Upgrade to Premium
GPS enabled devices GPS Maps, Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT, ect

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
MK7880 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rhino 650 reviews / actual use

I lost my GPSmap 62 last year and looking at the GPSMap 64 or the Rhino 650. The tracking and radio system has a huge apeal to me. Anyone have issues with the touch screen in the cold or accuracy of the tracking system in the woods?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-16-2015, 10:52 PM
powdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond repute

We use the rhino 650. The screen works great in cold weather even with gloves on for me. The tracking system works when everyone remembers to up date it. You have to push a button to update the other radios on your location. One of ours the battery is bad and will be dead even after charging it. Last year the rider that had that rhino was the one that got separated from the rest of us as the storm was coming. Lucky for use we where able to find his ski tracks and followed them to him. I do like the rhino but we all need more practice with them. Hope this helps

Old 08-16-2015, 11:11 PM
sled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Never had any issue with the 650's in our group, I've had mine for a few years now.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Currently: Always waiting for Snow!
skierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond reputeskierh2o has a reputation beyond repute

Screens work great in the cold and with gloves as mentioned here as well!

I also had battery issues, turned out Garmin replaced my entire unit with another no charge (told it was a software issue) and they have been perfect the last couple of years... LONG battery life!

my only complaint is when mounted on the sled, vibration is an issue at idle ( as with all GPS units I've had) for truly accurate info. the sled needs to be off.

If you can get your riding buddies to buy Rhinos as well it is an excellent piece of hardware and piece of mind! I don't head in to the back country without it now!

Ryan

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 AM
Currently: ND. Meatball Crew / Polaris Ambassador
FatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond repute

Several of us in our riding group have the Rhino 650 or the 655T and both have been working great!!!

No issues with the touch screen in the cold, great battery life, easy to use, once you just take the time and play with it a little.

The radio portion works very well, clarity and range. The mapping and being able see the other riders in your group, once they update is a great feature!! We have had several instances where a rider or two have gone "MIA" for a bit and these things completely fix this issue!!! Once they tell you they are okay, the map is updated and you can direct yourself right to them.

The GPS tracking feature works great as well. We have had a couple instances where weather starts to roll in and we're in a newer place, no problem as you can track your way right back out.

A few of the guys in our group have Ram mounts for them and the rest of us just put them into a pocket. I personally keep mine in a Skinz handlebar bag and it fits just right. Doesn't bounce around and it's easy to get to. The guys running the Ram mount also run some kind of tether but no one has had an issue with the unit coming out either.

All in all, it's a great piece of equipment that I would recomend to any backcountry rider. Not only is it a piece of safety equipment that assists with getting home safe it also marks those great places we sometimes stumble across.

So two gloved thumbs up, you wont't be disapointed!

Polaris Pro RMK Axys 850 / 163
Polaris IQR 600
HD Street Glide with all kinds of goodies
Can Am Maverick X DS Turbo
Legend Enclosed Trailer (the toy box)

The Following User Says Thank You to FatDogX For This Useful Post:
turbolover (11-02-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Currently: Doing the snow dance
Jblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond repute

Tough to beat the Rhino's. I have used mine to find stuck buddies before, very handy when lost in the trees or with a large group that gets separated easily. Radio works great

The only bummer is access to the unit, maybe a mount is the answer. A set up like the BCA BC Link would be sweet on the Rhino's. I do have a cheap remote push button mic, not the most stout connection with that small mic jack. I'm always nervous it will break off and get stuck in the port.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:28 AM
Currently: ND Meatball Crew
Quinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond reputeQuinlan has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

One of the best investments our group has made! They paid for themselves our first trip out being able to communicate and track people.

I keep mine on a ram mount to the left of the speedometer on my Assault and tether it to my gauge lifter. Only broke it off once so far...and it took impaling a large pine pretty hard to do it!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Currently: ND. Meatball Crew / Polaris Ambassador
FatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
One of the best investments our group has made! They paid for themselves our first trip out being able to communicate and track people.

I keep mine on a ram mount to the left of the speedometer on my Assault and tether it to my gauge lifter. Only broke it off once so far...and it took impaling a large pine pretty hard to do it!
Ahh yes, I do beleive I remember that...........ha ha

And yes, they are absolutley worth every penny!!!!

Polaris Pro RMK Axys 850 / 163
Polaris IQR 600
HD Street Glide with all kinds of goodies
Can Am Maverick X DS Turbo
Legend Enclosed Trailer (the toy box)

Old 08-28-2015, 03:57 PM
griffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond repute

I cracked my screen on the first day I used it. I really liked it up other than that.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Basic Member
MK7880 is an unknown quantity at this point

All - Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate the honesty. My group is in atransition where most guys need to update GPS units and thought this would be a good option.

I saw a couple of comments on mounting. Do most of you mount on the bars or keep the unit in the pocket?

Old 08-30-2015, 08:08 AM
powdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond reputepowdrdaz has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 08-30-2015, 09:02 AM
griffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond reputegriffin86 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Thanked 1,113 Times in 635 Posts
SRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-30-2015, 06:58 PM
Currently: drunk on a plane
srt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond reputesrt20 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-01-2015, 05:54 PM
Currently: Let 'er SNOW!!
Timbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond reputeTimbre has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-28-2015, 10:07 PM
alt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond reputealt has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Currently: ACTIVELY defend your right to ride.
Polaris & Montana Moderator
Thanked 7,937 Times in 4,588 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 PM
Currently: Pow Hunting
GreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond reputeGreenState has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-31-2015, 11:03 PM
Currently: Waiting to ride new toy...
xc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Currently: Alpha Hawk!
Thanked 1,071 Times in 529 Posts
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Currently: that's a fact Jack!
coolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond reputecoolm7cat has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolm7cat For This Useful Post:
Scott (11-01-2015), turbolover (11-02-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 PM
sled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond reputesled-fiend has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 11-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Currently: Waiting to ride new toy...
xc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond reputexc6rider has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xc6rider For This Useful Post:
Scott (11-02-2015), summ8rmk (11-02-2015)