• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 SnoWest "ULTIMATE" Project Trailer #3,

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So the last trailer has been retired and we spent the summer discussing what we could do to make our 3rd project trailer for the 2017 season even better. Like the season before we kept a clipboard and wrote down comments about what worked and what we wished we had, and then tallied it all up and fired it off to Mirage at the end of the season. They spent the summer digesting it and just let me know last week that the new trailer is ready to be laid up and manufactured.

To get this new thread up and running, let me share with you the comments I sent to Mirage on June 22nd of this year. These were the top 30 comments that I extracted from our Notebooks and passed along to the Mirage Design Team who will be working on the 3rd prototype.

Please remember, the whole point of this trailer is to TEST out new feature and concepts to see if they work in the real world. Mirage is doing their very best to build a better and better trailer each season based on the REAL WORLD FIRST HAND comments of SnoWest, its members, and other Mirage Trailer Owners.

====

Here are my notes from last season.
Some are from me, many are from others that rode with me.
Several of these appear over and over again in my notebook from the year from both myself and my riders.

I hope these comments are of value to you sir. It has been a real pleasure to allowed to work with you and your company thus far.

The hanger hooks that we installed on the ceiling need to move away from the wall and a little bit more toward the center line of the trailer so that Jackets and Bibs do NOT make contact with WET MUDDY boots on the boot dryer.

The factory glides that are installed on top of the wheel wells need to come inward towards the center of the trailer more. Given the keel design of all modern skies, there are none that could ever put the Skag anywhere near the wall side of the slide, but all of them can drag along the very narrow section of the exposed metal portion of the Wheel Well that is left uncovered.

Add a Glove Dryer Rack inside of the large Hot Box. Right now we just pile everyone's gloves in the hot box along with the helmets, and they all get dry if we run the heater long enough, but a separate rack would speed things up ALOT!

The hooks we installed beneath the dryer box need to be Raised up higher to allow better clearance for the sleds, we found we were frequently hitting anything that was left hanging on them while we were loading or unloading the sleds..

Add Helmet Hangers of some sort across the back of the hot box. Like the glove rack mentioned above, if there were some HOOKS on the inside of the hot box we could lift the helmets UP in the box making more room for other "stuff" and getting better ventilation to dry them out at the same time!

Route some heat through the primary Hot Box into the 2nd storage box to make it a Hot Box as well. With 5 riders there is a TON of wet gear to be dried every day, and the main Hot Box was ALWAYS packed full!

MORE SHELF RACKS.
Honestly, I don't think it is possible to have TOO MUCH SHELF SPACE. That rack gets used 100% of the time and its always FULL.

Not sure if this is possible or not, But. It would be really nice if the fold down couch mounting point was NOT over the wheel well. Try though I may, I have managed to hit that thing time and time again. This happened on the first trailer and on the 2nd trailer. Maybe use a mounting PLATE that spans two spars to better stabilize the mount against the wall of the trailer and prevent it from so easily hit??

If the couches get separated from each other, install a fold up bench in between them with a couple USB ports so people can sit down and place their electronics right next to them while plugged into the wall for charging. Pretty much 100% of the time anyone came into the trailer from a ride the first thing they did was PLUG IN their Radio/Video/Phone.

The bottom protective clothing on the couches are getting scratched by the spindles of the sleds as they pass in front of the couch going over the wheel wells. Not a clue how to solve this problem, but it would increase the value of the trailer over the years if this could be better protected.

Add another fold up shelf to the rear of the 2nd couch. End of the ride, sleds get parked outside of the trailer, everyone comes in the trailer, couches get folded down, tables get folded up, and the undressing process begins. Like the shelves, the tables instantly are COVERED with gear. Its probably not possible to have too much table space in the trailer.

The new shelf that you created and mounted above the couch is a little bit TOO high. We found it hard to see down into to locate smaller items. Might be nice to lower it down just a couple inches, just enough to see into the bottom of the shelf.

Consider raising the height of the boot dryer. Frequently find that the sled's handlebars hit the tips of the boots if they are ON the dryer when the sled is being loaded or unloaded.

Ice build up on the floor of the trailer continues to be a challenge on multi-Day trips. Not sure how to solve this, but its a real slippery issue for both riders and sleds. Having the SuperTrax Superglides is a GODSEND to walk on and NOT slip!!

The prototype rear door joint cover was a great idea, but it did not work particularly well. The membrane will need a much better mounting system like a continuous rail to hold both sides down. Over time we found that it "pooched" out in between the mounting screws. Also, because it folded DOWN it would regularly fill up with snow/mud and have to be swept out before the rear door could be closed. If it was made of a heavier thicker material it might be able to flex UP all the time and not catch any debris. Long term I think this will be a GREAT addition to your trailers, but just needs a different material and mount.

Ice on the Polybead floor made it a real challenge to drive the sleds in and out of the trailer. Saw a lot of track spin this year. Wished I had installed some traction strips in this trailer like we did in the previous one. We need to direct some of that heat coming from the huge furnace DOWN to the floor somehow...

Several times this year we found that we had hit the maximum height on the trailer jack when taking the trailer off the truck hitch. I have both an extended foot and trailer jack stands, but I am wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just have a slightly taller jack to begin with?

Any chance we could upgrade the Heater Exhaust Vents? Sometimes those little buggers were a REAL challenge to get properly aligned and fully opened at the same time. They work well for small fingers, but not so much for large ones like mine.

In general the ceiling hooks are a HUGE success. I would add MORE of them going to the rear of the trailer, and to the FRONT of the trailer where there is the most heat. Also, if it is possible, add a small bend to create a LIP at the end of the hook. More than once we found items hung would fall off while driving home on highways after a good bump. A lip "might" stop that.

The auxiliary rear heater works great. Everyone rather LOVED being able to stand in front of it for an added blast of heat when they needed to take the chill off. Not sure if its possible, but it would have been more useful in keeping the rear floor of the trailer clear of ice if we could move it FORWARD a foot or two in the trailer to spread out the heat better.

WITHOUT EXCEPTION, MORE USB PORTS!
5 guys riding.
5 GoPro video Cams
5 BCA Radios
5 Cell Phones
All of them HUNGRY for a USB port to recharge. Every single time we got into the trailer it was a FIGHT to see who got the charging station~!

Anyway to PROGRAM the heater to turn on to PRE-HEAT the trailer at a specific time? Several of the riders left notes asking if it would be possible to have the trailer heat fire up at say 5:00pm knowing full well that they scheduled their ride based on Sunset times and how sweet it would be to come back to a WARM TRAILER.

Allow the ability of one of the fans to be switched into reverse to blow cold dry air INTO the trailer (rather than just Exhausting) to help better control Humidity and to more rapidly expel 2 stroke smoke.

Have a light switch at the rear of the trailer so when the tail gait gets lowered its possible to turn on some light without having to go into a black trailer at night and find the forward switches.

The driver side rear lift cable is completely slack when the gate is locked closed. Passenger side is taught. It only happens in the very last inch of travel and has NO impact on the gate whatsoever, but it probably needs to be slightly tightened.

Found we were getting a lot of abrasion on the wall beneath the hot boxes where we are hanging our Avi packs from the packs swinging left to right while in transit. Maybe use a slightly different material for that one panel?

All the wheel caps on the tires rusted.

All the plastic corners on the floor battery box cover have broken off. Might do better to just make the entire cover out of metal?

The exterior walls on the front V-Nose seemed to lose their flat shape after the first long haul on the highway. Not sure if there is a way to use a thicker/stronger material, but the wind pressure seems to be causing them to bow and take up a very slightly wavy look to them.

Several times we noticed the spare tire had managed to lower itself down just a tiny bit from the trailer.? Just needed a turn of the crank to resolve.

Merch1.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Even at 1280 Resolution I fear this is not going to be super readable.
This is the first drawing they sent me for the 2017 Trailer Prototype.

picture.php

This is the Second drawing as the trailer continued to take shape and was slightly refined.
picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Production Order
Date of Order: 9/27/2016
Dealer: Mirage Retail
Width: 8.5
Length: 28
Model Number: MXSP8.528TA3 (Xtreme Sport (Tapered Fender Box))

Mirage Model Number: MXSP8.528TRA3
TNT Model Number: TETSP8.528TRA3

Mirage Model Number: MXSP8.528TA3

TNT Model Number: TETSP8.528TA3

GVWR: 9,990
Dry Weight: 3,890
Payload: 6,100
Overall Length: 30' 8"
Overall Width: 102"
Overall Height: 106"
Platform Height: 25"

Frame: 8" I-Beam
Floor Crossmembers: 16" o/c
Wall Crossmembers: 16" o/c
Rear Opening: 92"w x 75"h
Interior Height: 80"
Interior Sidewall Height: 78-3/4"
Interior Length: 28'
Interior Width: 97"

Bolt Pattern: 6 Lug on 5.5"
Tires: ST225/75R15 "D" 15" Radial
Brakes: All Axles
Axles: 5200# Torsion Brake
Hitch: 2 5/16" Adj.
Hitch Weight: 389
Hitch Height: 17" - 24"
Jack: 5k Drop Leg
Fenders: ATP Tandem Teardrop

Axle: Tandem 5200# Torsion Brakes
V Nose Upgrade:
Tire Size: ST225/75R15D
Wheel: Alum
Coupler: 2 5/16" Adjustable
Hitch Tube: 6" Tube
Frame: 8" I-Beam
Beaver Tail: YES
Frame Center: 16"
Stud Height: 84 3/4"
Stud Center: 16"
Roof Bow Center: 16"
Side Door Type: RV Door w/Catche
Side Door Size: 31/74 C/S
Roof Vent: 2 - 12v Power
Rear Doors: Ramp Door w/Assist
Floorcovering: Quad Poly bead
Front Cap: White
Fenders: ATP
Color: Metallic White
2-Tone Rear Color: Victory Red
VHB:NO
Dome Light Quantity 6
Dome Light Switch: YES
Stone Guard Size: 24"
Fenders: ATP
Interior Package: 110v Opt Pkg 1

Trailer Package: Sport Trl
Type: Sport HighMark Premium
Attached Sheet: YES

Package Description:
- 2 .LED. Load Lghts1) over Frnt 1) over Rr w Switch
- (1) 8' Alum Dual Cabnt Front Sect Heated/6 Hooks
- Insul Walls & Ceililng / Wht Walls & Ceiling Liner
- (2) Air Flow SideVents / - Choice of Ext Skin Color
- 6" Exterior ATP on Top of Front & Rear Ramps
- Spare Tire & Underbelly Mount w/handle
- Recessed Battery Box and 8 Place Boot Dryer
- 15 amp Motorbase Plug/110V Interior Outlet
- 6" ATP Exterior,/ Fixed Step / Dlx Graphics Pkg
- (2) 15"x15" Fuel Doors on Road Side
- Bright Ano Rear Header & Corner Posts
- Nylon Ski Guides Over Tapered Fender Box
- 2) Floor Tie Downs, 4) H/D D-Rings , Door Catches
- 40K BTU Forced Air Heater (DUCTED) with
12v Battery & (2) 30# Propane Tanks on Tongue
- 38 gal. Fuel System
- Utility/Accessory Shelf / Cup Holder
-- 8 Coat hooks on ceiling // Traction brackets:
(3) on Front ramp & (6 on the Rear EH use 4 & 8 !!:
- 1) ea: Work Bench & long Sitting Bench // Mirror
- Stereo w/4 Speakers and Antenna
- Security Hasps Each Ramps (keyed alike)
- 12" ATP Interior Skid Guard along bottomofwalls

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS:
6" extended tongue
glove dryer over Boot dryer
8) additional coat hooks on ceiling
8k radiant heater in addition to 40K
2) additional USB Chargers
2) Vent Lights
Xtreme Stereo Upgrade w/2 Ext Speakers
2) LED Floodlights
2) 24" x 30" Windows R/S
2) additional sitting benches
1) additional utility shelf
1) additional workbench
Xtreme Sport (Tapered Fender Box)
4) additional LED load lights (7ttl)
Dual Battery Box w/Additional Battery
Interior Package

MSRP = $29,723

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So what are some of the final changes from the last trailer to this one.?

Flip-Up Sofas removed
Even though I seriously LOVED the 2 sofas in the last 2 trailers, the fact is, they just don't belong in the Sled Trailer. Time and time again the sleds would HIT the couches when we were loading them. This resulted in cover material being torn, and more importantly the mounting bolts into the wall being pulled lose. The last couple years I was running 4 Yamahas with relatively WIDE stances that would place the outside edges of the skies right up against the wall edge even when the inside center skies were touching each other. This MIGHT not be a problem with NARROWER sleds?

3 fold-down benches have been added
While not as comfortable to "relax" on as the couches, I have NO DOUBT at all that these will be MUCH easier to get dressed and undressed on! And when not in use, they will fold up COMPLETELY out of the way of the sleds!

USB charger has been added to the front workbench
(There are now SIX USB ports in the trailer!)

2nd Window moved from passenger to driver's side of trailer

Steel Workbench has been removed from front on driver's side and replaced with 3rd Fold down bench.

Battery Box relocated to rear of nose
This should stop us from driving over the battery box lid everytime we unload a sled.

Exterior round incandescent lights have been removed, replaced with directional LEDs
This should give us better GROUND illumination all along the entry side of the trailer.

Awning has been removed
We just did not get all that much use out of it.

Center Fluorescent Lights have been re-positioned directly over the fold down workbenches
This one should be obvious, you want the light right where you are working!

8 more ceiling hooks have been added to hang clothing

And all new GLOVE DRYER have been added!!
This will be greatly appreciated!
The boot dryer is FANTASTIC, so I have great expectations of the Glove Dryer!

External Speakers have been Upgraded.
One of the most FUN aspects of this trailer is the KILLER SOUND system, and we LOVE the outside sound option!!

The upper shelf now has CUP HOLDERS built into it.

A Mirror has been added to the side wall.
While this might seem like a total vanity item, I think it might come in VERY handy for Helmet camera checks, and pack checks to make sure there are NO danglies!

Roof lights have been added to the Exhaust Vents

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One of the BIGGEST CHANGES of all, is that this year we will be running one of Mirages EXTREME SPORT trailers rather than the Extreme Snow trailer.

http://www.miragetrailers.com/xtreme-teton-snowmobile-atv-trailers.html

DOWNLOADABLE BROCHURE
http://www.miragetrailers.com/brochures/xtreme-sport-brochure.pdf

2015-xtreme-teton-sport-cover.png

Xtreme/Teton Sport has reinvented the marketplace for snowmobile trailers and ATV trailers, with unrivaled features, packages, and customizations.

xtreme-sport.png

teton-sport.png

The low profile body silhouette and innovative 72" front ramp are unmatched. The cavernous cargo space, sporty exterior graphics, options packages, and custom features can't be touched. Our commitment to quality manufacturing and design innovations make Xtreme and Teton easy choices for even the most discerning customer. Additionally, you simply will not find an enclosed trailer with more versatility. Haul up to 6 ATVs, motorcycles or snowmobiles with room to spare. Haul your Razor or Rhino side by side, or most any dune buggy. And, with the standard beavertail, you can even use Xtreme/Teton Sport to haul automobiles.

Tandem and Triple Axle
The tandem axle Xtreme Sport is available in lengths from 20 to 28 feet and payloads up to 6800 pounds on 5200 pound axles. The triple axle Xtreme Sport trailer is available in lengths up to 34 feet and can be equipped to haul up to 10800 pounds. Standard features include 8" I-beam chassis, beavertail, ceiling liner, torsion axles, radial tires, LED lights, and our famous front ramp. It's 72" and partially built into the sidewall, allowing for the shortest pivot (approach) angle in the industry. You'll notice the difference the first time you load or unload your toys. You won't climb on and off the sled or atv to physically align it with the ramp, nor worry as much about crashing into other machines in the trailer. The Mirage exclusive Polybead laminate floor resists carbides, water, and fuel and eliminates the need for expensive, after-market liners. Xtreme offers more options than any other enclosed trailer in its class, including stereos, fuel systems, custom graphics, ducted heat systems, heated cabinets, and our popular Blackout package.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I really like the gooseneck trend.

BTW, I saw your old red trailer going through Seeley Lake, MT last weekend.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I really like the gooseneck trend.

BTW, I saw your old red trailer going through Seeley Lake, MT last weekend.

Goosenecks are mighty fine trailers if you have the right rig to tow with!

xtreme-teton-gooseneck.png

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8l-K29jlFyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L
May 15, 2009
Do you use the 8k radiant heater all the time w/the forced air furnace or just when getting the initial warmth in the trailer? From my understanding the radiant heater also needs fresh air for air safety if you were staying in the trailer. Looking at your drawings both heaters are plumbed to the same propane line, so is there a line shutoff valve for the radiant heater?
Thanks

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Your new Super Duty will be set-up for that, if you opt for it.
That gooseneck ball pops out SO EASILY!!! VERY smart for Ford to go with that one.

Goosenecks are mighty fine trailers if you have the right rig to tow with!

xtreme-teton-gooseneck.png

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8l-K29jlFyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do you use the 8k radiant heater all the time w/the forced air furnace or just when getting the initial warmth in the trailer? From my understanding the radiant heater also needs fresh air for air safety if you were staying in the trailer. Looking at your drawings both heaters are plumbed to the same propane line, so is there a line shutoff valve for the radiant heater?
Thanks
ONLY use it in SHORT BURSTS when I am trying to MELT out the sleds or after a long cold ride where I want to stand right in front of a HOT heat source.

Since it is Tilt-Mounted on the wall and can be tilted forward to point down, it also help melt the floor on the rear of the trailer which tends to be the coldest spot in the trailer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Got a few question about HOW Mirage Manufacturers their trailers, so I thought I would share some Photos and Video then sent me of the build.

Welding the main frame rails.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RnIunyOcLCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Plasma Cutting the main frame rails.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JiGIaQ1jl2Y?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="420" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Placing the Cross Members inside of the Frame Rails.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u5LhS5rvGt4?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="420" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Welding the trailer tongue.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gmpdLOLeuWU?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="420" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Welding the cross members into the frame rails.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a0JXQiZP1oQ?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="420" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Welding on side supports to the main frame.
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UDpu1apCxDg?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The aux fuel tank
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ir_ED_18eK0?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
walk around of the trailer frame.
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/45BznNXwy6w?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Premium Features