For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Member Sled Builds A forum for building a project or mod sled.... Not just your common "Mods", but full on sled build projects.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Currently: Waiting for SNOW!
kinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Craigslist special build

Hey everyone just thought I would start a thread on a build I recently completed on my trail sled. Sorry its a flatlander but I do have the MTX parts to convert when I head west.

I bought this already supercharged as a craigslist special in 08. It was said to run perfect, lots of updates, yadda yadda yada I knew better
Here is the sled as I pulled it in my garage:

Cosmetically it was a mess the sled had 2500 miles on it but looked like 25,000

Here are some of the detail shots you can see how shotty this thing was:

If it was this bad on the outside I knew the inside might not be good. So off came the head and I added a shim to lower the CR to 10:1 for 10-11lbs of boost at sea level, actually it all looked real good!

After that it was clutched (old clutching was all messed up) and dynoed ~241 hp so I knew it was strong.

Once assembled on a "go or blow" durability session it 'blew' and lost all power 30 miles into the ride in a massive drift at WOT, off came the head and low and behold it dropped a valve! Yeah l had never heard of this before, upon closer inspection and investegation with the torn belt guard, poor clutching, and valve seat damage it was determined that the previous owner had the clutching all screwed up and it was getting the belts hot and when they blew at 11,000 rpm the rev limiter couldn't kick in fast enough and floated the valves in the head. The block, pistons, rings all were great. So I got a used head off a near new engine and swapped Ulmer for my old one to use as a race head and I took the new stocker.

Before hitting the trails I added the BPE gauge pod and essential gauges to keep track of everything:

I then took it on its maiden voyage to the UP for its first trip:

It worked great but the Mono suspension was horrible and it was going lean at extended high RPMS. Up next was the install of the ZX2 rear suspension that I had from my previous RX1 on nitrous. I friggen LOVE this suspension it makes the sled feel lighter and I just love hitting the big moguls on the trail with it! I got hard riders having a hard time keeping up with me on revs. Amazing (or I'm just more stupid for going that fast)

I went with a Walboro 255lph in tank pump and replaced the stocker, it was a little bit of a mod to get it in tank:

Voila worked great for the first season!

Last edited by kinger9; 11-16-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinger9 For This Useful Post:
justinkredible56 (07-09-2012), Scott (06-25-2012)
Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 PM
kinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond reputekinger9 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that the sled was running perfect I decided to give it a little mini makeover on a budget and got a artic fx kit and new windy:

I thought it looked good and I put on 1800+ miles after the head and wow it was flawless, ran perfect all the time except for a idle problem it would wander other then that this was my first boosted sled and with a cobra track and studs it really has some pull on a nice hardpack trail.

I thought you mountain guys would get a kick out of this:

For this year the mod list expanded and expanded as I found more and more good deals on parts over the summer.

I changed my color sheme to this:

Then I bought a turbo hood and I needed to relocate the gauges to the bars and have it look good, so I made a waterjet cutout of a gauge panel then bent it to fit and ended up with this:

I think it turned out great. Next up was the drive shaft swap and when I opened the chain case I found this sludge, better change my fluid more often

While in there I was able to make a 25T gear I had laying around fit with my 42T lower (dont ask it came with the sled) so I can get some top end out of it. I hit 144 last year on the dream meter and it ran out of gear.

Next up the boards looked like absolute crap so I roughed them up and got some truckliner in a can:

Ended up with this finish:

Looks real good we'll see how it holds up, I know a few guys that have said its durable as heck.

Next up my seat wasn't going to match my new colors so I dyed with VHT vinyl dye, it worked amazing, never thought it would do this well. I pinched the seat afterwards and its embedded into the vinyl nothing to flake off or anything:

All done

Lastly I added some Ohlins shocks from a 08 apex man they look nice cant wait to ride them, never had ohlins up front before!

Then final assembly of the new water dipped panels, water jet cut out plate on tunnel, CR racing turbo hood and trail tech HID lights

My favorite pict - The predator (Raptor from jurassic park)

An outside shot:

Thats the skinny of it, lots of detail went into it but if anybody has any questions let me know.

Appreciate the feedback. I already have plans to make it a convertible and swap between a 121 and 162", I have never been in the mountains so when it comes time I will need some help.

Thanks guys keep up the builds!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinger9 For This Useful Post:
Goinboardin (09-08-2012), justinkredible56 (07-09-2012), Matte Murder (07-19-2012), Reeb (12-16-2011), Scott (06-25-2012)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Jonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond reputeJonce has a reputation beyond repute

That's a cool build!

Once you ride the mountains, it's hard to go back to the trails or the UP for that matter. I think the UP is fun to ride if you hit the power lines and off trail riding. How does your sled work up there in the powder?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 AM

I dont have any complaints off trail with the sled. I do have slydog powderhounds on it and it floats the sled surprisenly well. I have never got into anything terribly deep and if i had to stop and start it may be difficult but so far running power lines and in 3-4' of fresh snow it worked good.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Currently: Trees are not for me!!or my son..
The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Thanked 1,086 Times in 662 Posts
Snow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond reputeSnow Duck has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

All you need is a 151 or a 156 on that baby....looks good i do like the colors....

Old 11-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Currently: Snow!!!!
fordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond reputefordpickupman has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Default Water Dipped

that is a cool process, and the results are sharp....

Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 PM

Thanks guys love the feedback. I do have 151 extensions for the Zx2 the wheels have been spinning, maybe next year...

Old 12-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Finally going 151, will update progress as I make it!

fordpickupman (12-20-2011), Reeb (12-16-2011)
Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM

Got a chance to work on the sled again. Going to run a 151" but not as a mountain sled but as a trail/crossover. I'm inching my way slowly into mountain riding but still love trail riding in the midwest.

Started witha brand new unique track on ebay a predator 1.25" lug by 13.5" wide by 151" long. I have never seen this track and while I knew it would take some mods to with my plastic ZX2 suspension and I already had 151" ZXtend kit it was a perfect match. I had debated for a long time of trying to sell the 151" ZXtend and get 144" which has better track choices but the market isn't exactly hot for a $300 extension kit for the ZX2. So this should work out great being equivalent in sq-in surface area to a 136x15 track. Only down side was I had to cut the windows and clip it

Cutting with a sharp razor seemed to work well:

Model number of track for those interested:

Adding the clips:

151" tunnel extension all coated and ready for mock up:

Custom U cooler fits perfect into the extension:

Next up my plan to make the 13.5" wide track work on the ZX2 was to add a idler wheel in between the shocks to keep the track from getting 'sucked' in between the idlers and locking up the track. First I had to enlarge the bearing to fit on the shaft 0.100" with this tool:

Then I cut the width of the bearing (1/2") out of the bushing between the shocks:

Ending with this:

To finally end with this, fits PERFECT:

Next added the ZXtend warning dont do this in 95 degree heat like I did, the suspension swelled up and it made things HORRIBLE To fit. I got it but took about 2 hours and a lot of cussing:

Next clearanced the stock exhaust basket by removing 1" of material so that in extreme bottoming out the track will not make contact:

I had originally planned the u cooler would exit the same location as stock but as you can see the exhaust cradle in the rear interfears with that so I had to pull it back about 2" and drill new 1.5" holes in my tunnel extension then riveted the u cooler in place high and tight:

Mock up is almost done and should just be able to bolt most things down and figure out how to trim off the yoshi pipe to make it look as clean as the rest of the sled:

More to come...Adding a 5 gal rev race to to add more fuel capacity for the 300+ miles days on a trail.

Scott (06-25-2012), TheBreeze (06-22-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Currently: Waiting to go riding
SnoWest Paid Sponsor
heinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond reputeheinracing has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to kinger9 For This Useful Post:
Scott (06-25-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
tek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 11-28-2017, 08:28 PM

Click Here to Register

joshkoltes (11-29-2017), Snowmixer (12-01-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Click Here to Register

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinger9 For This Useful Post:
Snowmixer (12-08-2017), volcano buster (12-07-2017), WyoUltra (12-07-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:55 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-06-2018, 12:21 AM
Currently: Restoring my old race sleds....
Reeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond reputeReeb has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 01-07-2018, 10:02 AM

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to kinger9 For This Useful Post:
Norway (01-21-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Currently: Looking forward to the first ride on my 2018 M 800 CTEC
d1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register