is better for slower riding for sure. but the top end is wicked! mid range powerband will leave new sleds in the dust. 97 was the best year, those bottom ends are solid for sure.
my biggest advise is if you ride it off-trail, leave the stock helix in it. if you lake race/trail ride it go with the 42/34 or whatever fancy helix. keep the clutches cleaned, aligned, and a good belt. and throttle slides all in synch.
stock intake doesnt work in over hood pow, that becomes more an issue with the pipes as the motor needs more air than stock.
And SLP can still sell you a torque arm for these, its a must with pipes, ive had two of these sleds and both ate belts until i put one on.

U
Jan 10, 2017
Thanks for the input guys, I just love the sound and how loud those triple pipes are, plus the over all look when opening the hood. I'm sure if they are on, tuned and jetted right the sled will be a monster.

For the most part I ride side highways, trails, at buddy's houses, ect.. I wanted a solid cheap sled and from what I heard these 680 triples can be that easy! From what I know it's just a 1997 Ultra 680 triple Indy,

I want a sled I can have fun with, keep up in the big boys here and here, but most important since it's an older sled be renounce so my buddy's with new sleds don't have to worry about mine having problems! Now they said if you can't go fast then be loud ;) haha

Premium Features