For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Arctic Cat: TURBO Turbo discussion for Arctic Cat aftermarket turbo sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Currently: We need some more snow already!
DeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond repute
Question Diagnosing Starting Issue - '07 BD TM8

I have an 07 M8 with a Boondocker, race gas, inter-cooled turbo set up (w/BD Box). I have had some of the normal "kinks" through the years, but this one has me pulling my hair out!

Started spring of '10 on a ride. Hillclimb (running 12#) mid-climb it shuts down. I idle down the hill, and it sounds like I smoked the turbo (sounds a little rattly on shutdown). We assumed this is the problem. We end up pulling it out of the canyon we were in by hand, and pulling the charge tube, and exhaust so I could idle back down the trail. About 5 miles later, it died, and wouldn't start. Towed back to truck.

Replaced turbo center section (2860). Went to start up and would barely sputter to life after holding throttle. Assume maybe reeds, as haven't changed yet this year (thought maybe sucked reed petal through damaging turbine). Reeds check out perfect, no issue there. Summer comes.

Pick up again where I left off a few weeks ago (Mid September).

When I pull over it just coughs and backfires.

- Checked compression - Good, 120 both sides
- Continuity tested tail light circuit - good.
- Has spark.
- Checked stator resistance just in case. Good
- Checked coils, visibly all wiring looks good (no wear, etc.)
- Checked grounds - 2 that I know of, BD and stock. Both look good.
- Checked all wiring for visible wear or grounding.
- Swapped injectors from BD set up to stock, no help
- Jumped Aux fuel pump, builds fuel pressure quickly, but doesn't hold well. Dies to 15# in 2-3 secs.
- Pinch off line leaving fuel regulator back to the tank. Pressure holds when I do this. With some throttle it starts and runs! Dies obviously when fuel pressure builds (10-15secs max)
- Sounds like fuel regulator. Borrow one from a friend. Install. Same Issues! No changes.
- Jump stock fuel pump. Works. Run briefly in reverse several times, just in case it has sucked something up. No change.
-After speaking to BD, we deem that there is a remote possibility that this regulator is bad as well (used one that had been sitting for a while...). Replaced with one from my brothers sled (same) that we know works. Same issues!
- Verify voltage at stock pump lead while pulling over. 17 volts. Should be good.

The only way I can get this to start briefly is when I pinch off the fuel line leaving the regulator back to the tank.

I don't believe now that it was the turbine that was my original problem. It is too easy to assume things and jump on them ($$..ouch at least maybe I have a spare )

I'm stuck, and not sure what to do next. Any input from you all would be GREATLY appreciated. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by DeepInTheTrees; 10-04-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Currently: Not set.
JHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond reputeJHG has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt this is the problem but the stator is grounded to the front of the block on the mag side, should be a 10mm bolt. Might be worth checking, other than that try hooking a 9 volt battery to the fuel pump and see if it starts.

You may also want to try unhooking the temp sensor and pulling it a couple times, if it sounds like it wants to start then plug the sensor back in and hold it wide open while you pull it over. If that works then you may have a weak stator coil.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Currently: Super Chuten
b1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like a leak in the tank. You say it will start and run if you plug off the return? And it builds fuel pressure at first and then loses pressure? The pick up is sucking air? Smart valves? Its something in the tank, you are using an external BD fuel pump so all the guts are missing out of the tank right? Its got an issue inside the tank I would bet you a beer.....or the pump is junk....

Last edited by b1dodge; 10-04-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Currently: Ready to ride
jensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond reputejensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problem

Could be a broken injector wire. Put a little gas in the intake of the turbo and see if she fires.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 PM
DeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond reputeDeepInTheTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Great input!

Big Hoe - I have checked that ground on the mag side and all is well. Haven't tried the 9v battery to the fuel pump, but I did "prime" it by using leads to a 18v dewalt battery. Prob. be better to hook the 9v up and actually pull it while under power, I'll try that.
I'll try that temp sensor, my thought has been an eratic or weak stator coil as well, but can't fig out how to prove it without replacement, this could be it.

B1 - That sounds on the right vein as well...everything inside the tank is stock, I just have an add'l external auxiliary fuel pump as well (The stock pump pushes through this external aux. pump, which is how they used to do it, which maybe that is part of the problem?.. What exactly are smart valves and where are they inside the tank?

Jensen - good thought, I'll try it out.

Thanks you guys!! Keep em coming. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.

-Deep

Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Currently: desert dirt bike stuff
hatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepInTheTrees View Post
B1 - That sounds on the right vein as well...everything inside the tank is stock, I just have an add'l external auxiliary fuel pump as well (The stock pump pushes through this external aux. pump, which is how they used to do it, which maybe that is part of the problem?.. What exactly are smart valves and where are they inside the tank?
that old setup was not optimal, most (almost all) have upgraded to what is now known as a single in-tank high volume pump.....you can always hook up 9v and see what going on before you go that route

Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 PM
hatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond reputehatchers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepInTheTrees View Post

The only way I can get this to start briefly is when I pinch off the fuel line leaving the regulator back to the tank.
this would also suggest the pump is junk, time for an upgrade

Old 10-04-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchers View Post
this would also suggest the pump is junk, time for an upgrade
I would agree that it is time for an upgrade, but all my tests show that both pumps are good (may still be the problem though...)

Aux pump has power, pumps fuel to pressure when jumped with battery, and holds pressure when fuel line pinched off after regulator (backflow valve good). So this should be fine by all accounts, right?

Stock pump - has 17 volts at recoil pull, when jumped w/battery it pumps to 29-30#(not enough??) when fuel line after regulator pinched and holds pressure. When fuel line not pinched, it dumps off the pressure immediately to like 15#(I'm not sure if it should do this or not, maybe that's my problem right there?)

Do you think I should just order the upgraded pump for the tank and eliminate this possible issue while upgrading? It just doesn't seem like it's the issue though.

I appreciate your input Hatchers! Sometimes I just get frustrated. Glad to have some more stuff to try!

-Deep

Last edited by DeepInTheTrees; 10-04-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 AM
product tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond reputeproduct tester has a reputation beyond repute

pull fuel rail off and check injectors for debrei in the top

Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Currently: Super Chuten
b1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond reputeb1dodge has a reputation beyond repute
Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Currently: '16 AXYS
smoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond reputesmoothdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Currently: Working on 2018 Proclimb mods
Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,391 Posts
RACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Currently: RIP A4PDOT You will be so very missed :(
Klimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeKlimbing Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Currently: missin the boost
harf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond reputeharf69 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Basic Member
Atwitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Click Here to Register

Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Currently: Braaaaap
Vertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond reputeVertical-Extreme has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 10-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Currently: Selling the turbo kit time for a new avatar
dubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond reputedubbs has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Tonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond reputeTonysnoo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Currently: Ready to Roadtrip
Basic Member
Hopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond reputeHopeitsnowzalot has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Basic Member
HARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant futureHARDICAT has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register

Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeepInTheTrees For This Useful Post:
blackjack85335 (03-25-2011), catunder (03-25-2011), colorado_matt (04-07-2011), killerrf (03-25-2011), reifnote@msn.com (05-09-2011), WyoBoy1000 (03-25-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Basic Member
catunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant futurecatunder has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to catunder For This Useful Post:
DeepInTheTrees (03-25-2011)