For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Cameras All things Still Photography

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Currently: Another happy Pro rider !!
High Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best/safest way to pack a camera ?

I just purchased a Canon Rebel T2i with the 18-135 kit lense (totally new to DSLR's, so I've got lots to learn). I'm looking for opinions on the best type of pack to use that will also have space for my avy gear and other essentials. I checked out a few Lowe Pro waterproof packs on line, but can't tell by the pics if they have provisions for shovel, probe, etc. Thanks for any advice.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Currently: Loves riding with his son.
SledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond reputeSledGimp has a reputation beyond repute

I have a riser bag and custome cut foam layers the form a snug fit for the camera on all sides. I then glued the layers together with contact cement. The camera fits in the bag perfect and does not get beat up.

I used an electric carving knife to cut the foam.

Handicap my @$$, Sit down Shuttup and Follow me.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
yukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond repute

I have mine in a Pelican 1200 case. Its a bigger case, but the camera will be safe no matter what. It is water proof, dust proof, and shock resistant. It could probably be attached to your tunnel somewhere.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Basic Member
yukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond reputeyukonrider has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledGimp View Post
I have a riser bag and custome cut foam layers the form a snug fit for the camera on all sides. I then glued the layers together with contact cement. The camera fits in the bag perfect and does not get beat up.

I used an electric carving knife to cut the foam.
Do you have a picture or two of this setup? Interested to see how it works

Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Currently: Bored
HighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of companies make back country camera packs but none seem to made to carry a shovel properly. Dakine and burton make a pack and it is to easy to use the board straps to hold the shovel head. fstop and clik make some nice bags as well. Check out this link camera bags

Last edited by HighMark Adventures; 01-18-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Currently: And now... we wait...
PowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond reputePowderCrew has a reputation beyond repute

I use a handlebar bag from Snobunjee... pouches on both sides that zipper shut and have an overlay flap that velcros. Waterproof material. Camcorder in one pouch, digital camera in the other.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to PowderCrew For This Useful Post:
christopher (12-27-2014)
Old 01-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Currently: Doing yard work.....
Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,950 Posts
94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute94fordguy has a reputation beyond repute

I also keep my camera in my handlebar bag. Being that I don't wear a back-pack, I consider it to be the safest and smoothest place on the machine for it to be, as well as keeping it close at reach. Also a fan of the snobunjee bag, it has room for both cameras and a few other normal things... map, flagging tape, flashlight, etc.

Support Public Access to Public Land

13 PRO RMK 800 162 VEI Custom
12 Ford F-350 Lariat C/C S/B 4x4 6.7L Powerstroke...124K
08 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4
06 Kawasaki ZZR 600
05 RMK 900 166 Anniversary Edition #850 6,693 Miles
02 Interstate 19' Enclosed

Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
acinbc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonrider View Post
I have mine in a Pelican 1200 case. Its a bigger case, but the camera will be safe no matter what. It is water proof, dust proof, and shock resistant. It could probably be attached to your tunnel somewhere.
I have a Vanguard hard case mounted on the back of my tunnel. The case is water proof and that is a must with your camera equipment. The fact that it is shock resistant is a plus as well. I carry a DLSR body with a 18-200, flash, extra battery, 10-20 wide angle lens and lens cleaning supplies. I carry a couple of extra lens filters which help with blue skies and bright snow.

Any time I come across the small pouches of silica that are shipped inside electronic boxes I toss those in as well.

On my back is every thing that I need to save my life or my buddies. Under the seat is rope , tie straps, tools and such. Handle bar bag has other stuff.

The hard case works great. Keeps my camera gear dry and safe and considering that its worth as much as the sled thats key.

The Following User Says Thank You to acinbc For This Useful Post:
Vics Action Shots (12-27-2014)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 AM
High Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond reputeHigh Velocity has a reputation beyond repute

I really appreciate all the replies so far. I had thought about going with a Pelican case originally, but after searching through old threads, I wasn't sure as others had said that the vibration and shock of being mounted on the tunnel would damage the camera. I thought that was kind of strange since I carry my $400 Fluke multimeter in a Pelican case and had it fall off the back of my truck (forgot it was there) at 30+ mph, bounce down the road and still it is fine. I think I would still lean towards a pack designed for cameras if it also had provision for avy gear.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Xrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond reputeXrider has a reputation beyond repute

Skidoo makes a heated riser bag.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM
toddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond reputetoddb has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Currently: The person Elky looks up too.
Thanked 3,823 Times in 2,147 Posts
NorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to NorthMNSledder For This Useful Post:
christopher (12-27-2014)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Currently: almost ready for winter
Thanked 5,322 Times in 2,763 Posts
backcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to backcountryislife For This Useful Post:
Vics Action Shots (12-27-2014)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Currently: Bored
HighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond reputeHighMark Adventures has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Dunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond reputeDunatic has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dunatic For This Useful Post:
christopher (12-27-2014), Xrider (01-21-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Basic Member
powderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond reputepowderpilot has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Basic Member
EOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond reputeEOS has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Currently: almost ready for winter
Thanked 5,322 Times in 2,763 Posts
backcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond reputebackcountryislife has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Vics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Vics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond reputeVics Action Shots has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 14,849 Times in 7,047 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 12-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Currently: Let it snow !!!
donbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to donbrown For This Useful Post:
christopher (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 06:29 PM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 14,849 Times in 7,047 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 12-30-2014, 01:36 AM
Currently: Let it snow !!!
donbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to donbrown For This Useful Post:
christopher (12-30-2014)