For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
slyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Default eco boost vs 5.0

i have a 27' enclosed (2 riders, 3 sleds) that i tow with my 2011 superduty diesel. a 200 mile roundtrip with a 3800 ft elevation change gets me 11.8 mpg. i also pulled it recently with my 2011 f-150 with 5.0 gas engine, surprised to get 11.0 mpg, same trip, same weight....my son pulled it today, 2011 eco boost, same trip, same weight, same speed, got 9.0 mpg...a power test between the two gassers on the same hill, both topped the hill at 80 mph, both floored, both in 3rd gear (as selected by the auto trans), his eco out accellerates the 5.0, but after that the trucks are very comparable...but i get consistently better mileage, .5 to 1.5 empty, hiway...about 2-3 better around town, 2.0 better with the trailer...nearly identical f-150s...both great trucks with no problems

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slyrydr For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (07-30-2012), christopher (09-05-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 AM
broncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond reputebroncoformudv has a reputation beyond repute

Good friend of mine bought one of the eco boost last summer and I have been very impressed with it. It is not the same as towing with my Powerstroke but it normally gets better fuel mileage while towing the same load and it sure as heck gets better mileage when not towing.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Currently: has reached his free limit
robertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond reputerobertyoke has a reputation beyond repute

same load, same road but not the same driver nor the same wind conditions.

when I go up to laramie, same truck/ trailer sometimes as high as 13 and others as low as 9. this last time was in the upper 9's, in 4wd on the way up and a windy biach on the way back. average mpg's with that trailer is 11.5 ish.
truck is a '10 mega cab dodge 6.7 cummins auto 3.73 rear, trailer is a 29' wells cargo fun waggon goosenecked tcw +/- 16,000 lbs

Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Currently: Liv'n the Dream everyday
Calvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond reputeCalvin42 has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a 2012 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0 and 3.73 gears. I did drive both the ecoboost and the 5.0 the same day and the 5.0 just felt a little better to me. Pulling my four place enclosed between 5,000 and 12,000 feet this weekend I averaged 11.6. Was very happy with the truck. I've had three diesels previously and no, it doesn't tow like a diesel, but I was surprised at how well it did. The engine felt strong and very snappy, sounded even better than my 2010 Mustang GT. Around town I've averaged 16.5 so again not too bad. From what I hear, the diesels get similar mileage with fuel anywhere from 60 to 80 cents more a gallon.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Basic Member
slyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond reputeslyrydr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertyoke View Post
same load, same road but not the same driver nor the same wind conditions.

when I go up to laramie, same truck/ trailer sometimes as high as 13 and others as low as 9. this last time was in the upper 9's, in 4wd on the way up and a windy biach on the way back. average mpg's with that trailer is 11.5 ish.
truck is a '10 mega cab dodge 6.7 cummins auto 3.73 rear, trailer is a 29' wells cargo fun waggon goosenecked tcw +/- 16,000 lbs
same driver, me, wind conditions were close to the same....about half the distance, wyoming, had about 15 mph quartering headwind, not identical, but close....although i reported just one trip, the mileage comparisons are representative of 2 trips each for the f-150s and several for the superduty..

Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Basic Member
Borderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond reputeBorderstaff has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good to hear that the 5.0 worked as well as the Ecoboost. I went back and forth on the 2 engines for a while and decided on the 5.0. I bought a 2011 in late Dec. and am taking it to West Yellowstone in 2 weeks and am interested to see what MPG I get. I may just have an open 3 place w/2sleds. The biggest reason for me to get the 5.0 was that it had a $2000 rebate and didn't cost the $900 upgrade ~ so it was $2900 less. I figured it would take me 4 years to make up that money in fuel savings based on Fords claimed MPG.

My truck is the 157" super crew (6'6" box). The best I've seen so far is 18.5-19 on the highway empty but it only has 2200 miles so far so that may improve when I break it in.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM
roni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else have news on the 5.0 mpg when empty and towing?
I'm looking at getting a super crew 157". I use the truck for work and would be using it for trips out west pulling a 4 place enclosed.
Have a 2010 gmc 5.3 with 3.08 rear gear and get like 19 hwy empty @ 60-65 and don't want that to drop much.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Basic Member
AZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an '11 5.0, 2wd, ext cab, 23k mi now on it.....company truck, so I don't drive it like a gramma.
At low alt here around Seattle, empty commuting mostly hiway, get's about 18.5 on the readout. Straight hiway driving about 70mph, 20mpg. Towing a 20' deckover trailer weighing anywhere from 8k to 14k lbs, get's surprisingly about 13mpg. Commuting + on/off at the jobsite gets about 15mpg.
That's a 2wheeler carrying avg 500+lbs in the bed at all times, little weeney tires pumped all the way up, and then some.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Currently: Watching SnoTel
clatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond reputeclatla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni87 View Post
Does anyone else have news on the 5.0 mpg when empty and towing?
I'm looking at getting a super crew 157". I use the truck for work and would be using it for trips out west pulling a 4 place enclosed.
Have a 2010 gmc 5.3 with 3.08 rear gear and get like 19 hwy empty @ 60-65 and don't want that to drop much.
I had an older chev with the 5.3 and 3.08 gears it really fell on its face when towing. It would only shift out of 3rd going down hill. Really glad I got a new dodge with the Hemi. 3.92 gears pulls my 23' enclosed very well and averages 10 MPG.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 PM
roni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond reputeroni87 has a reputation beyond repute
Old 07-29-2012, 12:50 AM
volcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 07-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Basic Member
bookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond reputebookoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Currently: Midnight Express to Bozeman
snokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Currently: Midnight Express to Bozeman
snokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond reputesnokaw has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Currently: Riding every chance I get
Basic Member
GlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond reputeGlennRMK has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GlennRMK For This Useful Post:
christopher (09-05-2012), miko (08-29-2012), roni87 (08-30-2012), snokaw (09-01-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Currently: Waiting
Dartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond reputeDartos has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM
miko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond reputemiko has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register