• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Truck?

Best overall truck?

• Ford F150

Votes: 277 32.1%
  • GMC Sierra 1500

Votes: 65 7.5%
  • Chevrolet 1500

Votes: 61 7.1%
  • Chevrolet 1500HD

Votes: 137 15.9%
  • Toyota

Votes: 85 9.8%
  • Dodge

Votes: 239 27.7%

• Total voters
C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Yep you'd be amazed at how well these things tow, its effortless and so smooth! Hard to believe its not a diesel.

...and Tundra's really, lets save this thread for discussion of real trucks...

your on crack. Realy? it feals like it has 350 hp and 800 ft pounds of torque? REALY? hmmmm....

I put about 10,000 miles on 09 ford work truck and it was a nice truck. Throw in a head wind adn a hill and 80 was hard to hold. Had plenty of hp to get around but i wouldn't buy a new one. The rapters are preety cool but honestly you can't beat the new chevy and gmc trucks. Best overall fuel economy, good power, and they are like riding in a cady. The tundras are good trucks and make lots of power but, they don't hold their resale any better than any other truck. Also, seams like alot of hte people who come into our shop are disapointed in the fuel economy.

if anyone wants to talk power, i have a duramax engine siting in my shop right now that will be capible of 700+ hp. Ford ECO boost my ***. We are talking about the BEST, not what just gets the job done. I have owned every brand of truck for the most part in the last few years and if i didn't own it i know i have worked on it. Truth is, they all will get the job done.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
your on crack. Realy? it feals like it has 350 hp and 800 ft pounds of torque? REALY? hmmmm....

I put about 10,000 miles on 09 ford work truck and it was a nice truck. Throw in a head wind adn a hill and 80 was hard to hold. Had plenty of hp to get around but i wouldn't buy a new one. The rapters are preety cool but honestly you can't beat the new chevy and gmc trucks. Best overall fuel economy, good power, and they are like riding in a cady. The tundras are good trucks and make lots of power but, they don't hold their resale any better than any other truck. Also, seams like alot of hte people who come into our shop are disapointed in the fuel economy.

if anyone wants to talk power, i have a duramax engine siting in my shop right now that will be capible of 700+ hp. Ford ECO boost my ***. We are talking about the BEST, not what just gets the job done. I have owned every brand of truck for the most part in the last few years and if i didn't own it i know i have worked on it. Truth is, they all will get the job done.

No bash, but go drive the Ecoboost. I will bet you would be surprised. They run very well. No, they do not have the pulling power of the 6.7, but they are still very healthy.

Again, no bash, just what I found out when I drove one when I picked up my new 6.7 SD.

Sam

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Anything but the toyota, the Chevrolet 1500hd is a mix between the 2500 and the 1500. It likes to drink the gas. Buddy of mine got a 08 F-150 with 30,000km(19,000 miles) and he likes it, going from an 03 Avalanche. Only thing he wishes he would've done is gotten the 6 speed transmission.

It all really depends on what you're wanting to do with the truck. Don't underestimate what you're going to do, it's best to over estimate, so you won't ever be disappointed in it.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
one thing i notice is that people buy toyota and nissan trucks expecting better mpg... Hate to break it to ya guys but gm and ford do have their **** together. They get way better fuel economy.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Hook a trailer onto em(foreign trucks) and then you'll really see the mpg go to heck.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Hook a trailer onto em(foreign trucks) and then you'll really see the mpg go to heck.
My Tundra crewcab gets the same towing mileage as my 1500 Sierra extended cab did and uses a little less gas unloaded (slightly). Same size and brand of tires, same boat to tow, same driving habits. I doubt many of you have owned both to compare.

I sell Toyotas so I wish I could tell you they do WAY better on fuel economy. But to be brutally honest, I've driven a LOT of trucks of all brands, and have come to the conclusion that all the V8 4x4 1/2 ton's get roughly the same mileage. Depends more on driving style, tires, and terrain more than what emblem is on the hood.

M

MGM

Dec 2, 2007
Southern Idaho

Nice post :face-icon-small-dis This has to be the most ignorant post I've seen in a while, I shouldn't even respond but...

Could you point out where I said it had 800ftlb of torque? No I said it felt like a diesel by that I mean it has a long flat torque curve. Is it going to replace a diesel, absolutely not but for the person who doesn't need a 3/4-1ton truck it sure is a nice option.

And how would I be on crack for giving an opinion about something I've actually driven and towed with compared to diesels, yes even you're precious Duramax...?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have a Tundra. Absolutely love it. When I bought it in 2007 it just blew the competition away. Nothing was even close. It's 2012 and everyone else has caught up and maybe passed it a little. Says a lot for a truck 5 years old. Can't wait to see what the new Tundra looks like and has under the hood. For sure it will be another leap past the competition. That said the mileage SUCKS! I get 13 around town and 7 max 8 towing in the hills. I drive fast loaded or unloaded but still 7 MPG towing a 6000 lb load? Toyota should subsidize my fuel bill they should be so embarrassed. I had to install a 46 gallon gas tank to get any kind of range. I hate to be in the mountains with 10 gallons of gas in the tank and some times that was forced on me. Also put air bags on it and am very happy with them too.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
I have a Tundra. Absolutely love it. When I bought it in 2007 it just blew the competition away. Nothing was even close. It's 2012 and everyone else has caught up and maybe passed it a little. Says a lot for a truck 5 years old. Can't wait to see what the new Tundra looks like and has under the hood. For sure it will be another leap past the competition. That said the mileage SUCKS! I get 13 around town and 7 max 8 towing in the hills. I drive fast loaded or unloaded but still 7 MPG towing a 6000 lb load? Toyota should subsidize my fuel bill they should be so embarrassed. I had to install a 46 gallon gas tank to get any kind of range. I hate to be in the mountains with 10 gallons of gas in the tank and some times that was forced on me. Also put air bags on it and am very happy with them too.

I know your a yota fan, and they are very nice trucks!! I hope at some point you give a new breed Ford/GM/Dodge a look.....specifically the Ford. My last F150 (2010) was the nicest driving, best pulling half ton I had used, prior to driving a new ecoboost F150. The F150 6 speed trans works amazing for pulling trailers. We pulled a 7x21 ft vnose from Michigan to WY with 4 sleds, 4 guys, and tons of gear ....aprox 8k lbs and we got between 9.5-11.5 mpgdepending on who was driving and the conditions.

M
Jul 11, 2008
Loving the 2011 5.7L 6.5' bed tundra!
I had a 02 GMC 3/4 ton short box extended cab with the 6L gas motor that I put a turbo on. always 10mpg until I turboed it, then 6-7mpg. Nice truck as well, sold it with 142K. I thought I would end up with a duramax but drove the tundra.
I put airbags on it, and run a sled deck just fine. All summer long it pulls a mastercraft x2. Amazing brakes, good power, but the seats aren't as comfy as the chevy's, and it rides like a truck more than the chevy.
I get ~14 around town empty, 18 hwy @ 60mph, 10mpg with sled deck 2 sleds and 70-75mph, and 10-11 towing boat. this is with 3" lift and larger Toyo MT 275/65/20.

C
Mar 20, 2011
My dad has a 04 f150 and hauling our 22ft 5th wheel you can feel it alot and it shifts down alot and you can really hear the thing working up inclines,even pulling the sleds you can feel it. He's always been a gas guy didnt do much hauling but now switching to cummins. Also the mpgs suck we get about 13mpgs empty if were lucky and probably around 10 or worse loaded and thats hauling the sleds or 5th wheel it dont matter. Also did i mention the box is only 5.5 ft it sucks for anything. Ride aint that bad i had back surgey so maybe it me but i find the seats to stiff and on long rides its a pain i find it starts to hurt after a while seats and headrests are arked forward to much and stiff. Im getting my liscence in a few months for my first vehicle/truck iv'e worked my as$ off and we have done a partial resto a bunch of mods and a 6'' lift on my 93 cummins. Cant complain about that truck will haul anything comfy as hell and reliable no electronic or computer b.s like new trucks. Only thing is rides stock is a bit ruff but my lift and skyjaker nytros fixed that. My dads selling his ford and were putting a first or second gen cummins in a 1985 dodge crew cab long box and converting it to 4x4 and giving it a 4'' lift and doing a full resto on it. Honestly for a new truck id go chev or dodge for gas or diesel i wouldnt go ford or toyota etc. For diesel i like duramax or cummins. It's up to you and what you need the price difference is big between gassers but you can haul anything and will get better mpgs. But honestly to me its like old muscle cars you cant beat old trucks like the old cummins plain simple reliable and easy to work on and no electronics and computers/chips like on new trucks. Plus my truck has more power then i need stock it had 160hp/4--ft lbs. on the dyno im hoping to break 400hp/900 ft lbs but for sure should be over 350/800. My thought dodge or chev. Good luck with your choice

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado

Don't worry that much about the mileage. If you're running fast that is what they all get. It takes dinosaurs to make power!

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
My choice !

I have had 22 gm products and loved everyone of them ! Wish I still owned all of them .

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Mtgoat. Good to hear you have had good luck. I dont know much about the chevys but the 2001ish international (super duty diesel) did very well stock also. However, leaving a diesel truck stock for reliability stops about there. The new emissions on diesel trucks is killing the engines (egr, dpf etc.) which are not on your truck (i dont believe) The majority of "bulletproofing" a modern diesel is simply emissions equipment removal. I would not leave any brand new diesel stock for reliability.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
na8yhysy.jpg

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I know your a yota fan, and they are very nice trucks!! I hope at some point you give a new breed Ford/GM/Dodge a look.....specifically the Ford. My last F150 (2010) was the nicest driving, best pulling half ton I had used, prior to driving a new ecoboost F150. The F150 6 speed trans works amazing for pulling trailers. We pulled a 7x21 ft vnose from Michigan to WY with 4 sleds, 4 guys, and tons of gear ....aprox 8k lbs and we got between 9.5-11.5 mpgdepending on who was driving and the conditions.

We did the same with a our 09 Suburban 1/2 ton 5.3L. same size 7x22 foot with 4 sleds, gear and all and got 12-13 MPG. Long trip from Michigan to Wyoming. Well worth it. We do it with my duramax now.

Premium Features