• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What bike do you ride?

What bike do you ride with your Mountain Horse Kit?

• Honda CRF450

Votes: 51 8.0%
  • Honda CR500

Votes: 27 4.2%
  • Kawasaki KXF450

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Suzuki RMZ450

Votes: 10 1.6%
  • Yamaha WR450

Votes: 44 6.9%
  • Yamaha YZF450

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • KTM 450

Votes: 73 11.5%
  • KTM 500

Votes: 67 10.5%
  • KTM 505

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • KTM 525

Votes: 29 4.6%
  • KTM 530

Votes: 19 3.0%
  • Husaberg 570

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • Husaberg 650

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 47 7.4%
  • Other

Votes: 92 14.5%

• Total voters
A

AdamTBO

Dec 7, 2014
I have been very happy with my 08' YZ 450. It is dialed in perfect for 10k feet. I hand cranked it three times in one day on the first try when I was caught on an awkward road/birm transition.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
My dealer said they don't make a kick start option for my husky FC 450. Should be the same as the Kim right. Or is he wrong? Anybody know?

Depends on the year. On the ktm sxf, they stopped offering a kickstart kit recently. If i recall correctly, 2013 450sxf has old case so a kickstart kit can be added.
2013 dungey replica and 2014 450 sxf,xcf has the new (outer and centre)cases which saves 1/2 pound and can't have a kickstart fitted. If your fc450 is a 2014 or 15 (ktm years), then I believe the same applies and you can not get a kickstart.

Last edited:
B
Dec 17, 2015
I am looking at purchasing a 2014 KTM 450 SXF . This bike does not have a kick starter, only electric start. My question is when this bike sits outside over night at 0 degrees will that battery start the bike?

I have a 2014 factory edition 450 SXF, and I wouldn't bother with the kick starter. I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/4009150...=true&hlpv=2&chn=ps&lpid=116&ops=true&viphx=1

Less than a pound, and works great for cold starts.

S
Mar 8, 2008
Dono what output is, but the dealer said I could do heated grips or a light, but not both on at the same time. I've got a battery powered led light I plan on mounting onto handlebars. It will get me back to the truck. We don't ride at night

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Dono what output is, but the dealer said I could do heated grips or a light, but not both on at the same time. I've got a battery powered led light I plan on mounting onto handlebars. It will get me back to the truck. We don't ride at night

What bike? Even if not, you may as well still get both heated grips and light. It's surprising how much you do not need heated grips. When you have them off, you can be running the light (for visibility from the front; not because it's dark).

And if you need a LOT of light because you do get caught out in the dark, you have it and just don't run the grips on that run back. A stand-alone battery light likely won't give much light, won't last long, or is pretty heavy. By getting a light on the bike, you eliminate that.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

the output on the SX is 35 watts, what we don't know is the bikes amp draw and the excess available power. Also Trail Tech is working on a stator kit which solves the issue.

B
Dec 17, 2015
I just snagged a Factory edition 2016 450 SX as well! do you know the stator output and how many watts heated grip draw?

I tried running heated grips on my 2014 FE 450 SX, and the stator was not large enough to run the heated grips, kept making the battery go dead. I upgraded to a YZ450FX shortly after so I didn't play with it much after that, but you might be able to wire them differently and get them to work at a lower power level.

Sleddergal

Premium Member
Mar 11, 2015
Applegate, California
Timbersled...

It is truly amazing the ease of riding a Timbersled. I have been riding sleds for 8 years and within 1 hour was able to ride a Timbersled in the same areas. We took 4 new people out on Timbersleds and everyone said they are awesome and the learning curve is immediate.

D
Oct 10, 2017
Mounting a leftover Raw on my 2014 500 exc and can’t wait to rip up the cascades here in WA. This is my first setup and I have been researching how to dial the bike in. One question I haven’t got an answer to is if I fall in love with snow biking, which I’m sure I will, can I upgrade the suspension on the Raw to something like an LE or is buying a whole new kit necessary? Snow is falling in the mountains and I’m getting stoked.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Mounting a leftover Raw on my 2014 500 exc and can’t wait to rip up the cascades here in WA. This is my first setup and I have been researching how to dial the bike in. One question I haven’t got an answer to is if I fall in love with snow biking, which I’m sure I will, can I upgrade the suspension on the Raw to something like an LE or is buying a whole new kit necessary? Snow is falling in the mountains and I’m getting stoked.

I believe you can just add shocks if you choose. Tss is big also. There were also a few other differences but i think they were insignificant. Honestly though, you will be stoked on the raw. If i were you i would try to get on some other kits in different conditions and compare for yourself. You might want to spend money in other ways next year.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I have a 2014 factory edition 450 SXF, and I wouldn't bother with the kick starter. I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/4009150...=true&hlpv=2&chn=ps&lpid=116&ops=true&viphx=1

Less than a pound, and works great for cold starts.

Can I ask what you linked there? It doesnt go anywhere.

I have a the same bike with a Camso kit that I just purchased and haven't ridden. I'm new to the sport and I'm curious what you carry the helps you with starts.

Thanks

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
This a really strange poll. It seemx like it has been changed but now there are 5 different ktm 4 stroke choices but no 300 choice? Does it really matter if your riding a ktm 525 or a 530? Come on. Lets redo this for 2018 and do it right or get rid of this silly thing.

Premium Features