For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Fouled Plug Stuff not directly related to snowmobiles. ATVs, trucks, hunting, sports, boating etc. Please keep it clean.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Currently: ACTIVELY defend your right to ride.
Polaris & Montana Moderator
Thanked 7,836 Times in 4,528 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Default Road Bikes---cycling

I borrowed a road bike to pretend to train for a traithalon...I didn't work hard at all and only went on 2 or 3 rides in a month's time.

I DID like riding though. It's fast, relaxing and a good workout if you push it.

Did my first triathalon last weekend. (sprint tri at Seeley Lake)
The swim was a total abortion because...as I said... I never trained.
But I had a blast with the rest of it.

The ride was great and I passed an AZZ load of peeps on the ride.
Same with the run. It was easy. (I ran quite a bit in from middle school through college.)

I got the bug to train for these...and do more of them next summer.

Sooooooooooooo, I want a road bike.

NOT going to do road trips or anything just 25 to 50 mile training rides.
I plan to race Tri's but not doing regular cycle races.

Sooooooooooo, what I'm trying to say is that I'm looking for something that has the speed and aerodynamics of a time trial bike (for the tris) and the riding position a good fast road race bike.

I don't know if I'd buy a tt/triathalon bike but I can always clamp some aero bars on a regular set-up, right?

Anyone have experience or knowledge here?

OEM parts from Free Agent

Ambassador

Honestly, Honey!!! The shop paid for these mods. They sponsor me now. Really!

Last edited by Scott; 08-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Currently: ask you mom
RIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond repute

Scott,

....I'm not a bike snob but have 30+ triathlons under my belt and years of pretty solid training. I'll give you my feedback as a triathlete

1. In Mn if you go to a triathlon you will see all types of bikes in transition - point being you can race anything. Like sledding thou lots of people just like cool gear and end up with fancy carbon frames, wheels, ect

2. If you went to a forum like www.slowtwitch.com you could find years worth of reading on bike choices and still never come to a clear conclusion on 'what is best. It's kinda like clutching a sled......some work better than other for x-y-z.

3. Most 'serious' triathletes training on road bikes - it's not super comfortable to be in the aero positon for 60-100 mile long training rides.

4. Aero bars can be added to a road bike frame if you really thought you needed them - if you are doing short races (less than 1/2 iron) my guess is the time delta is only a couple seconds due to being more aero

5. Used bikes in the triathlon market are really good deals since there are so many people who either want the latest an greatest or simply only stay with it for a couple years. I personally found a QR Ti-Phoon on ebay new for less than 40% of what it would have cost new.

Good luck.

PS - you want to get in shape go to wresting practice

Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Currently: God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
mold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond repute

ROAD BIKE = A MOTORCYCLE WITH BAGS

Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Currently: [Too Long]
Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,313 Posts
m8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond repute

gee Scott...if a bike is getting your rocks off you should try snowmobiling...i think you would find it more enjoyable and you could spend the summers modifying it and going on a forum...heck maybe become a mod..
07/m8 141 900 bigbore, Stm valves, Bdx oil delete, adj fuel reg, bumper kit ,Rock rollers, light hub and rotor and post brace, Fastlane no snows and 9 inch 2 wheel kit ,Dayton weights, Shift assist, Timbersled intake, Mtn tamer and Barkbuster with fox evols , Diamond s hood, Boss shorty seat ,Rox risers, Koso egts , a/r , water temp guage .Mod ski's. 911 cover

400 pounds...!!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to m8magicandmystery For This Useful Post:
MountainTrashCat (08-26-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Currently: God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
mold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond reputemold has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8magicandmystery View Post
gee Scott...if a bike is getting your rocks off you should try snowmobiling...i think you would find it more enjoyable and you could spend the summers modifying it and going on a forum...heck maybe become a mod..
Is a mod one of them there male like creatures with breasts?

The Following User Says Thank You to mold For This Useful Post:
ski-doober (08-25-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Ok....I could maybe spend a lot of time on a road bike forum and infiltrate them.

Ridecats...
I have a question about aerobars...that outer bar with brake handles...is that the normal place you'd have your hands on regular bars when you place them on top the brakes (where most people put their hands)?

Soooo how much different is that position than a regular road bike position? Is the top tube shorter on a tt/aero bike?

I have a couple of links for you to look at:
Hmmmm....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I like this one:
http://classifieds.roadbikereview.co...ct=21400&cat=3

I like this one ALOT!!!
http://classifieds.roadbikereview.co...ct=21618&cat=3

Ambassador

Last edited by Scott; 08-22-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Currently: ProNation if full effect
B C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond reputeB C has a reputation beyond repute

If you spend $3500 on one of those I will kick you in the gooch!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
TIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond reputeTIM has a reputation beyond repute

scott

don't worry about the clowns not getting it.
I really can't help you with road bycylces. the 2 tri's i have done where on a mountain bike and a borrowed road bike. I have a cycle cross bike and i wouldn't think twice about using it to road train on.
Get a nice bike you will want to ride. check out the local tri club in missoula. you got them.
but your best bet would be to go to the local bike shop that caters to tri people and talk to them about basic road bikes and go from there.

this is going to sound corny, but cycling shoes make a world of difference.

tim

Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Garage

I've been using my mtn bike shoes...they are fine.

I've been to a couple of local shops.
It's the end of the season and a good time for me to have my name on the shop wall for a phone call when bikes are being traded in.

Ambassador

Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Currently: WestPac...deployment lite
RMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond reputeRMK7SledHead has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee is getting into Tri's...therefore, I am getting into tri's. She ran her second on Saturday and came in 7th in age-group, 180th overall out of 650+.

She did her first on her mtn bike. Still got first place. The next weekend I bought her my roommates '02 Giant TCR C2 (road bike, not tri) which he was upgrading to the Scott team bike (one of the nicest American made bikes I've seen). She LOVES her new bike and it's 8 years old! We've already agreed that when we feel the bike is holding her back, we'll get her a top-end bike.

I bought a 2-year-old Motobecane tri bike. Aluminum frame, carbon fork, nothing fancy...has stock aero bars and they SUCK! Paid $800 for it with pedals/cleats. Feel like I did ok on the price and the bike does what I need it to. It's fairly uncomfortable for 60+ miles, but for 20-40 it's ok.

What you end up depends on what you want to really do, and what you want to really spend.

If you honestly just want to do tri's, go buy a tri bike...but know what you're getting and that it'll be uncomfortable for long pulls. You're not a pro, the aero bars don't really help if you're legs aren't doing their part. Case-in-point is my fiancee smoking people on their $6000 tri bikes while she's on her $1000 road bike.

To do it right, you need two bikes. I'll be getting a road bike soon, for century rides, and we'll be buying her a tri-bike for her races. Her next race is Sept 11, my first is Oct 2 at the Pensacola tri.

The END GOAL of all this madness is her being on the USMC tri-team and both of us COMPLETING full Ironman's. FML, 140.6 miles is a LONG ways to go...

Check out this dude from Saturday...motivator was outta his shoes 1/4 mile before the finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	biker.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	109973  

Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Currently: Kickin arse!
Chubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Currently: CONTEMPLATING: "Laughter is gods hand on a troubled world.".
Thanked 9,310 Times in 4,120 Posts
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 PM
mountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond reputemountainhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Currently: Kickin arse!
Chubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond reputeChubby has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 08-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Currently: Parting M8 Turbo
TheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond reputeTheBreeze has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Currently: ask you mom
RIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond reputeRIDECATS has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Garage

Click Here to Register