• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Trail Tank High Capacity Fuel Tank

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As part of the installation of my new MPI Supercharger, I knew I was going to need more fuel for the same number of riding hours. After looking at all of the additional fuel options on the market I decided to go with a larger main tank rather than with a separate tunnel mounted spare tank. When it comes to larger main tanks, "Trail Tank High Capacity Sled Tanks" pretty well owns the market.

I placed my order for a new tank several weeks ago and as far as I can tell, they built this one on an "As-Ordered" basis. Not sure if this is normal, or if they just don't maintain much stock in the middle of summer. Either way I was delighted to see it when it arrived this afternoon.

This is their installation instructions.
http://www.trailtank.net/ccllc/yamaha/ttyn_install.pdf

The tank arrived very clean in a well built box.
picture.php

The contents were completely clean, and VERY well packed
picture.php

Much to my surprise they threw in some goodies as well
T-Shirt, Hat, Beenie and a couple pens.
Honestly have no idea if they do this for everyone or not, but it was a nice surprise to find this under the tank
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The tank itself appears "Very Well" constructed.
Better than I had hoped for to be perfectly honest.

At this point I can not offer a true weight comparison between the OEM and the Trail Tank.

I need to fully drain out ALL of the residual fuel left in my tank, get an accurate dry weight on it, then transfer all of the hardware off of it and onto the Trail Tank so I can get a fair side by side comparison.

While the tank is VERY sturdy to the touch, no flexing at all, its also quite lightweight.

One thing to note, this tank has a textured surface, while the OEM tank is smooth. Not sure if this will have any impact on anything, but its noticable the moment you compare the two side by side.
picture.php

Looking Head On.
picture.php

The heat shielding, which is generously applied, makes taking the photo a bear.
picture.php

Side Winglett that wraps around the sled frame
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Side View
picture.php

Side Bottom
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Good photo showing the texture and structure of the tank, as well as the very clean job they did installing the fittings.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISONS.

OEM Tank = 7.4 Gallons.

Trail Tank = 10.1 Gallons

Net Extra Fuel = + 2.7 gallons or 36% more gas.

I am hoping that will more than balance out the addition of my new Supercharger and the extra fuel I will burn playing with it!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A Quick Test Fit.

It will likely be a couple weeks before I do the actual installation on this as I want to get the Super Charger fully installed first.

So this is just a quick test fit to get some idea how the tank mounts on the sled.

Torn Down Sled.
picture.php

Tank sitting LOOSELY on the sled.
Tank will need to move forward (to the right) at least another full inch before it will mate up with the two mounting bolts at the far left.
picture.php

picture.php

Clearly several of the cables and hoses will have to be moved to allow the winglets on the tank to come all the way forward. Looks like pretty much anything that is mounted to the "hoop" portion of the frame is going to have to be removed from the frame and relocated as the tank takes every square inch of space it can get.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A quick look from the engine side of the sled.
picture.php

Rider's Left Side Winglet
picture.php

Looking down on top of the spark plugs.
Clearly, this is going to be a TIGHT FIT when it gets mounted in there.
picture.php

Rider's Right side, showing where tank can not go forward to final mounting position because of interference with Cables and Hoses that will have to be relocated prior to final installation
picture.php

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
Chris i'm deff dropping your name so I can get all that free stuff to lol :face-icon-small-win I will need one of these also for the MCx turbo. I had forgot all about it till I saw your thread,,thanks for reminding me. Better get this pup ordered. I want to ask which heat tape did you go with,,the heavy one?? From your pics I see it is going to be tight.:clock: winters comming,,,things to do...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When I went to the web site to place the order I do NOT recall having any choice about which heat tape?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
im still not on board with the trail tank idea. i have seveal buddies who run one and its always a pain to take the hood off or loose a screw. i think they should build the tank with the zus clips in the plastic. i think with a little more r+d they could make it fit 100% better. i like the fact that you have 3 gallons more but you loose the screws you might as well loose the hood. this is just my opinion. chris i love your reveiws keep it up!!

G
Mar 13, 2009
Western NY
im still not on board with the trail tank idea. i have seveal buddies who run one and its always a pain to take the hood off or loose a screw. i think they should build the tank with the zus clips in the plastic. i think with a little more r+d they could make it fit 100% better. i like the fact that you have 3 gallons more but you loose the screws you might as well loose the hood. this is just my opinion. chris i love your reveiws keep it up!!

I hated the thumb screws also so I did something about it. I installed snap fasteners which makes removing the hood much easier and after running over 2000 miles last season they're still holding. I've had absolutely no problems and they look better than the thumb screws.

Trail Tank Snap Installation:
Order Summary: http://search.sailrite.com/category/fasteners-hooks-marine-snaps-canvas-fasteners
333115 Snap Fastener Machine Screw 3/8" Stud Flangeless #10-32 (5mm) $0.28
444777 Snap Fastener Button 11/64" (Stainless Steel) $0.22
444050 Snap Fastener Normal Action Socket (Stainless Steel) $0.22
25204 Snap Fastener Installation Tool $2.95

* The tool is cheap but works. You may want to find a local upholtery shop to install the snaps with a better tool.

DSC04572.jpg

DSC04606.jpg

1) Stud installation
DSC04590.jpg

2) Remove square pads around the holes on the backside of the hood
DSC04597.jpg

3) Drill out the holes with a 7/16" bit. A Unibit works well
DSC04599.jpg

4)Insert the snap socket into the hole and use a installation tool to secure the button to it
DSC04602.jpg

5)The hood is slightly lifted away from the tank due to the snaps so I used a heat gun to bend the rear corners down. If you do this only heat the inside of the hood and use low heat until the plastic just starts to soften. It doesn't take much heat.
DSC04611.jpg

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/grizztracks/Nytro trail tank snap fasteners/

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Trail Tank

If you know someone handy with a small lathe or 3 in 1 mill, they could put metric threads on the zues(sp) fasteners for a stock look. I always carried a couple of extra screws in case I lost one(never did). I didn't move any hoses or fasteners to install my TrailTank, but it took a few test fits(and some swearing ) to get it far enough forward!!

M
Jan 14, 2004
Not to poach this thread but if anybody is looking for a Trail Tank a buddy of mine is selling a nearly new one for @$200.00 plus shipping. PM me if interested. He is also selling the Skinz seat and Hood that are with the tank.

M5

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
I've gotta see your end result Chris, you've got me having a second thought about this trail tank. Sound like it's real tight which means I would think you better make sure everything is moved so no rubbing ocurs. And those screws look like they could use a litle more R&D work. Glad I'm watching you first,,as usual thanks Chris for the great documentation.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just as soon as the Supercharger is bolted on, I will do the Tank Install.
Hang in there a couple weeks and we should be ready to roll.

Premium Features