• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.6 powerclaw mod

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
I cut all the fingers off my 2.6 powerclaw last night. It looks identical to the new 3" now other than the 3/8" shorter paddles. We will see if it helps or hurts it

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
Bacon on here has done the same thing I believe... Maybe he will chime in. Dakota Performance recommended doing the same thing also...haven't done mine yet but think I am going to... Interested to hear more feedback

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I did mine a few years ago, lost 3.5lbs on a 153, I didn't see any downfalls in performance.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Track

We went uo today but all we could find was hero snow. Big storm rolling in now so we should have some fresh snow and will have some 3" to test with also

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
No. It's been snowing too hard. Just barely stopped. We are heading up tomorrow. 30" of new. We will have some stock 16's with 3" and stage 2 16's with 3" so we should get some real good comparisons. I'm not planning on it working as well as the 3" in the deep powder, but I'm 99% positive it will be a lot better than it was before, which really wasn't that bad, but why not improve it.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
How was it in the hard snow? If anything I would think that is where any negatives would show removing the extra fingers.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
I could not see disadvatages even in the semi settled powder. It felt like it grabbed just as hard. I still was having to let off on the climbs as it was grabbing so much. Suspension was probably a little soft for harder snow that day.

I havn't done the exact math, but I think losing the 3 pounds of rubber translates out to about 21 pounds of rotation mass also.

So far I have absolutely no regrets about it and I'm hearing feedback privately from others having the same results. Some even giving me a hard time for posting it giving up some secrets to make their sleds better

Last edited:

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
"I could see disadvatages even in the semi settled powder"

So its not at good with the fingers cut off in set up snow ??

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
This should translate to the 2.25 as well then, right? I have an old M7, I'd like to try it on. I know my 3" works awesome.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Track

"I could see disadvatages even in the semi settled powder"

So its not at good with the fingers cut off in set up snow ??

I missed a very important word there. :)

I corrected it to say I seen no disadvantages. Sorry. Sometimes hard to type on my phone

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I'm surprised guys are saying it performs the same. The biggest benefit I see from the Powerclaw tracks is its ability to hold sidehills, especially in more set-up snow. On tracks without the fingers, any tracks, the backend of the sled drops-out more easily when pulling aggressive sidehills...meaning the backend drops downhill more easily and this requires more countersteering which then slows you down.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
After a full day of riding today in some new snow the track performs much better. The exact opposite of the previous post, as I found it held and tracked much better on the side hills and it stayed up on top of the snow much better. Could much more easily slow down in the trees and then get back on the gas without trenching

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
I wonder if those fingers actually fracture the snow the paddles are trying to compress for traction causing reduced performance. AC has not revealed why the 3" doesn't have them. But it doesn't and it has proven to be a performer!

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
I would rather have a 3", but it made enough of an improvement that I'm not going to spend the money on the upgrade

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have my 2.6" ported, if I did this as well, my track would be pretty darn light.

How did you cut off the paddles? It looks like you used a knife?

It really works that much better huh? The improvement is enough to keep you from buying a 3"?

I really like the idea making my 2.6" work nearly as well as the 3" and still being able to run my stock 8 tooth drivers.

Last edited:
Premium Features