• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twin pipes on a 580 ?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Who has run PSI twins on a 580 ? How did they work ? Worth it or just more noise ? I have a 95 zr 580 I am building for my son to ride. I have a set of PSI twins that I am not 100% sure I want to install. I am sure I will lose some bottom end with twins. Any info would help, thanks

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I ran psi twins on a 580 years ago, and they worked ok after I get the jetting sorted out and got it clutched. It wasn't a night and day difference, but was noticable. I ran it that way for a year, and the following year did their 625 big bore. Had a blast on that sled! Back in the day it would give all the 670 doos and 700 polaris more than they wanted. I still have it and my 11 year old daughter rides it occasionally.:face-icon-small-coo

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
All the sleds i have owned I put PSI twins on and they work well i find even with my D&D motors they worked better then D&Ds pipes, Thats one thing tho they are Freaking loud!! BRAAAPPPPPppppppppppp

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
108 hp on dyno tech dyno. I never ran them but people who did around here worked great. My buddys kid has them on a powder special and it works well.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Ran them in mine... Loud as hell, but worked great. Made a difference for sure. Still kinda miss that sled. Wish it was still around. Didn't loose any reliability, easy to tune for. Worked better warm though.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
woop'n the 5

So which 580 ?

My expereince with that vintage suzuki motor and suzuki engines in general, pipes don't do much, more noise, move the power band around and mostly up.

Suzuki has traditionally had very mild porting and cat built pretty good pipes so not many pipe manufactures have feasted on cat bussiness. The upside is on the older single exhaust port 580 like the ext.....a god port job can really wake them up...........sort of a lost art now. But can't hurt much, wider exhaust port. the later 3 exhaust port ZR engines didn't respond as well to port work, but did quite well with the big bore kit, basiclly the 700 pistons.

The old twins pipes give you one nice upper mid range punch and its a trick to make the jetting work right there and capture that little poof of power.
For most the twins will be a pain in the butt and any gain will be off set by constant jetting attention especially if you ride elevations. If its an efi sled, run it at about 8250 and show it no mercy until the cases and crank finally cave in.

Premium Features