• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1988 Arctic cat Cougar 500 F/C

X
Nov 19, 2015
Valcourt, Quebec, Canada
Hello!

I just bought a Arctic Cat Cougar and it has to be worked on, but since now I have been working only on my TNT, wich is BRP and they are quite different. . . So I have a couple questions;

First of all I'd like to know if the Cougar is a model that is worth putting effort on. Is it reliable? Fun to drive? Will I have to change pieces often? Will it last for long? (Such as my TNT, it's a '75 and we've been beating it and still works mint)

Second, heres the list of things I have to do on it (as of now, I might find more surprises along the way):

Smaller problems/Somewhat easy to fix
- It lacks a cab (I've found one for 50$);
- It's wires need to be looked at (the previous owner did a pretty crappy job and now to have sparks I need to bypass by the first connector);
- The engine lacks the cover (Does that actually matter?);
- There is no clutch strap;
- The rear suspension is done for;
- There was water in the seat;
- The tube that goes within the fuel tank (not the one between the tank and the pump) seems to be missing, altough every other tube seems to be here and in good condition;
- The ignition key is missing.

And now the bigger stuff:
The Clutch side of the engine seems to have over-heated and the piston has stries and a chunk has been eaten. The cylinder has no clue of that, it still is in great condition. It also has no compression on this side. The rings have fusioned with the piston. I might be able to find a used piston, the question here being:
What caused this?
Could this have endommaged other parts of the engine?
(Also the piston is stuck on the pin, any tips Very appreciated)

Now that you know all I have to do in order to get it working, is it still worth it?

I know it's a lot covered in one post, but I require assistance and I believe you guys could help me here. Also I don't have any pictures right now, but I definitely will be taking some soon.

Thanks for reading,
~~Xavier S

Edit:
Also if anyone could give me the electric diagram or tell me to what models is the same, that would help alot. I can't find it, thanks.
And also where I could find the VIN or anything similar, I didn't get the papers and would like to ensure myself it wasn't stolen. . .

Last edited:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Vintage or classic trail sleds are usually not a focus on this site. vintagesleds.com has more information and the expertise you may be looking for. The Cougar you have will require access to used parts at a cheap price or better yet a doner sled for parts. Otherwise the cost to get this sled in running condition will greatly out way its value. The missing engine cover is a big deal and probably is responsible for the burnt down clutch side piston. The cover directs air moved by the fan on the mag side across the cylinders to cool the engine. Without the cover only the mag side is receiving airflow to cool the motor. A bad crank seal may also be responsible for the clutch side burning down by letting excess air into the combustion chamber leaning the fuel mixture to much. The clutch cover us a safety feature that protects you and the hood of the sled during belt or clutch failure. Fixing up old sleds is fun but it takes time, some mechanical knowledge and having access to parts. Sometimes sleds are just too far gone to be brought back.

Premium Features