For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: 4-Stroke Includes all Yamaha 4-strokes, Nytro, Apex, Phazer, etc

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Currently: Waiting for SNOW!
kinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lightest Apex out there?

I love the apex chassis as it fits me better then any nytro/viper. Just curious since its a mature model does anyone know the lightest Apex anyone has built?

I think I saw a carbon fiber one around 550lbs WET but cant remember.

Wondering if its worth the hassle to go Ti frame, A arms, tunnel, seat exhaust, etc to get me in the 570's lb range. I'm at 678 right now as a 151 supercharged. Stock tunnel, seat, reverse, exhaust, a arms, and steering system.

I do have a ZX2 (lighter then stock), headlight retrofit with HID trail tech (saves weight). Thats really it.

Its a trail/ditch sled here in Iowa. Im getting older and in the deep snow when we have it, the sled can wear me out. Based on all the searching I have done it looks like over 100lbs is achievable from current state. Just wondering if it would make a difference or not. Right now I cant tell much difference between a full tank of fuel and a empty one.

Any specifics or build threads on a light weight Apex would be great! Thanks

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Currently: currently looking for work to support my habit
bholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think there are way better options to spend money on then try to get an old outdated sled to work better. There is no resale value when you try to sell it. The money you would spend could get you a later model sled with better technology. I guess it all depends on what you want to do.

Last edited by bholmlate; 03-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bholmlate For This Useful Post:
ChrisNeibauer (01-01-2016)
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Currently: Not set.
Thanked 1,113 Times in 635 Posts
SRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give ya my .02 to try and save ya some money. My last Apex mtx had right at 100lbs removed from it. It had almost every lightweight option you can do. fox floats, complete front and rear suspension replaced, ultra light weight exhaust and seat, ultra light battery, reverse/parking brake/sway bar all removed. Im sure im forgetting some things but you get the idea. Anyway....With all that $$$ spent this sled (162 W/supercharger) was STILL 150lbs heavier then a 155 Pro RMK.

I made the switch because I was tired of being completely worn out after a day of riding. I will be the first to say the Pro is NO WHERE near the quality of the Yamaha but the only mod I did to this sled was 200 bucks for a set of running boards. Compare that to my yammies and you would need to add two more zeros to that number!!!!

Eric

Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 AM
kinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks that is pretty much what I expected. Its hard when you like something and its paid for and doesn't owe me anything its hard to get a new one and have to start over with the customization.

Back to how light can you go here is a 460lb apex with lots of mods but all for less then $1500 but LOTS of labor:

http://www.neumeyer.us/sleds/apex.htm

Just curious what it would take both money and time to get that light. However the bigger question is will it even matter. It possibly wont be much better just because how far back the chassis sits?

Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 PM
willinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond repute

Man don't listen to these guys if you want to lose some weight on your apex go for it man the apex is a awesome sled and not to mention it will almost last you forever. Do the major weight loss items and I think you'll be more than happy. A-arms, skid, seat, and under tunnel exhaust, and your looking at a good savings with just that stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to willinwillys For This Useful Post:
sledfvr (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Currently: currently looking for work to support my habit
bholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond repute

lets see

tunnel $1900 = +/- 15 Lbs
Rear suspensopn $2000 = -30 lbs.
Front suspension $1800 = -12lbs
Mesh Hood $500 = -10 lbs.
Belt Drive $2500 = +/- 18 lbs
Exhaust system $800 = 8 lbs
battery $250 = -10 lbs
seat $500 = not sure

$10,150 = 103 lbs

ad on snowest
2014 800 RMK 155
$7397

Me i am going with the RMK I can built a few motors with the mone i save and still have a way better sled then the APex

You can certainly do what you want. all my numbers are just estimates dont quote me

Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 AM
willinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond reputewillinwillys has a reputation beyond repute

10 grand, wow I guess if you want to buy everything new but there are tons of used or almost new parts out there up for grabs. I'm building a boosted Nytro with all those parts right now and I will have like 4500 in it and that's with buying the sled also!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM

Yeah that is the other nice part about the old girl is lightweight parts are dirt cheap now.

I wouldn't spend more then $2500 to reduce the weight would be my goal.

The question still remains CAN YOU FEEL it? I'm not so sure chassis 'feel' heavy or light based on actual weight I 'think' it has more to do with the chassis and suspension set up but I could be wrong. If I got the apex down to 450 lbs would a pro still 'feel' lighter? I dont have enough experience with different sleds to know the anwser.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinger9 For This Useful Post:
snowmanx (04-18-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 AM
SRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinger9 View Post
Yeah that is the other nice part about the old girl is lightweight parts are dirt cheap now.

I wouldn't spend more then $2500 to reduce the weight would be my goal.

The question still remains CAN YOU FEEL it? I'm not so sure chassis 'feel' heavy or light based on actual weight I 'think' it has more to do with the chassis and suspension set up but I could be wrong. If I got the apex down to 450 lbs would a pro still 'feel' lighter? I dont have enough experience with different sleds to know the anwser.
THATS what I was trying to tell you. I rode my sled for 3yrs WITH the 100lbs removed. I ride the mountains and a lot of technical tree riding. It flat out wears you out by mid afternoon. Your shoulders are burning and your ready to be done for the day. I use to take advil 3 times a day riding that sled.

Now I can ride the pro all day long doing the same type of riding, don't take any advil and feel fine at the end of the day.

I do agree that if your going to continue to mod your apex find all the parts used. Also keep in mind that the more you do to it the harder it becomes to sell and the lower you have to drop the price. Eric

Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Basic Member
low slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond reputelow slung has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-13-2014, 02:09 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 03-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Basic Member
camshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-13-2014, 08:38 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Basic Member
thamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond reputethamax has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Basic Member
camshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond reputecamshaft has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Duke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond reputeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Currently: 2871 boosting 4 cylinders!
Remmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 04-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Currently: Snowbiking Wyoming
Basic Member
eric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eric82930 For This Useful Post:
kinger9 (12-07-2017), vmax6 (05-13-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Currently: Snowbiking Wyoming
Basic Member
eric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eric82930 For This Useful Post:
ApexT (09-20-2017), ChrisNeibauer (01-01-2016), kinger9 (01-02-2017)
Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM

Click Here to Register