For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Member Sled Builds A forum for building a project or mod sled.... Not just your common "Mods", but full on sled build projects.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Currently: Not set.
Bushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default FCX Fan Cooled Xtreem CMX

Starting on a sled for my kids to ride because Polaris wont make a light weight mid size sled that goes thru powder. This wont be mid size but I hope to get it down bellow 400 Lbs. My daughter will be 10 this year and the 120 is just to small wont work in powder and she is getting to big to put in front of me when we go in the back country.
Starting with a 2006 CMX that I bought as a roller. The 151 track and M10 is out and will be replaced with a 2013 Polaris skid that will be shortened to 141 with a 141 X 1.6 Cobra track. Have a 440 Polaris fan engine from a donor sled. The Coolers are out and I have some Burant boards that I am trying to make work. Here are some picks of the mods needed to make some NOS 141 rails work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3170.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	220812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3171.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	220813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3172.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	220814  

Name:	IMG_3137.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	220815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3136.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	220816  

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushwacker1 For This Useful Post:
Reeb (12-14-2013), volcano buster (12-13-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Bushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond repute

Working on the rear skid today. The 155 skid weighs 40 Lbs without scratchers and 43 Lbs with. I am hoping that it won't gain any weight with the splice plates, and less cut outs than the 155 rails. I might have to go with the cable style as there is no place to drill the second mount hole. Does any one know how much the cable style weigh? Made a new rivet back up buck tool and finished riveting the new front arm mounts in place. Riviting process is working better now. (Hope the front arm mount is strong enough) Transferred punched the arm mount holes to a template, drilled the template, and then transferred to the new rails. Drilled them out and used my new counter bore tools to make room for the lower mount point bolts and shafts. The new placement of the bottom out snubber for the front arm was going to hit the nut for the hyfax thru bolt, so I had to shorten the bolt, and drill a hole in the rail, so the nut is in the middle of the rail instead of on top of the rail. Still need to square out the rear axle holes so I can get full track adjustment out of the newer style axle mounts. For now I will be using the smaller rear wheels that fit these rails. There is not much extra room for the rear arm to clear the larger wheels. Will have to see how much there is when it goes together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3173.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	220970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3174.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	220971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3176.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	220972  

Name:	IMG_3175.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	220973  

Old 12-15-2013, 01:05 AM
volcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond repute

Couple questions:

- What can you tell us about the 440 fan motor? Is it a reed valve motor? Why did you elect that size versus going with a 550 which would have 25% more cubes?
- What steered you to the 141" track?
- Do you anticipate any issues using the "Pro" rear suspension in a shortened version? I thought Polaris opted not to use that set up in the 144" platform since it would not work as planned (as it has in the 155/163)?
- How much weight do you think you can lose by reducing the over-engineering required for the weight and power of a factory 800 versus the 440 fanner?
- What width ski center do you plan to run given a smaller/lighter rider?

I'm curious to see how this sled turns out and performs for a smaller rider. Keep the information and pictures flowing.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 AM

- What can you tell us about the 440 fan motor? Is it a reed valve motor? Why did you elect that size versus going with a 550 which would have 25% more cubes?

The 440 was chosen for cost. I picked up a complete sled for $200. There are no reeds on the carbs but it may have the reed petal boost port in the case. I think the bolt up and alignment are the same as the 550 so that could be an upgrade later.

-What steered you to the 141" track?

I was thinking about a 136 but the 141 cobra weighs 41 lbs which is lighter than most 136 tracks out there. The pro skid would not be able to be shortened to 136 as the rear arm would hit on the rear wheels. The 141 also could be upgraded to a Attak or power claw and only add around 5 Lbs. The 151 I pulled out was around 56 Lbs

- Do you anticipate any issues using the "Pro" rear suspension in a shortened version? I thought Polaris opted not to use that set up in the 144" platform since it would not work as planned (as it has in the 155/163)?

I chose the Pro skid for the weight. It is 40 lbs without scratchers and 43 with. This is lighter than the 151 M10 and a 155 Holz I had available. Polaris has offered a 144 in their 550 for 2014 that looks very similar. I think the previous 144 skid offerings were coupled skids that were better suited to trail use. They may have some new calibrations to make it work in this shorter version.

- How much weight do you think you can lose by reducing the over-engineering required for the weight and power of a factory 800 versus the 440 fanner?

The 800 power and weight items that will remain will just be added durability. As far as weight loss the cooling system was around 15 Lbs, the lighter track will net around 15 and the skid will get me 1 or 2 Lbs. I might lose 1 when I shorten the tunnel. I would think I could lose a few on the engine and another 8 without any coolant. I am also working on some different options to use some pro parts on the belt drive to shave a little more weight and to get closer to a 2.8 ratio.
- What width ski center do you plan to run given a smaller/lighter rider?

I have not thought about the ski centers and will probably just try it as is for now.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 AM

Here are a few more pictures of progress. Hyfax attachment nut relocation, Rear axle slots squared out now, the assembled 141 next to a 155,and the donor sled engine.
The larger stock wheels will clear the rear arm return stop but will require an axle relocation. 8" wheels installed in the current shaft centerline will hit if the arm goes down all the way but when they get moved up may miss depending on where the radius of wheel ends up. If the return stop gets relocated inboard 8" wheels will work. I weighed the finished skid and it weighs 39.8 lbs on the bathroom scale, the stock 155 weighed in the same so I am happy it did not gain with the splice plates and less cut outs in the rails. The front and rear arms are a little narrow for the wider tunnel that it is going into so I am thinking I will have to make some wider shafts and make up some spacers to keep it centered in the tunnel. The bottom out snubbers for the rear arm ended up a little short on height as the new rails are not raised up there. I will order up some like the ones for the front arm to get the needed installed height. After all this I think a call to Ice Age for some custom built rails would have been worth it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3178.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	221117   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3182.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	221120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3113.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	221121  

Name:	IMG_3177.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	221122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3181.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	221123  

Last edited by Bushwacker1; 12-16-2013 at 10:13 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bushwacker1 For This Useful Post:
Reeb (12-24-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Currently: is it winter yet?
Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,407 Posts
Wheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwacker1 View Post
After all this I think a call to Ice Age for some custom built rails would have been worth it.
Its funny, as i was reading it that's all I could think.

I will commend you though, i have seen some wild shortened up skids and that is a really clean job of it.

Should be a really fun sled.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:49 PM

*I did consider ordering a set of rails but was unsure of what size rear wheels to order for. This was cheaper if you don't count the time spent.

*I am looking at the material needed to make some longer cross shafts. Does anyone know what material they are made out of ? McMaster Carr has many options available.

*I have some 2011 but think I should be using something stronger like 7075, or the more expensive 7068. Any experts on aluminum out there?

Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Currently: is it winter yet?
Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,407 Posts
Wheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute

what cross shafts are you speaking of?

most factory cross shafts are merely pot metal. in the suspension arms they might be 6xxx.

7075 is way better. but gets to be a pain to work with.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:03 PM

The front and rear skid arm shafts that connect the skid to the tunnel.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Currently: TOO MANY PROJECTS!
joshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 PM
joshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 12-17-2013, 07:20 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
volcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 AM

Click Here to Register

volcano buster (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:14 AM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Basic Member
AZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM

Click Here to Register

Scott (02-20-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 11:28 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 04-05-2014, 09:15 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Currently: Avoid Power Addiction(PAR) like the plague!
SnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond reputeSnoDmon has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 04-05-2014, 11:10 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushwacker1 For This Useful Post:
davegr (01-26-2015), mountainhorse (04-08-2017)