Upgrade to Premium
GPS enabled devices GPS Maps, Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT, ect

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Currently: Waiting to go grooming!
Basic Member
groomerdriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Garmin XXX? - what the BEST?

Our oldest son rides in Alaska generally north of Anchorage. Not in the big MOUNTAINS all the time but generally in the lower elevations of Petersville and Talkeetna.

Last weekend he and a friend got caught in a storm that created whiteout conditions and they didn't have a GPS to guide them back.

Something happened that could have turned out REALLY BAD but he got lucky.....this time. There's not going to be a next time because we are buying him a GPS.

So it's going to be a Garmin. Want large screen and color. Will be used for snowmachining, hunting, hiking and fishing.

Radio function (Rhino) is not needed. So is it narrowed down to a Montana? Or ??

Any and all help is appreciated!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
snosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond reputesnosub has a reputation beyond repute

The cheapest Montana with a free custom map with an Amps mount on to a RAM mount would be really hard to beat. Many threads on this.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Currently: Waiting for Winter
schmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond reputeschmidty89 has a reputation beyond repute

Check into a Delorme. I don't know much about them but a friend of mine was informing me on them. Much like a SPOT GPS tracker with the ability to have a map and visual tracking setup. If you do not need a Radio this seems like the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-21-2016, 06:17 PM
tmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty89 View Post
Check into a Delorme. I don't know much about them but a friend of mine was informing me on them. Much like a SPOT GPS tracker with the ability to have a map and visual tracking setup. If you do not need a Radio this seems like the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Delorme InReach. The orange one has the GPS functionality and the text communication, the yellow one (SE) does not have the GPS maps built in, but you can send and receive text messages.

I have the SE - you can pair it with your phone and download GPS maps to use. The maps are decent - and I have not figured out how to do custom maps like I can on my garmin.

For now I carry the Delorme InReach SE (communication), my Garmin 62S GPS with the custom trail maps, and my IPhone.....

Last edited by tmk50; 01-21-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Basic Member
butthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond reputebutthead has a reputation beyond repute

60 csx and learn how to use it

Old 02-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Currently: stressed as hell
tmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond reputetmanker has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need 2-way radio functionality? If so, check out rino. If not, etrex 35t is a nice unit. If you want ability to take photos, etc... check out Montana units.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:44 AM
summitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Garmin

You just cant beat a Garmin GPS. I love the Montana, its one powerful unit if you know how to use a GPS. Very customizable. I use mine for sledding, snowbiking, streetbike, dirtbike etc. Garmin has been around a long time. If your into the group thing the Rino series is pretty good as well. I use VHF radio and my Montana. Excellent combo !

Old 05-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Currently: Let 'er SNOW!!
Timbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitboy View Post
You just cant beat a Garmin GPS. I love the Montana, its one powerful unit if you know how to use a GPS. Very customizable. I use mine for sledding, snowbiking, streetbike, dirtbike etc. Garmin has been around a long time. If your into the group thing the Rino series is pretty good as well. I use VHF radio and my Montana. Excellent combo !
I just "upgraded" to a Garmin Montana 610T and Baofeng radios this year. Bit of a learning curve on the radios (programming them). Really like the waterproof shoulder mics that i purchased with the radios.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Currently: sourceinnovations.ca
Teth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond reputeTeth-Air has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbre View Post
I just "upgraded" to a Garmin Montana 610T and Baofeng radios this year. Bit of a learning curve on the radios (programming them). Really like the waterproof shoulder mics that i purchased with the radios.
For those considering mics, these radios are so small that they can be put directly in a bag on your shoulder and no mic is needed. I have a neoprene beer bottle cozy sewn onto the breast/shoulder of my avy vest and it zips up over the radio. This works great. Way easier to get to if you want to change channel or hit the call button etc.

http://www.sourceinnovations.ca

We also have TKI Belt Drives, Arm Candy A-Arm Braces, Oil Tank Inserts, Reversible Scratchers, Polaris Suspension Couplers, Track Clips, Clutching and more.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No