For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Electronics Beacons, GPS, communication systems, etc.....

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Currently: Trying to make it go faster.
Brian has disabled reputation
Garage
Default In-Helmet radios with Midland / Rino / others.

So I am the first to fully admit that I'm new to sleds... My background is on ATVs, but several things I do there seem to translate well to the sled world.

In the ATV world, we've been using Midland GTX1000VP4 FRS / GMRS radios. They are a full 5-watts on GMRS, they are completely waterproof, and most importantly, you can pull out the rechargeable battery and swap it with AA batteries on the fly. Link to the Midland radios is here. I can tell you with 100% certainty these are the best basic FRS/GMRS radios on the market, hands down.

Attached to the Midland radios, I use a kit that installs right inside the helmets (earphones and microphone are embedded right inside). Out of the helmet a cable runs and connects to a "push to talk" button that's mounted right on the handlebars, and then connected to the radio. The point is that riders can talk to each other and hear each other from right inside their helmet... And the transmit-button can be pushed without taking their hands off the machine. Link to the helmet-kit I use is here.

The radios are easily attached to the handlebars with zip-ties. I find they hold better than any of the mounts I've attempted.

In other words... For around $120, you can get two radios and two helmet kits and two riders can talk easily to one another.

NOW... I'm looking at replacing my entire setup with the Rino 530hcx radios for the SOLE reason that I want the ability to see where the other riders are in the group at any given time. However, I've been hesitant to do so because I have such a significant investment in my helmet-radio kits (8 helmets across 6 different machines, which obviously comes with a pile of radios too).

I just learned, however, that the speaker / mic pinout on the Rino is -IDENTICAL- to the speaker/mic pinout on the Midland radios that I use... Which is good for several reasons...

1) For guests, I can continue to use my Midland radios and don't need to ask everyone in the group to buy a Rino.

2) All of my existing helmet kits are compatible with BOTH radios (in other words, someone can sit down on a machine, and regardless of whether it's my new Rino or the Midland radio, their helmet can plug right in).

3) The helmet kid for the Midland is significantly cheaper ($30) than the helmet kit designed for the Rino ($50).

THE POINT IS SIMPLE: You can safely and CHEAPLY use a combination of the Rino and the Midland radios I've mentioned above, since the helmet-kits are completely interchangeable, and both radios are very capable, high-power, and durable.

The only remaining question is how well the quick-disconnect works if you become dismounted from your sled. The quick-connect literally "pulls apart". The question is, will it safely separate, or will it damage the wire as it pulls apart?

I'm going to test the heck out of it this weekend. I will return and report.

Last edited by Brian; 12-17-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 12-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Currently: I have madpow disease
firecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond repute

that is alot of work there....what I use is a mic\speaker with the radio in my pack I can hear as i ride and also talk as i ride....this set up works!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to firecatguy For This Useful Post:
christopher (12-24-2010)
Old 12-18-2010, 06:59 AM
firecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond reputefirecatguy has a reputation beyond repute

we have a guy who uses his rino 2way and it works just fine with our radios

Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Currently: Not set.
tmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond reputetmk50 has a reputation beyond repute

We just use the simple earbuds and stick the radios in our jackets. The only time we use the radios is when we are stopped and figure out that someone is stuck/separated so those work for us.

I like firecatguy's set up better - I don't want any wires attached from me to the sled. I'd break those within a half day ride, but I'm sure that setup would work for a lot of other riders.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:04 AM
flyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy103 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone tried the throat mic setup that motorola makes? Been planning to try these for a couple years but havent gotten around to it yet.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Tonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond repute

I sure like my chatterbox radios. We talk a long way with other radios or rhinos, and don't have any cords hanging around anywhere because, it clips to the side of my helmet, easy to use controls, mics and ear speakers available for many helmet configs. They even have blue tooth now so the phone or ?? can be listened to while riding.

Priceless when sweeping a high steep rocky slope and coming down through a mine field. The guys down below can alert you of dangerous conditions with out your hands leaving the bars.

cons:
spendy, separate gps, some difference in channel numbering.

If ya ain't gonna Cowboy up..... get yer dainty be-hind back in the truck!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Currently: Building Race Engines
Engine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

X2 for the Chatterbox. We use these and they have never let us down. Clear reception and easy to use. They have a voice activation or a push to talk button. I like the ptt button just to make the mic engagement easier >>>>.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Currently: No snow again this year. Arrrgh
toesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond repute
Default ChatterBox GMRS X1

As to the Garmin or Collett, both require extra wires and the Collett even has an external battery pack to deal with. As Tony has said, the ChatterBox is totally contained on the helmet. 9 ounces incl the battery. Collett battery pack alone weighs like 14 ounces, nearly a pound!

ChatterBox GMRS X1 claims up to 5 mile range. That won't happen. They are good out to about a mile or a little better in the right conditions. VOX or Push to Talk, water resistant and very rugged. I have had the same unit for 6 years. As to bulky, you won't feel it on the helmet. The 2 nine year old girls that we sometimes ride with don't notice them.

Also, Collett has a very short range in offroad applications. You can expect about 300 yards, and they won't talk with other handheld brands. ChatterBox will.

Talk and recieve on the fly, battery good for about 14 hours. 15 channels and TONS of side channels. Simple.

Yep, I sell ChatterBox. X1 now only $170
ED
775-230-6032

Old 12-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Currently: Building Race Engines
Engine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond reputeEngine Pro 5x has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

This the model I prefer !!! >>>>.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 15,181 Times in 7,182 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecatguy View Post
that is alot of work there....what I use is a mic\speaker with the radio in my pack I can hear as i ride and also talk as i ride....this set up works!!!!!
You can REALLY HEAR THIS when your in motion????

Old 12-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Currently: " "
heavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond reputeheavy_haul has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 12-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Currently: No snow again this year. Arrrgh
toesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond reputetoesmack has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Flattracker is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register

Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 02-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Currently: team long track
danduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond reputedanduvall has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Currently: Ayuh
Basic Member
Skidor is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register

Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Currently: needing a new sled
Thanked 1,142 Times in 607 Posts
1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute1MEX has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Currently: Snowest elder statesman
Jeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Tonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Currently: Snowest elder statesman
Jeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond reputeJeff C has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-26-2018, 11:44 PM
Basic Member
lucyjohn987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register

Old 08-27-2018, 07:04 AM
Currently: Alpha Hawk!
Thanked 1,032 Times in 506 Posts
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-20-2018, 03:04 PM
Basic Member
HenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register