For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
slomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beacon=confused

I'm getting a bca float and im getting a beacon along with it. Question is that it comes with the tracker but I can upgrade and I'm not sure which one to go for. The tracker 2, pieps dsp sport, ortovox zoom+. I've been reading up on them and leaning towards the pieps. I know with any beacon key is practice, practice, practice. Any suggestions? thanks

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 11-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Currently: Back to basic soon!!!
mtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomobile View Post
I'm getting a bca float and im getting a beacon along with it. Question is that it comes with the tracker but I can upgrade and I'm not sure which one to go for. The tracker 2, pieps dsp sport, ortovox zoom+. I've been reading up on them and leaning towards the pieps. I know with any beacon key is practice, practice, practice. Any suggestions? thanks
Somebody will flame me for this, but here it goes anyways. You don't have to have the newest, fanciest, or most expensive beacon out there. We use old analog S.O.S beacons that are at least 12 years old. The best beacon you can have is the one you will wear everytime, keep fresh batteries in, and that you are competent and confident in using. So my advise would be, if you can, play with each one and see which one you feel most comfortable operating.

Edit again: one more opinion, I feel the simplest operating beacon is the best (again, just my opinion). In a time of stress such as a life and death search effort, ease of operation could be key.

Last edited by mtsummitx; 11-22-2013 at 07:21 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtsummitx For This Useful Post:
POWDR (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Basic Member
slomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond reputeslomobile has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately is all online so I can't see any of them first hand. My problem is i have zero experience with beacons and there are so many to choose from I don't know where to start. I read that the tracker is tired and trued but range is less and has a hard time with multiplies. Can't find to many reviews on the others so maybe they are less popular.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 PM
mtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond reputemtsummitx has a reputation beyond repute

I can't give any personal expierence on any of them. But, again my opinion, I wouldn't be too concerned with a multiple feature. Here's why. First, if everyone is following avalanche safety guidelines, you should not have to really worry about multiples. No multiples climbing same slope at same time, and nobody parking in runout path. I know, freak stuff could happen. But secondly, if multiple people with beacons are searching, knowing multiple people are buried I would hope 2 people would not be following each other to the same spot. Lastly, lets say you are riding in a group of 3, 2 of you get buried, how many people can you dig up at one time??? This sounds bad, but more than likely in that scenario you will only have enough time to save one, so you would go to the first one you find, dig them out, then on too what you can do for the second.

Horseford (12-05-2015)
Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Currently: Snow Dancin. Bring Em on Down
Basic Member
POWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsummitx View Post
Somebody will flame me for this, but here it goes anyways. You don't have to have the newest, fanciest, or most expensive beacon out there. We use old analog S.O.S beacons that are at least 12 years old. The best beacon you can have is the one you will wear everytime, keep fresh batteries in, and that you are competent and confident in using. So my advise would be, if you can, play with each one and see which one you feel most comfortable operating.

Edit again: one more opinion, I feel the simplest operating beacon is the best (again, just my opinion). In a time of stress such as a life and death search effort, ease of operation could be key.

Not gonna flame at all. Practice, practice, practice, then practice in high stress senarios (have friends yelling at you, etc). The beacon you are comfortable with is the one that is best.

When my beacon goes on my body, the power is on and the first thing I do is beacon checks with the party.

In fire we refer to high risk/low frequency situations. You want to practice these situations as much as possible so when to **** goes down you move through the situation automatically.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Currently: Waiting impatiently....
Meadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeMeadow Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

I have the tracker II and it is very simple to operate. I have not had any other beacons to compare to but this one is very easy to use. This was the one that Mike Duffy recomended in his avy class.

First trip of the Year

Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Basic Member
POWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond reputePOWDR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomobile View Post
unfortunately is all online so I can't see any of them first hand. My problem is i have zero experience with beacons and there are so many to choose from I don't know where to start. I read that the tracker is tired and trued but range is less and has a hard time with multiplies. Can't find to many reviews on the others so maybe they are less popular.
If you have no experience with beacons, i an guessing you have little experience with being avy savy. Not being a dick, maybe I am wrong. Ultimately, I am happy you are being responsible in getting prepared.

Start with classes. Read some snow science books, practice with your equipment (not just beacon-probe, shovel, extraction and stabilization/extraction), practice with friends.

Also, I use to be concerned about range. In my opinion, range is more important if you happen upon an incident. If someone in your party gets buried, you will make visual markers and easily pick up a signal.

Less important thant the beacon itself is your ability to use it. Also, go out and shovel some avy desbris just for kicks. Really to get your nuts kicked in. It is all about practical experiences. Having a beacon with the best range ain't gonna do **** if you are not practiced.Know your probe also. How it deploys, etc.

if I am involved in an incident, I am prepared for it well before it happens. I know who I am with and their skill set and what they will offer to an incident.

Maybe in a group on dude acts as an incident commander and does not search at all. He/she directs the group and commands the rescue mission, tries to contact outside resources, looks for secondary avy's, etc.

I like to mark the last place I saw the victim and the first place I pick up a signal either with a hat or some othe recognizable marker. If you lose the signal, you can always go back to where you first picked up the signal.

My ought is that the range is of less importance due to methodical searching practices.

I hope this all makes sense, I am a few deep on the good ol' Pendies after a long week

Old 11-22-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWDR View Post

I hope this all makes sense, I am a few deep on the good ol' Pendies after a long week
So that's why all the type slurr...lol!!

POWDR (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Basic Member

^^^^^^ oh man,myou are going to make me go and spell check tomorrow morning.......actually, I am far enough along that I may forget about this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to POWDR For This Useful Post:
mtsummitx (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Basic Member

thanks for all the input and yes it all makes sense. so should I stick with the basic tracker or upgrade to the tracker 2 a hundred bucks? or 35 for the pieps dts sport?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Currently: Having an awesome start to winter!
RobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertTrivanovic For This Useful Post:
mtsummitx (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 PM
RobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond reputeRobertTrivanovic has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertTrivanovic For This Useful Post:
POWDR (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 PM

Click Here to Register

RobertTrivanovic (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:49 PM

Click Here to Register

POWDR (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POWDR For This Useful Post:
mtsummitx (11-22-2013), RobertTrivanovic (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slomobile For This Useful Post:
mtsummitx (11-22-2013), POWDR (11-22-2013), RobertTrivanovic (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobertTrivanovic For This Useful Post:
mtsummitx (11-22-2013), POWDR (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 11-22-2013, 09:30 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtsummitx For This Useful Post:
POWDR (11-22-2013), slomobile (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to POWDR For This Useful Post:
RobertTrivanovic (11-22-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Currently: WEIGHTLOSS coffee.... It just works! PM for details!!
YAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to YAMA S For This Useful Post:
mtsummitx (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Currently: WEIGHTLOSS coffee.... It just works! PM for details!!
YAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond reputeYAMA S has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to YAMA S For This Useful Post:
POWDR (11-24-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Currently: Trygstad 872 T3-174. Giddyup
av8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond reputeav8er has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register