For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
User Product Reviews Honest product reviews by sledders for sledders.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Currently: 2012 RMK
Basic Member
Totally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Helmet Camera???????

I am looking to get a helmet camera. The go pro's seem heavy and bulky, also they stick out pretty far, but seem to have great picture, easy software and editing...

The "Countour" cameras are sleek with a great design, but have mixed reviews about not working well in low light conditions, complicated software and poor editing and sharing capabilities, and some of them just not working after a few uses.

Sony also has a camera, but i heard you can't record sound with it in it's waterproof housing.

I'm really leaning towards a contour. They have a few models from $179 to $349. The newest model allows you to use blue tooth from your phone to view footage and change settings...but is kind of costly.

Any thoughts from camera owners? Good or bad experiences with you helmet cameras?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Currently: Not set.
snowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond reputesnowman80 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Gopro heavy and bulky? Mine is pretty light and compact far as I'm concerned. Love my hero 2 by the way. I would recommend it every day of the week.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Currently: Let it SNOW!!
Ryan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond reputeRyan-41 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I have a drift cam and if I was to do it again, I would for sure buy a Go Pro, they have a ton of awesome technology with their newest cam!
Get a Go Pro, you won't be disappointed!

Ryan

Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Currently: Not set.
BigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond reputeBigTree has a reputation beyond repute

I've used the drift and gopro. Im using the drift at the current. The video quality is the same on the big 3. Id buy whatever you get the best deal on personally.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Currently: Waiting for new PRO
lucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond reputelucasMX358 has a reputation beyond repute

i have a go pro hero 2 but this year i went a different route. Check out the SPORTS-VUE 360...i love the cam, i posted a few videos awhile back with it...i love it over my GP2 super easy to use, remote contorled, viewing screen built into camera with playack options
2001, PRO-X 120

Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Currently: need a pro??????
CROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond repute

drift for me, lower profile, branches still grab it though, remote start&stop that is nice, video quality is good enough for me
2013 ktm 85
2013 ktm 200xcw

Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Basic Member
Totally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond reputeTotally has a reputation beyond repute

So I did a lot more research since my original post and found a few more cameras to choose from other than contour, gopro, and sony. Other brands include Midland, JCV, liquid image, muvi, ion air pro, and drift innovations.

After all my research I ended up forking over $400 and went with Drift Innovations Ghost Camera. It is fairly sleek, has a 2" built in LCD to use as a viewfinder, use for watching video, or going through the menu.
It's waterproof without a case, and you can change settings at any time while filming. It also has 4X digital zoom, and a 300 degree rotating replaceable lens so it can be mounted in any position.
It has Wifi and you can use your phone as a viewfinder or to stream or send videos out...
It also has a remote that can turn recording on off, switch to different picture modes, and take pictures. The remote has lights that flash or light up to let you know what mode the camera is in.
It also has a loop recording mode that records 5 minutes then begins erasing the last minute...so you can leave it on without using up all your memory card, but if Bigfoot runs across the road you can save the last 5 minutes of recording and become famous.

From all my research the Gopro Hero 3 had the best picture, followed by the new Sony Action Camera, and the Drift Ghost and Contour Plus2 came in third with about the same quality.

The Go pro however has to be mounted up and down rather than being able to rotate the lens and easily move it from helmet to hood... It also looks more obtrusive and would catch more wind and possible tree branches.

The contour is nice, but it is without a built in screen to see where your camera is pointing and watch replays, and see if you got the right shot.
It is also limited on changing camera settings without using a computer, and has no zoom or remote.

So I guess I will sacrifice having the best video picture for having a convenient unobtrusive, easy to use camera, that has it all (other than the best picture).

Thanks for the advice everyone. The camera should be here this week and I will update my post and include a video after getting some use out of it.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Currently: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...
347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute347strokin has a reputation beyond repute

Good write up.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Basic Member
Default Drift Ghost Update - Trial

I got the Drift Ghost last weekend.

After looking it over and trying it out around the house, everything on it seems to be really nice, other than the clip in mount it comes with. the clip screws onto the camera and allows users to easliy take it off a mount and clip into another mount. The clip barely makes a sound when locking into place and seems a little flimsy.

My biggest complaint comes from it's use in the field. I went for a ride, and after having it on for about an hour and a half (only 20 minutes of actual recording) the camera said the battery was too low and powered off. The battery indicator said it had plenty of life still. About an hour later, I turned it on and was able to record for about 10 minutes before it would't turn on anymore without charging.

If not recording, it would power off by itself after a few seconds of turning it on, still showing plenty of battery life (3 bars), but at the same time telling me it is too low. and must power down.

After looking at the more extensive online manual, I found that the battery does not do very well in cold temperatures, which explains how it worked fine until we reached the top of the mountain wher it was about 20 degress combined with wind chill from riding at 40mph.

Otherwise the video and pictures look great.

But the reality is, this camera is supposed to be made for skiing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling... Even their website has a picture of a guy skiing on the screen of the Ghost. How hard is it to make a cold weather battery? My buddy has a Contour Roam without any battery problems.

So now I am forced to get another battery that I will have to keep warm, maybe inside my jacket, and switch them when one gets too cold, or try an external case, which they do not make for this model yet.
Hopefully it does better in the spring, while riding in warmer conditions.

Frustrating to find something that seems almost perfect, but with a pretty big flaw if your a snowmobiler.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Currently: need a pro??????
CROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond reputeCROSSFIREMAN has a reputation beyond repute
Old 08-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Currently: How is 18/19 lookn'??
Readymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond reputeReadymedic has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register