For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: IQ 2005-Current, all models in the IQ and IQ Raw chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Currently: Not set.
duckslayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine Issue/ Starting

Ok so i figured i might find someone on here who has run across this issue before.

I have an 08 700 CFI Dragon, Oil tank was 2/3 full in the fall, sled has sat except for a couple of start up to load/unload when moving it into garage to work on it. oil tank is now down near empty and if the sled sits for more than a week it takes a lot of pulls to start and then smokes like crazy for a 5-10 minutes after start up.

is there a possibility that check valves on case are stuck open allowing oil to feed into motor?
when i pulled my pipe this fall to do some work i had a decent amount of oil drain out from Y pipe.

Anyone had similar issue or know how to fix/check??

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Currently: 2013 PRO- R 800 w/3,500 TROUBLE - FREE MILES
Kraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond reputeKraven has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
Ok so i figured i might find someone on here who has run across this issue before.

I have an 08 700 CFI Dragon, Oil tank was 2/3 full in the fall, sled has sat except for a couple of start up to load/unload when moving it into garage to work on it. oil tank is now down near empty and if the sled sits for more than a week it takes a lot of pulls to start and then smokes like crazy for a 5-10 minutes after start up.

is there a possibility that check valves on case are stuck open allowing oil to feed into motor?
when i pulled my pipe this fall to do some work i had a decent amount of oil drain out from Y pipe.

Anyone had similar issue or know how to fix/check??
The "gravity feed" from that oil tank is not going to force the oil past the oil pump into the engine.

Smoke on start-up and oil in the pipe (within reason) is common.

If you're absolutely positively certain, certain, certain, for sure, for sure, you've "lost oil" over time, I'd look into the belly pan, under sled, soaked into trailer plywood, etc.......

Try marking the outside of the oil tank oil level with a magic marker, or fill it to the top.

Regarding the hard starting, pump out all the "old fuel", re-fill with fresh fuel and new spark plugs, and don't touch the throttle on start-up. Should start on the 2nd pull, EVERY time. After that, stator beginning to possibly fail?????????

Hope this helps
1999 XCR 800 SNO-CHECKED
1998 XC 700 SNO-CHECKED
1996 800 STORM SNO-CHECKED 1993 750 STORM
BYRON,IL '84

Last edited by Kraven; 01-01-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM

There is def no oil leaking from the sled onto floor, bellypan etc. the oil has gone from the tank to somewhere, and i figured its into the engine. last time she sat for a month and it took over 50 pulls and a set of new plugs to get her to finally turn over, and then smoke more than any sled ive seen. ran fine after starting up and burning off excess oil. sat for another month and now i cant get her to turn over at all, ive got 1/4 tank of gas... new gas no so maybe thats an issue

Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 AM

TTT

Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 AM

UPDATE>>>>

checked for leaking oil under belly pan and everywhere else...nothing. pulled plugs and they were wet dried them off and smelled inside plug holes and the motor smelled like heavy oil. put plugs back in and she started on third pull. Ran the engine for 15 minutes and after the first ten the amount of smoke decreased and she was considerably more snappy on throttle response. shut her down and noticed that under the exhaust on trailer floor was a heavy amount of burnt oil residue, much more than normal.

talked to the previous owner and he said he had added oil to fuel mixture last fall to fog motor and store....

interested to hear what anyone thinks

Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM

So i go out today, three days after she was started and ran for 20 minutes....and nothing i have zero burp or turnover after 20 pulls!

im at a loss and have run out of ideas....HELP!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:50 PM
tdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond reputetdorval has a reputation beyond repute

When you get back lets drain the gas, and put some fresh in and go from there. The oil situation does baffle me as well, we need to see what happens to it from now until you're back. That gas is old stuff though and could be causing the hard starts.