• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: SKINZ Nytro "Air Frame" Seat Kit

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This afternoon my Skinz Protective Gear Nytro "Airframe" Seat Kit arrived. I requested this be powdercoated in Yamaha Blue as I thought it would add a nice touch to my Blue 2010 SE. Skinz was more than happy to accommodate this request and did a fabulous job on the powder-coating!

While I have not yet done the install, I wanted to let everyone know what was built and shipped to me.

Some may ask why I bother with the photos of the shipping material. Having been in custom manufacturing, HOW a specialty product is packed and shipped to the customer says ALOT about the overall quality of the product itself.

Skinz packaging and shipping was FIRST RATE!
Everything arrived INTACT without any scratches or abrasions, extremely well wrapped and boxed.

The overall quality of the finished product "Appears" to be excellent!
The beauty of their aluminum welds speaks volumes all by itself, but the saddle stitching on the seat and the accessory bag that goes underneath the seat are tight and well done!

As summer rolls along and I get this installed, I will add more to this post.

The Box
picture.php

The contents with 50% of the wrapping already removed.
This seat came EXTREMELY well packed.
picture.php

The Seat
picture.php

picture.php

Underside of the rear of the seat
picture.php

Underside of the front of the seat.
picture.php

Underside Front.
picture.php

Side View
picture.php

Under the seat accessory bag
picture.php

Side View
picture.php

Underside of the bag with mounting Tap for the Velcro Patches to hold it to the tunnel.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
First impressions.
The fit and finish of the seat is terrific.
When I press down on the seat the foam feels quite HARD to my hand, much harder than I would have expected.

But..

When I sat on the seat I was pleasantly surprised to find it Very Comfortable!
Its Narrow and its Solid, but there is more cushioning in the foam than I thought based just on pressing down on it with my hands.

Its going to be stiffer than the OEM Seat I am sure, but not nearly as stiff as it felt to my hand.

The added height and reduced width should make this a great seat for the mountains.

Will be interesting to remove the OEM seat and find out what the true weight savings really is.

And as for me, I LOVE the little underseat accessory bag.
Its a decent size, well made, water tight, and can be easily removed from under the seat using the Velcro fastener.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Won't know for sure till I get it all bolted on the sled.
Then we will see if the extra time to get it all custom powder-coated was worth it or not.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
We don't know yet, best thing to do is post a picture and see IF it looks like it will fit.

I would suggest taking some measurements on your turbo from the front mounting cover that orginally covered the muffler...there are some studs the cap screws used to go on...if you can get measurements of where the turbo comes out, and where it tips up etc.

then call Skinz and they can do some mock up stuff for you...they are VERY cool to help out like that...and knowing them would work with you on shipping it back if it was an issue...

they are great to work with...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I plan on bringing the sled up into the garage for the SnoWest 4th of July Party and then starting the long process of modification.

As I install each of the new parts, I will post photos along the way to the threads.

When its all done, I will go back through the threads, edit them, and then create a new one that has everything in a nice clean concise presentation.

E

essexy

Jul 29, 2009
Ames, IA
you da man! Like I mentioned on your "boards" thread, I'm curious on weight savings.... It's going to look sweet!:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Slowly working away at this as part of a major list of mods to the sled.

Old seat is off, and the exhaust is gone as well in preparation of installing their under the tunnel conversion.

I think I may splurge and have the exhaust cover plate powdercoated blue as well.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When the project is done and finished, I WILL.

All the extra comments, like yours, will be removed and a nice clean review will be posted there.

Till then, this is a work in progress and a good topic of discussion in this forum.

S

spikeydave

Oct 17, 2009
What was the weight difference between the 2 seats? Fit and finish look good so far, do you feel it was a worthy investment? I understand it will all depend on ride time in the end but curious as I have been eyeing this set up and still on the fence. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Honestly don't know.
Have not taken the time to weigh the old and new seats.
My #1 concern was getting the seat "UP" closer to a stand up position, and a narrower seat that when wet wouldn't let me slip back and forth or left and right.

Really will not be able to offer an honest opinion until I have had it out for the first ride of the season.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Premium Features