For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
imdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond repute
Default beacon bs.

why will using a sos or analog beacon kill(murder) myself or riding friends. i can use it and have practiced lots. sales guy asks what is my life worth. i think my buddy's beacon is more important, and that he knows how to use it. so will a 4 to 500 beacon be better equiped to save me than my old sos beacon. please explain. i'm not asking about what receiver my buddy or rescuer is wearing. just my transmitter

don't get me wrong i think the new digital beacons are the way to go.

Last edited by imdoo'n; 03-21-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Currently: Deploying Avalanche Airbags!
SnoWest Paid Sponsor
SnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

If you are the one buried, then it doesn't really matter which beacon you are using, as long as it is still transmitting on 457khz. Some of the older beacons have had "frequency drift" and may be a few cycles off of 457, therefore decreasing the range that your beacon can be found from. (A pieps DSP can check frequency drift of other beacons, so if you know someone who has a pieps DSP, they can check our frequency drift for you).

Also, new this year, the Ortovox 3+ has a new feature to help you if you are the one buried. The orientation of the transmitting antennae can have an impact on the distance you can be found from. There is an optimal orientation, a poor orientation, and worst orientation. The Ortovox 3+ a three-antenna beaconwith "intelligent position recognition system", which analysez the position of the antennas and automatically switches to the optimal transmitting antenna. There is no longer any such thing as the 'worst position'.

When it comes to searching with a beacon, I would definitely choose a Pieps DSP over an SOS. If I get buried and want to be found, I hope my buddy is wearing a Pieps instead of an SOS.

Hope all that helps.
509 Helmets & Goggles
Snowmobile Clothing

1-877-SNOW-BIG (1-877-766-9244)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SnowBigDeal For This Useful Post:
backcountryislife (03-23-2011), imdoo'n (03-19-2011), mynewuseddoo (10-13-2011), smokindave (03-20-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Basic Member
imdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond reputeimdoo'n has a reputation beyond repute

yes i agree, but you are talking about the receiver, the transmitter makes no difference. single transmit antenna, 1 orientation. so my beacon has really no effect on my ability to be saved. and i would think all beacons will have signal drift over time thus making no difference. so again how will wearing a digital beacon be better at saving the victims life.

a varity of beacon makes would be the best in a rescue situation. but difference does it make what the victim has on?

Last edited by imdoo'n; 03-21-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Currently: Husky 501 ARO LTLE
Basic Member
bdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default wrong

yes i agree, but you are talking about the receiver, the transmitter makes no difference. single transmit antenna, 1 orientation. so my beacon has really no effect on my ability to be saved. and i would think all beacons will have signal drift over time thus making no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBigDeal View Post
Also, new this year, the Ortovox 3+ has a new feature to help you if you are the one buried. The orientation of the transmitting antennae can have an impact on the distance you can be found from. There is an optimal orientation, a poor orientation, and worst orientation. The Ortovox 3+ a three-antenna beaconwith "intelligent position recognition system", which analysez the position of the antennas and automatically switches to the optimal transmitting antenna. There is no longer any such thing as the 'worst position'.
Hope all that helps.
the 3+ can give you a better chance that someone will find you. FASTER.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Basic Member

yes, but that again is in the receiver, nothing to do with the transmitter. transmitter signal pattern, will not change, unless a different antenna is used or a different signal. all the digital receiver has done is process the info for you. were as the analog sos receiver, you the operator must process info instead.

so how will a digital transmitter better able to save a avi victim.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Currently: going where no man has ever gone before
Basic Member
James T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond repute

The digital transmitter will be able to save a life faster when you have to switch it to search mode to find your buddy. Have you ever practiced with an SOS beacon and then tried a similar search with a digital beacon? Its like riding a 98 summit 670 vs a new M8. Try a multiple burial search, its like adding a turbo to the M8.

Sure, when you are the one buried your odds are quite similar weather you are wearing an analog SOS or a modern digital as long as your buddies arent trying to figure out how to search with an old SOS.

Your choice of beacons isnt just about you and how long it takes someone to find you....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James T Kirk For This Useful Post:
Goinboardin (10-14-2011), ROBERTSONYAMAHA (03-19-2011), smokindave (03-20-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoe22 View Post
yes i agree, but you are talking about the receiver, the transmitter makes no difference. single transmit antenna, 1 orientation. so my beacon has really no effect on my ability to be saved. and i would think all beacons will have signal drift over time thus making no difference.

the 3+ can give you a better chance that someone will find you. FASTER.
please explain how wearing this beacon will allow anyone to find me faster.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T Kirk View Post
The digital transmitter will be able to save a life faster when you have to switch it to search mode to find your buddy. Have you ever practiced with an SOS beacon and then tried a similar search with a digital beacon? Its like riding a 98 summit 670 vs a new M8. Try a multiple burial search, its like adding a turbo to the M8.

Sure, when you are the one buried your odds are quite similar weather you are wearing an analog SOS or a modern digital as long as your buddies arent trying to figure out how to search with an old SOS.

Your choice of beacons isnt just about you and how long it takes someone to find you....
again you are not answering my question, and yes i have. it is a lot harder, but can be done. you want me to turn my beacon off when we do a search for you. i think snowbigdeal has answered my question. thank you. i still feel the digital beacon is the way to go, just wanted some honest answers.

Last edited by imdoo'n; 03-19-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM
SnoWest Paid Sponsor
SnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond reputeSnowBigDeal has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdoo'n View Post
please explain how wearing this beacon will allow anyone to find me faster.
Because all beacons, regardless of whether they are one, two, or three antennae, only transmit on one antennae. Therefore if the transmitting antenna is transmitting on the one antennae with the worst antennae orientation, the range at which your beacon can be picked up will be decreased. The 3+ beacon recognizes which direction your transmitting antennae is oriented and switches to the best antennae for transmitting. (this is all the theory behind it; if you go out and play with multiple beacons and orient them differently, you will find that all beacons have areas in which they excel and other in which they do poorly).

My personal opinion: 99% of the time this will not help you and your SOS beacon will do just as well as long as it is still transmitting on 457khz.
509 Helmets & Goggles
Snowmobile Clothing

1-877-SNOW-BIG (1-877-766-9244)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnowBigDeal For This Useful Post:
imdoo'n (03-19-2011), nikeholley (11-27-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Currently: Husky 501 ARO LTLE
Basic Member
bdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond reputebdoe22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3+

when in transmit mode, the 3+ will pick the optimal antanae to transmit depending on how the beacon is situated. im not sure why you are not understanding this.

The Following User Says Thank You to bdoe22 For This Useful Post:
imdoo'n (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Basic Member
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 PM
SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to SnowBigDeal For This Useful Post:
imdoo'n (03-20-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 03-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Currently: Dirt Bike Season!
eddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond reputeeddy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:
2Thetopp (03-22-2011), nikeholley (11-27-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Currently: almost ready for winter
Thanked 5,322 Times in 2,763 Posts
backcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to backcountryislife For This Useful Post:
imdoo'n (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Currently: " "
heavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to heavy_haul For This Useful Post:
imdoo'n (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Basic Member
James T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond reputeJames T Kirk has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James T Kirk For This Useful Post:
backcountryislife (03-24-2011), imdoo'n (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imdoo'n For This Useful Post:
backcountryislife (03-24-2011), Goinboardin (10-14-2011), SnowBigDeal (03-24-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to James T Kirk For This Useful Post:
D-stroyer (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Currently: Great season with friends this year!
Thanked 1,120 Times in 579 Posts
Matte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Basic Member
PCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond reputePCDan has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Currently: I dont have ADD,its just---Hey look a Squirrel
Basic Member
Pinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond reputePinebeatle has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Garage

Click Here to Register