For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Powder Room This is the SnoWest LADIES forum.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Currently: Patiently waiting for my '19
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute
Default My wife wants to come mountain riding - what to buy?

My wife has finally () decided she'll come out west with me. She is not aggressive at all and her off trail experience is limited to trapping lines and remote lake crossings at home. She enjoys trail riding, but she hasn't done much of that in the last 5 years as we had a daughter and stopped sledding for a while.

Seeing as how she wants a sled, I got her to take out my Summit on the weekend to get a baseline as to what she likes/doesn't like. She expected the sled to be too tippy and the track too long. We did a quick 6 mile tour on it between a rutted out creek, some groomed trail, whopped out sections and some fresh snow. She admitted she couldn't tell how long it was while riding and loved the way it drove. She did say that she may feel more comfortable with a wider front end, but admitted she really liked the way it handled in the powder.

We were considering a Freeride but I keep wondering if maybe she'd be better off on a Summit? Track length we'd like to keep to 146/154 but can't seem to come to a hard decision there there.

She's 5'8" 115lbs. Any input would be appreciated. We will NOT be purchasing a Polaris, FWIW.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blk88GT For This Useful Post:
05900 (01-29-2016), christopher (10-20-2016), Doo799 (12-16-2016), Missy (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 AM
Currently: Not set.
Wowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what kind of riding she will be doing, but if you are doing any mountain riding don't go shorter than the 154, floatation is big in the mountains. Trust me she does not want to be stuck all the time..... Would keep ski stance narrow for sidehilling. As per Summit vs Freeride don't think there is a huge difference in those setups.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to Wowmom For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (01-30-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Currently: Back in the mountains
Thanked 1,128 Times in 422 Posts
Murph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is 5' 2" 115 lbs.

She rides a Pro 155 and a Pro 163. I know you are sticking with Ski Doo (great sleds) I would go with the longest track she is comfortable with-- after riding, not discussing. If you can, take out a couple of sleds with different track lengths and cover the track length sticker. See what she notices/ likes/ dislikes.

Val likes the 163" because she can poke through the trees at a slower speed and stay on top. She also likes how the 163" is less prone to washing out while sidehilling.

Let her learn (re-learn) at her own pace, find other women who snowmobile to ride with-- not trail riding meadow muffins, but women who actually push their limits and RIDE. Not many women really ride around here, but Val has gotten to the level that she can hang with the men just fine.

Val is not the best rider I ride with, but I enjoy riding with her more than any other. I get so stoked watching her pull a line or make men look silly-- especially the ones who don't "want to ride with a girl".

Speedcell Technologies-- Founding Member

Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue-snowmobile team

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (01-30-2016), Doo799 (04-13-2016), Missy (01-28-2016), NorthMNSledder (02-03-2016), Ryan-41 (04-27-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Currently: is doing her SNOWDANCE!
Missy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk88GT View Post
We will NOT be purchasing a Polaris, FWIW.
Get a PRO! The AXYS is so amazing

On a serious note, I am really excited for you! I hope you find her the perfect sled so she can enjoy it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missy For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute

I don't trust the Polaris 800, so it's out. Sorry Missy. Getting her to ride with other women will prove difficult as we have to plan our trips and don't know any other women who ride. She'll be stuck with me for a while

I'd like to buy a sled in the next week or two and get her comfortable on it at home before we head out on a trip. It may result in having to buy a different (longer shorter, etc) sled later, but I think that would be the easiest thing to do in our situation.

I appreciate the feedback.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Murph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond reputeMurph has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk88GT View Post
I don't trust the Polaris 800, so it's out. Sorry Missy. Getting her to ride with other women will prove difficult as we have to plan our trips and don't know any other women who ride. She'll be stuck with me for a while

I'd like to buy a sled in the next week or two and get her comfortable on it at home before we head out on a trip. It may result in having to buy a different (longer shorter, etc) sled later, but I think that would be the easiest thing to do in our situation.

I appreciate the feedback.
Buy her a sled that you would ride yourself. I hate it when I see a guy on a new sled and his wife/girlfriend is on a ten year old sled and he can't understand why she can't ride it or doesn't like to ride it.... It doesn't have to be brand new, but if it's a Ski Doo, make sure it's an XM.

Personally, like Missy, I like Polaris-- I understand why you don't. I actually think a Ski Doo is easier for a new rider to follow on because it is so planted. A new rider can steer (vs countersteer) up a hill, where a Pro wants to roll in off camber situations if you aren't on edge (sidehilling on one ski).

More important than the sled is attitude. Hers and YOURS. I still fall into this trap sometimes where I get frustrated and it wrecks the vibe. The best thing we can do when she gets stuck is laugh and get it out (sometimes the laughing part is easier said than done). If we make stucks no big deal, then they happen less often. It's when we get mad or frustrated that it becomes no fun for the person learning.

Speedcell Technologies-- Founding Member

Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue-snowmobile team

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (01-30-2016), MountainJunkie (10-11-2016), NorthMNSledder (02-03-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Currently: Hele i kahi mokupuni
Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,527 Posts
05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute05900 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

154! there is not enough "extra" to be noticeable except when you need it .. set suspension.
Raise / Lower bars so it fits and GO.

Ski Doo has big sale push now?!!

You might not see him in person, But he'll see you just the same..

Old 01-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Currently: reasonable man. LOL!
papafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently found myself in the same situation. I just picked up an m5 for my 8 year old and now momma announced she wants to learn as well. I'm pretty excited. Probably make the first trip a training playing trip on the m5 and see how she handles just being there. If she likes it an upgrade is certain to come. She can trail ride just fine but has never been off trail or in the backcountry. She has listened to mean stammer on about riding and sat thru hours of sledding videos so I think she is more than capable of becoming a decent rider. I just know it will be my responsibility to make sure she enjoys her first experience. If it goes poorly in any way I risk the chance that she will never try again. Always stay positive, listen to what they have to say, push them only if they are comfortable, and always make sure they are enjoying themselves. Good luck. Keep us in the loop because you may just have some helpful tips I can utilize on our first couples mountain adventure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to papafinger1 For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Basic Member
hughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond repute

As we live out west(NW Wa.) my wife also rides. I started her on a M7 and upgraded her to a Proclimb 600. With that said she rally liked my Proclimb 800 and if I had it to do over I would probably get her a 153"800.

The Following User Says Thank You to hughesfoundation For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (01-30-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:53 PM
The Following User Says Thank You to Blk88GT For This Useful Post:
papafinger1 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Currently: Bring on the POW!! and dont be shy!!!
Thistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond reputeThistledoo has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thistledoo For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (02-02-2016), Missy (02-01-2016), papafinger1 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:43 PM
papafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond reputepapafinger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Blk88GT (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Missy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Missy For This Useful Post:
papafinger1 (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:11 AM

Click Here to Register

christopher (10-20-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Basic Member
hughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond reputehughesfoundation has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to hughesfoundation For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Wowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond reputeWowmom has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-03-2016, 02:20 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Currently: 850 modder
revrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to revrider07 For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (02-19-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 07:50 AM

Click Here to Register

Blk88GT (02-19-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 PM
snohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond reputesnohomish has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-19-2016, 09:06 AM

Click Here to Register

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blk88GT For This Useful Post:
christopher (10-20-2016), Missy (10-19-2016), NorthMNSledder (10-19-2016), volcano buster (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 08:49 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 10-20-2016, 06:59 AM

Click Here to Register

Missy (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 14,847 Times in 7,046 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to christopher For This Useful Post:
Missy (10-20-2016)